• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bay Biz 1470 WMGG goes Spanish AGAIN.....

Not that anybody really cares about this station going Spanish music again. But it was nice to be able to hear TOH NBC Radio News with their television talent like Pete Williams, Luke Russert..Too bad that it was the only thing worth listening to between 10am and 5pm Mon thru Fri.... :mad:

Well, with the outstanding success (LOL) Genesis has had
with ESPN Deportes (Orlando), it is remakable all Genesis stations
do not begin broadcasting in Spanish. It certainly would not hurt
any of their PPM's, might actually help the "Big Show" on WWBA.

What kind of spanish on AM-1470 is it like it before like AM-820 or the former AM-680 Rumba?

They cant have ESPN Deoprtes AM-1550 has that in Tampa Bay own by ZGS Communications

Still AM-1470 singal kind of weak i can barely pick them up here in the north florida big bend but it not a storng singal like WWBA-1040 ESPN

Oh no, Dave Ramsey loses another Tampa affiliate!

In another instance where I don't get the thinking behind a station group management, why would WMGG go to Spanish Music when there are numerous other English language formats uncovered in Tampa Bay?

When it was announced that 1470's programming was moving to 820, I had posted that I hoped the then redundant 1470 would not be euthanized with Spanish, and the more I think of it, the more that makes sense. Why would it make a wise business move to program music on AM when there are at least 3 other competing music stations with similar sound, and one of them is on FM. It has been said on this and many other boards that music on AM is dodgy at best. Why does it make sense for the smaller Spanish speaking demographic, as opposed to the larger English speaking one?

On my earlier post I listed several options that 1470 could do that might make more money, and possibly be easier to sell spots on.

All-news audio feed from CNN - cheap to do and it has been done in other markets.

Swing and Big Band - WGUL was not running dead last when Salem took over. Denny Bateman and Les Forrester could pick up where they left off. Smedge (I think) suggested that this was a no go as long as WDUV was around, but I submit that the Dove is more of an oldies station with little to no DJs. 40's on 4 definitely sounds different.

98.7 just dropped Smooth Jazz - The Avenue could provide inexpensive unique programming that might pick up a piece of WSJT's abandoned audience.

If Genesis was planning on selling all of their advertising inventory as a package amongst their Tampa Bay cluster, a Spanish sister could not be sold alongside their English speakers too easy, I would think.

SCMcKinney said:
In another instance where I don't get the thinking behind a station group management, why would WMGG go to Spanish Music when there are numerous other English language formats uncovered in Tampa Bay?

When it was announced that 1470's programming was moving to 820, I had posted that I hoped the then redundant 1470 would not be euthanized with Spanish, and the more I think of it, the more that makes sense. Why would it make a wise business move to program music on AM when there are at least 3 other competing music stations with similar sound, and one of them is on FM. It has been said on this and many other boards that music on AM is dodgy at best. Why does it make sense for the smaller Spanish speaking demographic, as opposed to the larger English speaking one?

On my earlier post I listed several options that 1470 could do that might make more money, and possibly be easier to sell spots on.

All-news audio feed from CNN - cheap to do and it has been done in other markets.

Swing and Big Band - WGUL was not running dead last when Salem took over. Denny Bateman and Les Forrester could pick up where they left off. Smedge (I think) suggested that this was a no go as long as WDUV was around, but I submit that the Dove is more of an oldies station with little to no DJs. 40's on 4 definitely sounds different.

98.7 just dropped Smooth Jazz - The Avenue could provide inexpensive unique programming that might pick up a piece of WSJT's abandoned audience.

If Genesis was planning on selling all of their advertising inventory as a package amongst their Tampa Bay cluster, a Spanish sister could not be sold alongside their English speakers too easy, I would think.

Jazz wouldn't fly on AM, especially with the sound quality at the upper end of the dial. The Spanish format might be for national buys, Genesis has an ESPN Deportes outlet in Orlando...

SCMcKinney said:
I think The Avenue is the programming on 1410 and 1660 in Fort Myers/Naples.
You are correct!

What was interesting to me, I was in Albany NY for a week at the beginning of this month and the only Florida station I received in Albany (either in the car or the hotel room) was 1660 just before local sunset in Naples (7:30 pm is the magic time for September) just before they powered down, but when they did power down, they completely disappeared.

No other Florida station was receivable, in my dx experience there.

There is a station in Albany (5,000 watts at 590- WROW) that has similiar programming that is locally produced. (they're live from 5:30 am - midnight).

drt
st. petersburg,fl

I disappointed because Genesis would use 1470 to put Dave Ramsey, sports broadcasts, NBC Radio News and paid programming on here and you wouldn't have to use WWBA or WGUL. You would think that some kind of English language programming could be sustained on 1470. If Genesis has other Spanish language stations, I guess it is easy to slap it on 1470...

The reason 1660 was audible in Albany, NY is that it is non-directional, and the high end of the AM band skips like shortwave some times! Still, it's surprising that with as many stations as there are on 1660, you were able to get WCNZ.

HadYourPhil said:
The reason 1660 was audible in Albany, NY is that it is non-directional, and the high end of the AM band skips like shortwave some times! Still, it's surprising that with as many stations as there are on 1660, you were able to get WCNZ.
I remember one nite when HadYourPhil was running a DX Test errr, testing the transmitter at high power and taking phone calls from all over. Back then I think Marco Island was the first 1660 station in the country.

sbe1 said:
HadYourPhil said:
----------------
from SBE1
I remember one nite when HadYourPhil was running a DX Test errr, testing the transmitter at high power and taking phone calls from all over. Back then I think Marco Island was the first 1660 station in the country.

Knowing that other 1660's are on the air now, I was still somewhat surprised to get the Avenue, I was in the car, about halfway between Hudson and Albany NY around 7:15 and by 7:30 when the 10,000 watts n.d. switched to 1,000 watts n.d. I was on I787 around Troy or Albany. When I was receiving the Avenue, it was not only strong but without any interference, then nothing after the power switch.

drt,
St. Petersburg,FL

I enjoy listening to WCNZ 1660 when I am driving around Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties at night. It comes in with very little interference and once in a while I will lose it and comes right back. The Avenue music format which I am sure is coming off the satellite is pretty good. Hard to believe they carried Chicago Cubs broadcasts this past year..You wonder if they have any other plans to bring in other broadcasts.

So far, no one's noted the irony of Lou Dobbs getting replaced by espanol.

A similar thing happened in 1996, when Chuck Harder's last outlet in the Tampa Bay area became LA MEGA, later LA LEY.

Wonder whatever happened to 1470's CP to relocate its towers to Ybor City and Egypt Lake? Their nightime signal is most of Tampa is miserable. That CP move would make a big difference in most of Tampa & St. Pete. Of course, like any change, something's gained and something's lost...

smedge2006 said:
So far, no one's noted the irony of Lou Dobbs getting replaced by espanol.

A similar thing happened in 1996, when Chuck Harder's last outlet in the Tampa Bay area became LA MEGA, later LA LEY.

Chuck Harder was on in Tampa after 760... for a long time he was on the SAP of TV Channel 38.

Ahhh yes... Those fun, fun, fun test programs on 1660. Glad I saved all of them. They were a gas.
WCNZ is running anything it can think of to make a buck. IMHO, the Avenue format is a good idea poorly executed. For their sake, I hope it works!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom