• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

BOORTZ/IMUS: how is one different from the other?

T

troone

I care about this issue barely enough to post about it, but here's a crack nonetheless: How are Boortz's ad-libs about Cynthia McKinney's 'do-rags and ghetto hair' any different from what Imus said about the Rutgers womens basketball team? Typical talk-radio patter. Honestly, I was shocked at the fallout of the Imus comment.

Maybe he, Sharpton and Jesse have a under-the-table pact to crosspromote each other a la Rosie, Trump and BabaWaWa.

Imus has been in the spotlight for years. I wish Sharpton would give up and get a real damn job. If the comment would have been made about a WHITE team, then there would have been no flack whatsoever. BUT the problem is ..... You cannot make any comments about anyone of color, you will be sorry if you do.. Heres another view of this.. WAOK 1380 am ! I have heard on so many numerous occasions, thier talk hosts asking questions like, Do you trust white people? Why dont more of us (BLACK) people, do business with WHITES? Its plain, pure and simple,Imus is now being considered racist for his behavior, BUT what about the above station who is programmed for blacks only? Why is this correct? Why is O.K. for WAOK to make comments about whites, but NO ONE can make remarks about those of color? Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, are plain and pure RACISTS... I do listen to all stations in the Atlanta Area, and I believe if Imus is a racist, then WAOK its staff , and management should be suspended as well. The race war needs to end, and the only way it will , if AL, Jesse, and the rest are pulled from the airwaves with thier speech of hate.

Boortz and Sharpton are two sides of the same thing. Each has an excellent feel for 'pushing the buttons' of his particular audience. They're both entertainers and they're both pretty good at it. It amazes me that both of them are able to return to the gullibility of their respective audiences again and again, and get the same reaction.

troone said:
I care about this issue barely enough to post about it, but here's a crack nonetheless: How are Boortz's ad-libs about Cynthia McKinney's 'do-rags and ghetto hair' any different from what Imus said about the Rutgers womens basketball team? Typical talk-radio patter. Honestly, I was shocked at the fallout of the Imus comment.

Maybe he, Sharpton and Jesse have a under-the-table pact to crosspromote each other a la Rosie, Trump and BabaWaWa.

I think the difference here is that McKinney is an 'unsympathetic' character. Most people dont feel sorry for her, so if Boortz calls her a 'ghetto slut' ( which is what he said she looked like ) it's hard to make a case that she has been 'damaged', especially when she does so much to damage herself. And, IIRC, he backstroked on that comment pretty quick and took the 'apology train'.

The BB team, however, is seen as some 'poor, helpless, student athletes' being 'oppressed'. ;)

When Boortz makes an offensive statement it's usually to accompany a political or class issue. Imus's statement is purely an insult aimed at specific women with no context or reason. He was an ass to say that both in regards to the racial aspect but especially the "ho" part, the women on the team haven't done anything to deserve that and it's just an unjustified degrading insult. It's not fair to compare Boortz to that, Boortz may make offensive comments but with a deeper context and more wit. Imus was just a classless loser more akin to a Taliban mullah or trailer trash domestic abuser than an interesting talk show host.

To the previous poster, I'd think the jury's out on whether calling McKinney a "ghetto slut" carries a "deeper context and more wit." It's all rubbish, isn't it?

I believe Imus is in trouble for precisely the reason Howard Stern is mocking him: he apologized too quickly and too soberly. If he had said, "I'm Don Imus, I'm going to continue to say these things and I dare you to fire me ", this would have blown over. Thats what Boortz would have done too.

Besides, calling a woman you dont know a "ho" is a throwaway line, albeit a juvenile one. But it doesn't mean anything. Are the Rutgers women offended because they're worried Imus implied they moonlight as prostitutes? They obviously aren't 'hos.' He knows, they know it, everyone knows it. It's up-the-tower-and-forgotten, and the Bob Grants and Howard Sterns say much worse every day.

Sometimes it's better in a creative art form to just salute with your middle finger and continue to do your thing.

Jesse Jackson and Sharpton are about to make Imus rich. After Imus resigns and/or gets fired XM/Sirius will probably come calling with megabucks. While not intentionally, these people are doing Imus a great favor.

Lesse.... McKinney - a politican. Rutgers - college girls.

I don't think it was the host as much as it was the subject.
Would Imus call Hillary a slut? - possible, but probably not.
Would Boortz call the Ga. State Womens basketball team a bunch of "hos"? - probably not.

It's funny, but I've heard people on the radio in Atlanta refer to the AJC radio writer as Ho. And I don't recall Al Sharpton ever complaining.

lilburncommunityradio said:
Imus has been in the spotlight for years. I wish Sharpton would give up and get a real damn job. If the comment would have been made about a WHITE team, then there would have been no flack whatsoever.

I don't think anyone would have called a team of white female basketball players 'nappy-headed hos'.

And to your point about Sharpton, part of his M.O. calls for speaking out and lending his name toward injustices, both perceived and real. While I certainly don't support every fight he throws himself into, he's definitely doing his 'job' speaking out and taking a side. The very fact that you had to think about the issue just enough to type a response? A partial victory.

Sneaky, isn't it?

here's a clue about Imus.....he's already rich,....very very very rich.

IMUS opens up shop in ATL

Quick search on superpages.com....

OH My Nappy Hair
237 Mitchell Street Southwest, Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 221-8900

Nappy & Happy Hair Studio
2764 Campbellton Southwest, Atlanta, GA 30311
(404) 344-5225

:D

I agree that Imus screwed the pooch by grovelling up to Sharpton, after he said something pretty stupid. He really should have gone on the offensive and played every insulting thing that black comedians say along the same vein, and pointed out it was a comment in jest. Live and learn I guess, he will have a lot of spare time on his hands now.

BD

To make the answer really easy: Boortz is a conservative windbag who parrots what the right wing wants him to. Therefore what he says can never be construed as racist. Imus is a bitter old man who panders to the left. Therefore everything he says is wrong. Not only should he be fired but he should be drawn and quartered in the public square, or at least on Hannity and Liberal Guy.

I listened to Hannity, and he's said that though he doesn't like Imus personally, he doesn't feel Imus should be fired over this "mistake" in Imus' 35-year career.

Neil Millman said:
To make the answer really easy: Boortz is a conservative windbag who parrots what the right wing wants him to. Therefore what he says can never be construed as racist. Imus is a bitter old man who panders to the left. Therefore everything he says is wrong. Not only should he be fired but he should be drawn and quartered in the public square, or at least on Hannity and Liberal Guy.

Neil, I rarely say this on these boards, but you really do not have a clue.

Imus 'panders to the left'? Really?

Which left was IMUS pandering to when he did this?:http://imonthe.net/imus/ispeech.htm

The best thing that could be said about the Imus show was his willingness to go after both sides.

I find it interesting that the usual suspects on the left that condemned Imus' for these kind of actions, now call them his 'homey' since he backed Kerry ::)

Honestly, try to listen to some of these hosts you are flaming once in a while.

With all the riches that Imus has why doesn't he just syndicate his show himself? Does CBS own all 70 stations that he is on? I don't think so! Seems pretty simple to me. Then he can keep even more money for himself just like oprah did and still does with Harpo Productions!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom