• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cable networks sharing a channel

In the mid90s I was living in Spokane WA and remembered that Comedy Central and VH1, instead of having their own channel assignment, shared time on a single channel. IIRC correctly VH1 aired in the daytime slot with Comedy Central taking over around 5pm. Do you remember networks sharing a cable channel in your area?

On Time Warner (or was it Warner Amex?) Cable in suburban Boston in the '80s, Channel 36 was WSBE Providence (PBS) until signoff (usually 11 p.m.) and SuperStation WTBS overnight.

For advertising purposes, adult swim and cartoon network are different "channels" and nick at nite and nick are as well.
Before this thread drift gets out of control, what's in play here is specific cable systems putting unrelated channels (like my example) into a channel-sharing arrangement, not situations like yours, and not like Noggin and The N, or, going way back, C-SPAN and MSG Network.

Before this thread drift gets out of control, what's in play here is specific cable systems putting unrelated channels (like my example) into a channel-sharing arrangement, not situations like yours, and not like Noggin and The N, or, going way back, C-SPAN and MSG Network.
(y)

Paragon Cable in Shakopee, Chaska and Jordan, MN in the early 90s had Univision from 6a-6p then PPV on channel 42. I worked at Radio Shack during that time and we sold Primestar. Sold a ton of them to the Spanish speaking folks with 4 simple words
Univision 24 hour day

I forget what was on 43 during the day but at night was also PPV. 44 had PPV all day and 45 was "hot choice" with adult stuff at night

In 2001 after Paragon got bought by Time Warner MTV2 was only on at night. During the day it was a shopping channel

I barely remember PASS and CMT sharing a channel in Manistee, MI (Mid-1990s). CMT during the day with PASS taking over in the evening.

When I worked for Jewelry Television, we got a couple of complaints that "there was some Spanish station coming in". In reality we were sharing a channel with a Spanish network on a subchannel.

We have Antenna TV and Me TV sharing a channel in the Knoxville market

C-SPAN and USA Network was a common shared channel nationally, because C-SPAN and USA shared the same transponder on Satcom 3R. C-SPAN had it until 6 p.m. Eastern, then USA took over until around 8 a.m.

in Kansas City during the 90s until they increased capacity, BET and CNBC shared the slot on the American Cablevision (now Spectrum) system, CNBC during the day, BET at night, they also used CNNSI as filler on Metro Sports

A couple of examples I remember from growing up near LAX on the Hollywood-Westchester system in its AT&T Broadband, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable days (now it’s a Charter Spectrum system):

Example 1
Channel 38 was shared by CSPAN2 and the then-Fox Sports West 2 (the then-cable home of the Los Angeles Dodgers, now known as Bally Sports SoCal). I don’t recall what time during the week that slot would switch from CSPAN2 to FSW2 or the other way around, but I seem to remember FSW2 occupying 38 all day on weekends; but if the Dodgers had a day game during the week, the channel slot would be switched to FSW2 regardless.

Both channels would get their own full-time channel numbers when Comcast conducted a January 2004 realignment of channels 2-99 putting all channels of the same genre (locals, sports, news, entertainment, etc.) together. FSW2 was moved to 61, just above the then-Fox Sports West (today’s Bally Sports West) on 60; CSPAN2 moved to 70, one click above the main CSPAN on 69.

Example 2
Channel 28 was shared by the Educational Access Channel (now UCTV) and the TV Guide Channel, back when it had the scrolling listings. By the time Time Warner Cable took over this system, these two channels would get their own full-time channel numbers, with the former staying on 28 and the latter moving to 29. Channel 29 would be removed when the scrolling listings were discontinued.

Anyone else here who lives (or lived) in or near that area is welcome to add more examples I may have forgotten.

Last edited:
On Comcast in Reston Virginia, Game Show Network originally shared channel space with the "Product Information Network" which was just infomercials. PIN aired from 8am-4pm and GSN aired from 4pm-8am.

Way back in the 28-channel days of the early 1980s, we had a bunch of shared channels. Nickelodeon and ARTS each operated half days, sharing the same satellite transponder, and some systems (like People's in suburban Rochester) still had them sharing a channel until they expanded capacity. I think C-SPAN originally operated daytime only on a transponder shared with MSG Network.

Found a 1981 cable listing from my hometown paper (Yakima Herald Republic) with lots of interesting sharing arrangements
Two different systems alternate Showtime and CSPAN, and also air WTBS when the local independent goes off the air
One system alternates Nickelodeon and SPN
Most interesting is a listing for "Atlanta, Madison Square Garden, House of Representatives". If I'm reading it right, that's a 3-sided split!

Some cable operators were still sharing NICK and A&E even after Nick at Nite was introduced. Selah WA's cable system was doing this as late as 1988.
Court TV and Comedy Central shared cable slot time in Seattle during the 1990s.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom