• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

billy the janitor

Ya lost me on this one..Can you expound?? Only Janitor I know was on WLOF in the 60's and the other a Rock act in Orlando? Explain? APE

billy the janitor worked for clear channel maitland when i was there in the late 90s, was shot and killed in orlando last summer.....with cc he was on-air guy at WJRR and he did promotions.

i remember the mr. johnson character that john lander did on WLOF......same guy????

i worked with billy when he was doing promotions at CC :p in melbourne...i am still heartbroken that he is gone. he was a GREAT guy...promotions wise, dj wise and just all around sweetheart of a guy....as of yet, they have not found the animal who killed him....i hope they have not given up on finding this subhuman....

i think what everybody is asking...........is how and why he was killed. Your right, great guy, great dad, and a blast to party with, loved baseball too.

from what i've heard around...he was on his way back from a WJRR gig with the equipment in his truck...don't know if it was a robbery, attempted car jacking or just a random shooting.....

He was employed by CC Melbourne at the time full time and still did a Saturday shift at WJRR. He was leaving a side gig that he DJ'ed every Friday night and was heading back to the maitland offices to V.T. A shooting occured while he was in his personal vehicle and he was pronounced dead at the scene, all of his DJ equipment were still in the bed of thr truck untouched. To my knowledge the monsters that did it are still on the loose. No one knows what really happened although people love to gossip and say what they think they know as truth. What I DO know is that he was a great father to his daughter, he was a great co-worker and he was one hell of a friend.

OK, Bad story, but I'm still confused..Was it John Lander from WLOF in the 60's or not.. Rutledge, You on this board yet???

Big Ape
It was not. Billy was in his late 40's and lived in another state prior to working at CC Maitland

Re: Billy the Janitor

Big Ape
It was not. Billy was in his late 40's and lived in another state prior to working at CC Maitland

Billy was 45 when he passed away. He was shot by a teenage gang member, but I won't share the details of why he was killed. Two years after Billy was killed, his shooter was shot by another person and left to die on the sidewalk, very close to where he shot Billy. Prior to moving to Orlando, he worked at radio stations in Reno, Spokane and Portland. He moved to Orlando in 1998. His daughter was the apple of his eye. She still suffers the painful loss of her dad every day. He was a loving husband and dad.

I Knew Billy Well

I was the PD and Morning host at the talk station in Melbourne when Billy was killed. He was an amazing man, and we put on some great station events together. The best one was the golf tournament that raised thousands of dollars for the March of Dimes in 2006. The day after it happened, Market President Barb Latham called everyone into a meeting and announced the terrible news. Everyone was devastated as we all loved Billy. Years later, Barb and I worked in Orlando together and we used to reminisce about Billy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom