• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Billboards

David. WLW doesn't need folks under 40. They need folks under 70. And an FM extension buys them that. It's all a house of cards, but to invest that kind of money on an AM only play is foolish and in disregard of shareholders

They do just fine 45+ and 45-54. The problem is that there is nobody in the cell just under 45 who is going to come to the party either on AM or with a talk format on a simulcast. The "future audience" does not consume media the same way.

DE. Look at the trending data. They are not "fine". I want to see this station make it. They are on the path to AM doom. It's mostly a product issue, but an FM automatically makes them 10 years younger (I'm sorry I don't have the actual data to shsre to back that up)

DE. Look at the trending data. They are not "fine". I want to see this station make it. They are on the path to AM doom. It's mostly a product issue, but an FM automatically makes them 10 years younger (I'm sorry I don't have the actual data to shsre to back that up)

They are averaging 2rd or 3rd in 35-64, and #1 in men in that demo. In a market that has 90% local, non-national revenue, that is good for quite a few years to come. And, as BigA says, a winning team would help.

And, as BigA says, a winning team would help.

Anyone notice who's been winning lately? The Reds beat the Cubs twice!

Of course that wouldn't have meant anything ten or twenty years ago. But these days, it's like the return of the Big Red Machine!

Makes me hunger for Skyline Chili.

Given E.W. Scripps business model of digital, digital; and more digital, I can't see how buying the Grand Old Lady (WLW) would in the least bit fit in. I'd think if Scripps was staying in radio they'd at least keep Milwaukee and ditch the rest of the hodge-podge of medium markets they inherited from Journal (which don't seem to be anywhere near actually moving). Then, would iHeart actually sell either WLW or it's Cincinnati cluster? I seriously have my doubts.

I'm with you Big A. Some skyline and a winning Reds' team will put a bandaid on a whole lot of WLW's pain... As opposed to the latest silly Marc Chase body stunt... really? Hello 1992.

What do you all think of Willie’s latest nude photo stunt?

It was a bit odd, if only because it didn't seem to have a goal - it really did nothing for on-air/live ratings. Driving people to a blog sounds good if you're trying to sell web ad impressions but a 5 second glance at a photo isn't exactly heavy site traffic. Other people at the station were never going to participate so any charity angle was DOA, assuming they intended to have one. If we're frank and honest, it sounded like much of Willie's antics in The Rachel Era: a circuitous exercise in flirting in which she participates willingly and Mrs Cunningham (ie the Judge) is expected not to object - although she was not impressed with this stunt.

Mind you, this was tame stuff compared to the video during Rachel's first stint in which she sat on his lap as he waffled about this or that topic. For the record, I think she's been a fantastic addition and missed her while she was gone. She enjoys the banter, thankfully, and her cynical persona is good comedy value. I do feel bad for Seg who has been relegated, again, to a bit part during his own Stooge Report especially as half the station rushes in to leer at Rachel and everyone is on mic. It's ironic that someone as stunning as she is doing mostly radio although the Detroit misadventure confirmed she has higher aspirations ie TV, probably sports.

The circumstances of her departure are still unclear...there were various hints and mentions of an engagement (I think she may be married now). The Wildman Walker incident clearly was very hurtful to her - probably because he was an abusive jerk - and she gets frosty indeed whenever his name is mentioned or he comes on air.

As for Willie's photos, the constant talk of their limited life span on the site was a bit naive or disingenuous considering most of the world knows how to capture a screenshot. They kept implying that one set of management/lawyers approved the photos while another set condemned the photos - which doesn't make a lot of sense. I admit I'm still unclear as to whether he was actually punished (suspended) for a week or if it was merely a scheduled vacation around July 4. They tolerate a lot from him (thankfully) and he's just signed a fat new contract so it can't be all bad.

I also note that the much-mentioned 'new clock' in terms of segment length has gone out the window quickly. He was obviously frustrated by having to cut interviews off in the middle and by the brevity of the Stooge segments so we're back to 10-15 minutes of on-air content and interminable news/ad breaks lasting anywhere from 7 to 15 (!?) minutes.

I agree Rachel is a bright spot on WLW. She's smart, relevant, and tuned in. Everything the old men at the big one aren't.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom