• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Back to the drawing board for 850

Saw on Demetri Ravanos' Facebook page that he is leaving WPTF's 850 outlet. That will make at least 4 morning shows since that station launched in January. Do you think old man Curtis is ready to throw in the towel on AM?

per the headline for this discussion topic; if Don Curtis is taking this back to the drawing board, let's hope he uses a computer instead of the crayons he HAS been using!

why bother to simulcast on SJS? The station obviously is going into its death spiral. Did JR and the morning misfits make even a pretext of covering the national convention that was taking place just down the road? (actually, they might have gone through the motions with their cbs correspondents in order to fill time. I wasn't really paying attention during the 8 minutes of my life I wasted listening to the station in early sept.)

although 850 is cited specifically, could 'death spiral' apply to AM in general?
(and yes, Death Spiral has already been taken as a name for a band)

the distinction between AM and FM is becoming a moot point as listeners gradually but steadily move to the streaming option. Eventually, all cars will have some version of it too, by way of dedicated satellite channels or some kind of rolling wi-fi option, even in small markets. It's all about programming now. AM station owners who understand that will do just fine. People like don curtis will fade into oblivion.

disgruntled said:
why bother to simulcast on SJS? The station obviously is going into its death spiral. Did JR and the morning misfits make even a pretext of covering the national convention that was taking place just down the road? (actually, they might have gone through the motions with their cbs correspondents in order to fill time. I wasn't really paying attention during the 8 minutes of my life I wasted listening to the station in early sept.)

WSJS hasn't covered a thing in years and they've completely thrown in the towel as a news outlet. Even when Smith Patterson was around....I can't even remember hearing a report from their staff. I mean a real report with field sound, not some voicer rip and read with AP copy in their own studio.

Whenever I heard Bob Campbell doing newscasts.....then you know they don't give a s**t. I actually like Bob as a host but his delivery doing the news was unbearable, I'm sure it wasn't his decision to do news either.

Is anyone actually in charge in Winston? is it just people from Raleigh? I know about the GM issues but that's sales....is there even a P.D.? or someone with some sort of title that is responsible for the programming.

stafferman said:
Is anyone actually in charge in Winston? is it just people from Raleigh? I know about the GM issues but that's sales....is there even a P.D.? or someone with some sort of title that is responsible for the programming.

Matt Clark has the title of Operations Manager, but his duties are more reflective of what an APD would do at a real radio station (board-op scheduling, merging logs, etc). It's the same thing I did when I was there (when we had a PD). I get the sense that he doesn't have any real pull whatsoever with what programming appears on that station.

To be fair though, what PD's or Ops Managers out there really do have that say anymore? Seems like 95% of the decision making for terrestrial radio stations is done by people sitting in the corner office at corporate HQ. Curtis Media, sadly, is pretty much the same way.

It all comes back to hiring good people,letting them make decisions and do their jobs and treating your AM like a real radio station instead of its "just the AM". Live Local Profesional radio will still work on AM but you can't do it half way. You should either do it right or don't do it at all and simulcasting your FM on your AM should be against FCC regulations period!!! Just my two pennies worth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom