• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

C. Crane CC2e Observations

Hi all! I am a casual DXer (If there really is such a thing). I have a CC2e made on 2015 that works very well, but it took me some time to understand and get the most out of its behavior. I will discuss its AM (MW) performance, though it renders stellar performance on all four of its bands.

Its daytime performance during primarily groundwave signal conditions truly stunned me and still gives me thrills! Signals as far as 200+ miles distant pop up from its noise floor with a clarity of signal and richness of audio reminiscent of quality automobile radios of yore!

During nighttime listening when signals propagate mostly via skywave, my initial observations were not so favorable. This was especially true when tuned to frequencies that had multiple signals coming in simultaneously. It's as if the radio is purposely ignoring these signals. In fact, I believe that this is precisely how this set was designed to function. I noticed that if one of the mixing signals began to dominate over the other(s), the set would suddenly render it with vigor! It's as if the set is waiting for a single discernible signal before engaging some sort of signal regeneration functionality to amplify it. I noticed also that if a signal was fading in and out quickly (shaking), it seemed as if this signal regeneration function was engaging and disengaging rapidly. I detuned 1KHz and noticed that the shaking all but stopped. It's as if by detuning, the signal regeneration function was not engaging. Another thing I noticed is that the signal meter didn't respond unless squarely on a station's broadcast frequency. Again, I think this is related to the signal regeneration function. Finally I was able to prove my theory via a YouTube video featuring a CC2e receiving a transpacific signal in Japan from the US west coast. The broadcast frequency of the Japanese stations is 774 KHz. Notice that the signal meter is displaying signal strength when squarely on 774 KHz, but when detuned even by 1 KHz, the meter no longer functions even though the signal is clearly audible.
My conclusion and simple workaround for receiving shaking signals is to detune by 1 KHz. The volume will appear to decrease a bit, but I suspect it's due to the receiver not engaging the aforementioned signal regeneration function.Try this and see if it works for you.

Cheers,
Wayne

Hi all! I am a casual DXer (If there really is such a thing). I have a CC2e made on 2015 that works very well, but it took me some time to understand and get the most out of its behavior. I will discuss its AM (MW) performance, though it renders stellar performance on all four of its bands.

Its daytime performance during primarily groundwave signal conditions truly stunned me and still gives me thrills! Signals as far as 200+ miles distant pop up from its noise floor with a clarity of signal and richness of audio reminiscent of quality automobile radios of yore!

During nighttime listening when signals propagate mostly via skywave, my initial observations were not so favorable. This was especially true when tuned to frequencies that had multiple signals coming in simultaneously. It's as if the radio is purposely ignoring these signals. In fact, I believe that this is precisely how this set was designed to function. I noticed that if one of the mixing signals began to dominate over the other(s), the set would suddenly render it with vigor! It's as if the set is waiting for a single discernible signal before engaging some sort of signal regeneration functionality to amplify it. I noticed also that if a signal was fading in and out quickly (shaking), it seemed as if this signal regeneration function was engaging and disengaging rapidly. I detuned 1KHz and noticed that the shaking all but stopped. It's as if by detuning, the signal regeneration function was not engaging. Another thing I noticed is that the signal meter didn't respond unless squarely on a station's broadcast frequency. Again, I think this is related to the signal regeneration function. Finally I was able to prove my theory via a YouTube video featuring a CC2e receiving a transpacific signal in Japan from the US west coast. The broadcast frequency of the Japanese stations is 774 KHz. Notice that the signal meter is displaying signal strength when squarely on 774 KHz, but when detuned even by 1 KHz, the meter no longer functions even though the signal is clearly audible.
My conclusion and simple workaround for receiving shaking signals is to detune by 1 KHz. The volume will appear to decrease a bit, but I suspect it's due to the receiver not engaging the aforementioned signal regeneration function.Try this and see if it works for you.

Cheers,
Wayne
Nice!! Great catch!! What was your location when you picked it up and what time of day?

I don't understand your description of the CC2E's DXing characteristics, unless it has some sort of muting.

The alternative is that what you are describing is the way DSP chips seem to 'lock onto' a strong station. My PR-D5 sometimes seems to do that -- it's actually the AGC is slower than the AGC on my analog chipped radios (Superadios would be a good example). When signals kick in on my Sangean PR-D5, they sometimes kick in big time. And the PR-D5 has NO muting.

I don't understand your description of the CC2E's DXing characteristics, unless it has some sort of muting.

The alternative is that what you are describing is the way DSP chips seem to 'lock onto' a strong station. My PR-D5 sometimes seems to do that -- it's actually the AGC is slower than the AGC on my analog chipped radios (Superadios would be a good example). When signals kick in on my Sangean PR-D5, they sometimes kick in big time. And the PR-D5 has NO muting.
Perhaps what I described is a product of the digital signal processing. For certain, the described effect does not occur when off frequency by one or more KHz. So then when tuned to a signal that’s fading in and out at a rapid speed, tuning off frequency by one or more KHz makes the signal sound far more stable.

Perhaps what I described is a product of the digital signal processing. For certain, the described effect does not occur when off frequency by one or more KHz. So then when tuned to a signal that’s fading in and out at a rapid speed, tuning off frequency by one or more KHz makes the signal sound far more stable.
Understood. DSP acts differently, even when it sounds similar to analog in other ways.

One of my DSP radios (I have four total, three Sangeans and one Grundig), my Grundig, has AGC set so tight it's harsh compared to tight AGC on an analog radio. The others range from slow AGC, where the chip seems to 'grab onto' the strongest signal, to somewhere in between.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom