• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Book updated for 21st Century Audience

Back when I was in high school (probably my sophomore year - Winter 1998) I received a copy of "Don't Look Behind You" by Lois Duncan as a gift. I've had to replace it a couple times for various reasons. The last time I needed to replace it, I found out that the book was no longer being printed. The book came out in 1989. Fast forward to The Summer of 2010 and it was on both the website for Borders and Barnes & Noble that the book was being re-released in October 2010. With the Barnes & Noble Gift Card I received for my birthday on Monday, I went to B&N in Waterbury yesterday and picked up a copy of the book. I read it last night and was surprised to see it had been updated for a 21st Century Audience. That explained why it was unavailable and then re-released.

Some of the changes:

In the original version (released in 1989) they described April's bedroom and it mentioned a stereo with records below it. The new version mentioned a stereo with an Ipod deck.

In the original April's brother Bram mentions Saturday is 2 for 1 Night at Video Plus and that he and a buddy who was going to sleep over would rent all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. In the new version he says they're gonna rent all the Harry Potter movies.

In the original April's boyfriend Steve drove a Honda Prelude. In the new version it's just a Honda without a make or model mentioned.

In the original it mention that people called April's teacher Mrs. Winnender Mrs. Wind-without-ender behind her back. That fact is left out of the new version.

Some other changes: People Magazine became Entertainment Weekly, a purple sweatshirt became a purple hoodie, mentions of cell phones and texting, etc.

With all the tighter rules about flying that occurred after the tragic events of September 11, 2001 the whole part about the family flying after their names were changed after entering the Witness Protection Program had to be rewritten.

Other changes a VCR became DVD Player. Video became DVD. April's mom's station wagon became an SUV, a station wagon with a family inside on the interstate became a moving van, April's typing class at school became a computer class, her mother uses a computer to write her novels rather than a typewriter, and April's mother says "Everyone is using digital cameras" that's why Zip-Pac (the photo finishing shop the government bought for them in the Witness Protection Program) is failing. In the original she says this isn't a tourist town where people are constantly getting film developed and that's why it's failing."

I think it's a cheap shot from the author. Instead of writing a new book for a new generation, she "updates" an old book and recycles it to the chagrin of her original fans.

I can understand how Hollywood would take a classic novel and make 21st century embellishments for a movie screenplay, but I don't get it when fiction authors themselves do it to their original book......

Bongwater said:
I think it's a cheap shot from the author. Instead of writing a new book for a new generation, she "updates" an old book and recycles it to the chagrin of her original fans.

I can understand how Hollywood would take a classic novel and make 21st century embellishments for a movie screenplay, but I don't get it when fiction authors themselves do it to their original book......

There was a made-for-tv movie based on the book that aired on FOX Family sometime before ABC bought the network. There were too many changes. Patrick Duffy played April's father in the movie. Same thing happened when her book Killing Mr. Griffin became a made-for-tv movie on NBC. Jay Thomas (of radio station 99X Fame) played Mr. Griffin.

"I can understand how Hollywood would take a classic novel and make 21st century embellishments for a movie screenplay, but I don't get it when fiction authors themselves do it to their original book."

Product placement. The author's probably getting monetary kickbacks from the companies who own the brands the author mentions (Sony for the DVD Video mention instead of videotapes, some phone company for the mention of the cell phone, CrApple for its I-Plod device instead of the phonograph, Universal for the Harry Potty garbage, &c.) Sounds to me like the author's really just trying to cash in on the disgraceful state of modern pop culture.

Bongwater said:
Lazy writer. Lazy audience (or at least she hopes they are).

[/quote]
[/quote]

Marc lazy? Noooooooooooo ;D

[/quote]

Marc lazy? Noooooooooooo ;D
[/quote]
I doubt cartboys were in her target audience, but I see what you're saying. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom