• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bristol Broadcasting Employee Accused Of Theft

I'm sorry, but how would ownership of some stations in a relatively small community not realize they were missing an average of $133,000 per year over three years? As an owner, I would notice that kind of money missing immediately.

One year a lazy bookkeeper stopped taking payments at least weekly to the bank, leaving them all in her desk drawer. We noticed the collected deposits stalled right away, found the checks in her desk, and immediately fired the bookkeeper. Took about a week to discover, not three years.
Another thing; first this story called her position an "Office Manager". Then a few paragraphs down, she got a promotion to "general manager". Two vastly different roles.

I'm sorry, but how would ownership of some stations in a relatively small community not realize they were missing an average of $133,000 per year over three years? As an owner, I would notice that kind of money missing immediately.

Exactly. North of ten grand a month for more than three years from a three-station cluster in Paducah? That's a significant chunk of cash flow in market #212.

Exactly. North of ten grand a month for more than three years from a three-station cluster in Paducah? That's a significant chunk of cash flow in market #212.
To be honest, Paducah is far-flung from the rest of the Bristol group, and I'm not sure how hands-on the ownership is in keeping track of it. I'm sure Covid helped her hide some of the revenue loss, and I wonder if the auditors started looking closer when things didn't take an upturn.

To be honest, Paducah is far-flung from the rest of the Bristol group, and I'm not sure how hands-on the ownership is in keeping track of it. I'm sure Covid helped her hide some of the revenue loss, and I wonder if the auditors started looking closer when things didn't take an upturn.

Yeah, but damn. Ten grand or more a month?

A hands on station owner will catch a thief quickly. However if one is an absent owner the GM can get by with this for a long time. Here's how. The GM does trades for personal gain and cooks the books. He gets his home remolded and gets a nice personal RV.

He needs to be both responsible for sales and the books to pull this off.

A hands on station owner will catch a thief quickly. However if one is an absent owner the GM can get by with this for a long time. Here's how. The GM does trades for personal gain and cooks the books. He gets his home remolded and gets a nice personal RV.

He needs to be both responsible for sales and the books to pull this off.

Yeah, but this was an office manager (I'm sure the "GM" reference was a typo). You're talking a medium-to-large market morning drive salary ($133,000 a year) that suddenly is vaporizing monthly from a cluster in market #212 for close to three and a half years.

How does that go unnoticed by corporate?

Discounting the obvious inaccuracies of this story, a couple statements in particular jumped out at me:

"These court documents allege that she used her position as office manager and access to company funds "to schedule electronic payments for personal expenses that had been charged to chopping accounts and a BP Solutions/FleetCor Funding credit card," she said"

Not sure who 'she' is they're referring to, or what a "chopping account" is, but reading between the poorly written lines, it seems likely Lawrence was setting up automatic electronic payments to her checking account labeled as expense payments. The company books should have shown how much was spent on reimbursable expenses for each month, or at least a quarter. The Owner, CFO, Business Manager, or whomever responsible should have picked up on all the unassigned expenses, or patterns of payments to this woman in particular. Since they mentioned a company credit/fuel card, my guess is she was claiming to pay that particular credit charge, then 'reimbursing' herself double what the actual charge was. That's where the wire fraud claim comes from.

"As a general manager of Bristol Broadcasting, Lawrence had access to the stamp signature of Bristol Broadcasting and is also being accused of writing checks to herself using the stamp signature to authorize them."

Now there's a textbook example of the dumbest thing a station owner or CFO can do. You don't have your signature on a friggin rubber stamp! What the Hell? That's inviting someone who sees the opportunity to rip off the company. 'They don't pay me what I'm worth, so I'll just make up the difference and they'll never know.'

Back
Top Bottom