• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B96.3

seaqkumba

Inactive
Inactive User
Question for those of you there in the MSP market... Do they (96.3) have a market grade signal in the eastern part of the cities? In other words, does their Glencoe epicenter harm their ability to get Arbitron #s?

> Question for those of you there in the MSP market... Do they
> (96.3) have a market grade signal in the eastern part of the
> cities? In other words, does their Glencoe epicenter harm
> their ability to get Arbitron #s?
>

Absolutely. KTTB has serious coverage problems in areas like St.Paul.

<P ID="signature">______________
www.airamericaradio.com
</P>

Theoretically, their 60 dBu is supposed to cross through downtown St. Paul, and they're probably 65ish in South Minneapolis... but I've noticed serious difficulties in both areas. The downtown St. Paul buildings, and the river bluffs especially, seem to generate a fair bit of multipath. (The signal is tolerable in my car... but that doesn't mean a thing for folks attempting to listen in offices or on cheap portables.) I've even heard actual dropouts in my car south of downtown Minneapolis, between all the rowhouses / apt. buildings / etc.Funny thing is... for all their difficulty in serving their target market with a strong signal, their weak contours go absolutely FOREVER, owing to the relative absence of other signals on 96.3 in the Midwest. There's a classic-rock station on 96.3 in Keokuk, IA, but the river terrain must be blocking it from the rest of Iowa... because I've regularly -- no tropo involved -- received B96 at least perceptibly (and sometimes strong enough to listen with a stereo pilot) on a number of short stretches between Martensdale (south of West Des Moines on 35) and Osceola. (My all-time record was at Missouri mile 110 of I-35, just north of Eagleville... 4 miles south of the Iowa border, and 310 miles from the station!) A good friend of mine in Eagle Grove (near Fort Dodge) could pull in a full-quieting signal on his Clarion car receiver. (Ames and Des Moines proper, however, didn't have much of a chance, due to a strong local from Madrid on 96.1.)

Interestingly, CC has an application in for a translator in South St. Paul, I believe, for 96.3, for KTLK. One way to stifle your competition.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom