• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Female DJ's of the 60's and 70's?

Also from KROQ...Katie Manor.

And, deprived of her chance to wow Los Angeles because of a ridiculously restrictive format....Lindy Thurrell was awesome in afternoon drive at KLOK, San Jose in the late 70s and very early 80s. She went to KHTZ, Los Angeles for evenings in 1982-1983 (after Bobby Rich left) and was reduced to reading liner cards. She did some work at KWIZ and KNOB from 1984-1986, but hasn't been on the air since. She and her husband are the founders of The Academy of Radio and TV in Orange County.

---Michael Hagerty

Robin Wood & Mary Peale from WEBN 102.7 in Cincinnati, back when WEBN was all about progressive rock. Sexy voices, good looks

Robin retired after many years on the WEBN morning show and now owns a flower shop. Mary Peale is still playing progressive rock saturdays on 89.7 WNKU, the Northern Kentucky University non-commercial station. Who Knows? You just might hear the Joy of Cooking, Tonto's Expanding Headband, or even Those Who Are About to Die, Salute You, by Colosseum. Me, I liked Time Gonna Change Everything by Lucifer.

Those WERE the days! I agree with a previous post re "Crash" Corban, she was wild! And great! For me though, back then when WMMS was blazing a musical trail that opened so many doors for so many of us, it was Dia (Dia Stein) with that voice that was like silk in a dimly lit smoke-filled room (and yes, was she EVER "smokin' hot"! I remember seeing her at the Agora, and, whoa!!!!... but I better better get back to the subject at hand! haha!) that I enjoyed the most. She seemed to just nail it in what she played. I heard she left for the East coast after the Buzzard in 89 or 90. Wonder what ever happened to her. And what her phone number is!

Karen Key was awesome in Country Music 7 to mid on WIRE in the hey day of Country radio Indianapolis. She hosted evenings with big ratings 1977 to 1984.

michael hagerty said:
Wow.

We've all overlooked a true giant.

She started as a board engineer at KMPX for Tom Donahue as a teenager.

She then became a DJ herself at KMPX and KSAN.

Then to Los Angeles.

KMET...

KROQ...

And you can still hear her on satellite radio.

Dusty Street!
http://www.dustystreet.net/flyLow.html

---Michael Hagerty
Wasn't she first cousin to Dusty Rhodes of WSAI fame, who is still going strong on Cincinnati's Oldies 1480?

My vote goes to Carol Miller, of New York's WPLJ and WNEW FM! ::)

Markieo said:
My vote goes to Carol Miller, of New York's WPLJ and WNEW FM! ::)

She's terrific. I'd read about her in the trades during the 70s, but never heard her live or on tape. A month or two ago, my wife was listening to XM/Sirius and Carol was on. Excellent jock. I'd have listened to her daily if I'd been in New York back in the day.

---Michael Hagerty

There was also Robin Young who did weekend overnights on WBZ in the early-mid 70s. I never thought she was all that great, but she did have a following. I think she later went into TV.
I believe her weekend run at 'BZ was 1975-76.

Yeah, I know I'm bumping up an ancient thread, but I couldn't resist. I was one of that following that Robin Young had. I was in college in central New York state, came across her show while scanning the AM band one night, and thought her personality and the music she played were great. Since she would often talk about letters and phone calls from listeners (although she only did open phones just once) I even created an "International Robin Young Fan Club" for her and sent her a few hand-crafted "newsletters," which, yes, she read from on air. Of course, there was no one else in the "club," not even my roommate, who never understood what I found so great. But it's still a fun memory from years gone by, and I may be one of the few listening back then who's not surprised that she's still on the radio now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom