• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cable TV in southeastern Vermont

Southeastern Vermont is technically in the Boston DMA, however, it seems that Xfinity in that area only carries channels out of Burlington/Plattsburgh, aside from WMUR and WENH, both out of New Hampshire. I'm not sure how many cable companies there area left, but there's one I found called Duncan cable that's apparently the state's oldest cable company, in operation since 1972, servicing Dover and Wilmington. However, their lineup seems to be missing a lot of channels. Here's their lineup:

No ABC or NBC affiliates?? Zap2it does list WTEN on channel 10 and WCAX on channel 30, but they're not on the official lineup from the cable company. Also, on Zap2it, the "cable" and "digital" lineups seem to be reversed. One of them lists WTEN on 10 and the other one lists WCVB. But I do find this really weird.

This article published in October 2022 indicates that Windham County, VT was reassigned to the Burlington/Plattsburgh DMA:

There is also a Reddit thread where a YouTube TV subscriber in that area was unhappy with Boston local stations being replaced with the Burlington/Plattsburgh counterparts:

Looking at the Comcast/Xfinity channel lineup in that area, WBZ and WHDH are still carried there, but have been "tucked away" at channels 1194 and 1197. WMUR is on both channels 9 and 1009 - why that station still gets its legacy dial spot, I'm not sure. WCVB, WFXT, and WBTS were dropped entirely in that area.

I know this isn’t exactly the same, but I know that by a similar token, Bristol Co. is in the Providence/New Bedford DMA, and if you have YouTube TV or satellite there, all you get is Providence. I think the governor has wanted to move Bristol county into the Boston DMA, but I can sort of see why they associate with Providence, because it’s a lot closer than Boston. At least in some parts of Bristol county.

I went to college in Putney, Windham County, in the mid-90's (I live in my home state of CA now). We got WCAX 3 from Burlington, WNNE 31 from Hartford, VT/Hanover, NH, WBZ 4, WCVB 5, WHDH 7, W??? (FOX) 25, and I believe WLVI 56 from Boston and WMUR Manchester, NH (still technically Boston I think). I had a staycation in the north end of Brattleboro one time, and they had, IIRC, 6 (one of the Big Three) and 23 (Fox) from Albany (last I checked, Bennington County was in the Albany DMA, but the news about Windham County is new to me. I remember it being in with Boston).

I've never really known the laws on how markets are drawn, but the Tri-State Region of Brattleboro/Keene, NH, Greenfield, MA had always felt like a distinct small town urban area. Worlds away from Boston and at least inconvenient to the NY Capital District and its tri-state map area. So I always felt that it was appropriate for it to be a radio region, but also wondered why it wasn't a TMA as well (later I learned that, I think, WWLP 22 from Spfld. Mass had a semi-satellite channel on 10 in Brattleboro and Keene. But that was before I was born).

Back
Top Bottom