• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bell Media Nationalization

Huff

Administrator
Staff member
Bell Media continues to nationalize its local stations, first with "Pure Country" and "Virgin Radio", now ten ACs across the country become "Move"

I believe CHUM FM did not become Move 104five because there was already a short lived Move 93five in the Toronto market that Bell media may have chosen to distance themselves from.
Different owner, different formats. lol
Currently Flow 93.5, owned by Stingray, the former Move 93five was hip hop driven while the current Bell owned Move FM stations seem to be Variety Hits driven.

I think CHUM-FM keeps it name because of its heritage and/or trying to separate from their sister station in St. Catherine 105.7 Move-FM. Besides 105.7 CHRE signal can be easily heard in Toronto towards downtown and lakeshore areas.

I think CHUM-FM keeps it name because of its heritage and/or trying to separate from their sister station in St. Catherine 105.7 Move-FM. Besides 105.7 CHRE signal can be easily heard in Toronto towards downtown and lakeshore areas.
Heritage??? You do know other market Heritage stations are history right? C100 Halifax, Fly FM Kingston, and indeed, if those other two are not as heritage as CHUM FM, what about QM FM in Vancouver??

Odd enough, back in the day, there was an Easyrock 97.3 and an Easyrock 105.7 back when the two were the same company, so it's been done...how wise it is to be the same is anyone's guess. They just figured nobody's gonna go all the way out (from Toronto) to shop in St. Catharines and drive all the way back. (the "different market" mentality)

Oh & FYI, CHUM FM is not doing very well in ratings...so something has to be done soon.

A station that has few or no listeners today has no heritage. The name, having been familiar, has obtained an image as "yesterday´s news" because it tarnished. The heritage value is minimal... sort of like ancient brands like Brylcreem, Ipana and Burma Shave.

It's too bad Stingray is clinging onto the Canadian rights to the Breeze FM name. (it would seem)
CHUM FM needs to change, but without being a direct threat to their sister station Virgin radio 999 FM
Going after CHFI from a softer perspective would be very smart. Toronto could do with a station like that.
Maybe Bell might be interested in a Warm FM cookie cutter?
(assuming that name is not already in cookie cutter use with someone else in Canada)

Flow 93.5 has weaker ratings, and perhaps could go Breeze FM, if desired, but I'm not aware of any possible licence agreements with the CRTC (in 2021) that may be preventing a format change there. (Flow 93.5 is owned by Stingray)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom