• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

bitrate layout??

B

bossmsx

Does anyone know how the bitrate layout is panning out for HD-1 vs. HD-2s in most (or all) markets?? Stations on FM transmitting only one channel use 96kbps....Initially, it was discussed when multicasting first was in the planning stages that a 64kbps bitrate would be used for the primary, and a lower-fi 32kbps bitrate would be used for the HD-2....But it seems stations are using higher than 32 for the HD-2 (and therefore less than 64 on HD-1)...Is there an agreed standard, and if so, what is it? Also is anyone (with radios, lol) hearing anything on HD-3s in their markets, like NOAA weather or AM simulcasts?? Here in Miami we have WQAM on WPOW's HD-3, and NOAA on WKIS' HD-3, and I know when I was in Philly in September they had WWDB-AM on Wired 96.5's HD-3, and a loop with taped newscasts from other markets on WXTU HD-3.

> Does anyone know how the bitrate layout is panning out for
> HD-1 vs. HD-2s in most (or all) markets?? Stations on FM
> transmitting only one channel use 96kbps....Initially, it
> was discussed when multicasting first was in the planning
> stages that a 64kbps bitrate would be used for the primary,
> and a lower-fi 32kbps bitrate would be used for the
> HD-2....But it seems stations are using higher than 32 for
> the HD-2 (and therefore less than 64 on HD-1)...Is there an
> agreed standard, and if so, what is it? Also is anyone
> (with radios, lol) hearing anything on HD-3s in their
> markets, like NOAA weather or AM simulcasts?? Here in Miami
> we have WQAM on WPOW's HD-3, and NOAA on WKIS' HD-3, and I
> know when I was in Philly in September they had WWDB-AM on
> Wired 96.5's HD-3, and a loop with taped newscasts from
> other markets on WXTU HD-3.
>

HD-1 48
HD-2 47

When you add HD-3 you are changing from MP1 to MP2. You add an additioanl 12kHz of carriers. So you have HD3 at 11 lHz.

96Kb total to be divided up into as many slices and with any ratio the station so chooses. They can even add some extremely low bitrate streams for information like continuous traffic & weather streams or local high school sports events.<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
_______________</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom