• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Back To The 80s Syndicated Show

raygauthier

Inactive
Inactive User
There was a post recently that was inquiring about a 2 hour 80s show I hosted and produced a few years back.
What I found intriguing was that I myself was possibly considering on bringing this show back. There wasn't much support for it
at the time when I did have it running, maybe because of the craze of hip hop and rap was sweeping the land. I still think the 80s is the best format ever and maybe now is a good time to think of bringing it back if there was enough demand for it that is.

This is my question to you all, I don't know if any of you remember this show or not, but would this be something stations would want. Back To The 80s was a well produced and researched show with music at the highest quality.

First hour consisted of a top ten from a random week in the 80s, second hour continued with requests and more music from the 80s. Thing is what would be better, a One hour or a two hour weekly show and would there be much demand for it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Much obliged to the mod's

Ray Gauthier

raygauthier said:
There was a post recently that was inquiring about a 2 hour 80s show I hosted and produced a few years back.
What I found intriguing was that I myself was possibly considering on bringing this show back. There wasn't much support for it
at the time when I did have it running, maybe because of the craze of hip hop and rap was sweeping the land. I still think the 80s is the best format ever and maybe now is a good time to think of bringing it back if there was enough demand for it that is.

This is my question to you all, I don't know if any of you remember this show or not, but would this be something stations would want. Back To The 80s was a well produced and researched show with music at the highest quality.

First hour consisted of a top ten from a random week in the 80s, second hour continued with requests and more music from the 80s. Thing is what would be better, a One hour or a two hour weekly show and would there be much demand for it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

Much obliged to the mod's

Ray Gauthier

Speaking as a radio listener, I probably wouldn't tune in an 80's show, and I really loved most of the music of the 80's.

I recall the 80's as being the time of the English synth-pop bands and American hair-bands, both of which I liked. But it was also the beginning of rap, which I couldn't stand. Any 80's show that mixed rap with English synth-pop and American hair-bands is a show I wouldn't listen to.

If I can a radio station where I could make programming decisions, I'd rather find some local guy with a good CD collection and the gumption to sell his own spots and give him an 80's show rather than just plug into something syndicated.

Well thanks for the positive comment ;). It's a good thing I don't listen to every comment I received. Maybe you should hear the show before you cast it out. :)

I would never mix rap or hip hop, I cant stand it either, so assuming I would add it to my line up of songs is well, from your thoughts not mine, I do things allot differently. I also have more than just a good CD collection, I have songs you haven't heard since they were released. That is what the show was famous for, surprising people with songs that are impossible to find.

But thanks for your thoughts any how.

raygauthier said:
Well thanks for the positive comment ;). It's a good thing I don't listen to every comment I received. Maybe you should hear the show before you cast it out. :)

I would never mix rap or hip hop, I cant stand it either, so assuming I would add it to my line up of songs is well, from your thoughts not mine, I do things allot differently. I also have more than just a good CD collection, I have songs you haven't heard since they were released. That is what the show was famous for, surprising people with songs that are impossible to find.

But thanks for your thoughts any how.

You didn't post a link to anywhere I could have listened to it. You didn't mention anything in your launch post in which you asked us to take some time out of our lives to help you other than what's in there. You asked "would this be something stations would want", with no other details describing the show. The best answer I could give was to make some assumptions about what your show was like. So, I gave you some "if, then, else" responses. If your show contained this, then I wouldn't listen, otherwise maybe it would.

If you want a more detailed answer, then you'll have to pose a more detailed question. There's no need to get all snarky about anyone not knowing the details that you didn't include.

raygauthier said:

I wish you good luck. I hope you get some stations to pick it up.

I won't be tuning it in. I tried listening, and after almost a minute and a half with nothing but "production" and that mega-annoying Grango character, I was looking for a new station button.

Did you set out to combine the worst of 1960's over-the-top Top 40 with music of the 1980's, or did it just work out that way?

I'd be very interested in knowing what songs you played on that demo, but I don't think I could stomach "Grango" for more than a few seconds at a time. Maybe, if the song selection was really great, I could listen to your show with the volume turned down as background noise, and turn up the volume when a good song came on, and then turn it back down when Grango came on.

On the plus side, Grango was slightly less annoying that listening to Gilbert Gottfried and Fran Drescher do the play-by-play for a baseball game.

Talk_Dude said:
raygauthier said:

I wish you good luck. I hope you get some stations to pick it up.

I won't be tuning it in. I tried listening, and after almost a minute and a half with nothing but "production" and that mega-annoying Grango character, I was looking for a new station button.

Did you set out to combine the worst of 1960's over-the-top Top 40 with music of the 1980's, or did it just work out that way?

I'd be very interested in knowing what songs you played on that demo, but I don't think I could stomach "Grango" for more than a few seconds at a time. Maybe, if the song selection was really great, I could listen to your show with the volume turned down as background noise, and turn up the volume when a good song came on, and then turn it back down when Grango came on.

On the plus side, Grango was slightly less annoying that listening to Gilbert Gottfried and Fran Drescher do the play-by-play for a baseball game.

Thanks for the positive feedback, Grango was very much popular with allot of people when I ran the show before. But then again you would need a sense of humor to appreciate that. ;D

Can't please everyone. :)

Syndication is a very dog eat dog full of freebees and finicky people.

In commerical radio, especially in the USA, it's all barter, no cash involved, or if it is, it's not common. Networks want local radio station inventory time in trade for some well known names to be on their station. Casey Kasem initially sold the show to stations for maybe $30/wk, but because he was doing something so unique at the time, there was no national countdown show, he went on with 7 stations and still had a hard time making a go of it for years. More recently, known celebrities have gotten into the mix, with John Tesh, Donny Osmond, Alice Cooper all well known names because they have network promotional support national name recognition and have done other projects.

For online streams, it's can be a struggle. It's a wild west online with thousands of stations, a lot of which are hobbists not generating revenue and it's coming out of their house. I'm one of them. with streaming costs, and socan fees for me in canada, yeah, $20/month adds $240/yr out of my pocket and really, I have to ask what is being done that is unique that I couldn't get anywhere else? as a programmer I have to have a reason to run the show.

FREE is certainly a great motivator if the quality is there. I've got one guy who can contra at least to time life for his music. Yes, he's free to me, another does a oldies show for an hour straight, again for free. I could nick pick them to death, but they overall sound good and since the station is largely automated, it's good to have another voice on the stream.

On the other side of the coin, I do my 1/2 hour Dr Demento style syndicated show Cheeze Pleeze and it goes out for free. It was an hour, but it really got to be a chore for the amount of work I put into it. Still, It's a hobby and creative outlet for myself and my wife, so we cut it down and it seems to have worked. We have a few stations including one who has been with us for years. As we are such a niche, I'm glad to have what I do.

Unless you have a network behind you, or have some Commerical FM's ready to pay cash, which is uncommon in the world of network barter or are unique in your genre you choose (like the beatle brunch) it can really be a hard sell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom