• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

B105 Ends It's Gardening Radio Program "In and Around the House"

Following last week's show, B105 ended its home improvement radio program "In and Around the House" due to budget cuts related to Covid-19

The show started in 2011 and had ran regularly on the country music powerhouse, WUBE, from 6AM to 9AM EST on Saturdays. It was hosted by local horticultural experts, Tony Works and Bob Bard. Ernie "Fat Man Brown" was cohost of the program until he was let go by Hubbard Radio in December of 2018.

You can hear it from the horse's mouth here.

Does this leave Gary Sullivan and Ron Wilson as the only home improvement radio shows left in town?

Why on earth was there a horticulture program airing on a country station? Truly strange.

Following last week's show, B105 ended its home improvement radio program "In and Around the House" due to budget cuts related to Covid-19

The show started in 2011 and had ran regularly on the country music powerhouse, WUBE, from 6AM to 9AM EST on Saturdays. It was hosted by local horticultural experts, Tony Works and Bob Bard. Ernie "Fat Man Brown" was cohost of the program until he was let go by Hubbard Radio in December of 2018.

You can hear it from the horse's mouth here.

Does this leave Gary Sullivan and Ron Wilson as the only home improvement radio shows left in town?

You learn something new every day. I had no idea Ron Wilson aired anywhere other than Columbus. I've heard his show here for years and just now saw we get a Columbus-only version on WTVN.

It's very easy to get sponsorship for this kind of show. And there's nothing more country than working in the garden.

Very few country radio stations, especially in PPM markets, embrace a country lifestyle. And the reason for that is simple: few listeners live a country lifestyle in Florence, KY or Mason, OH -- or Philly or Charlotte or Seattle for that matter.

If there was a gardening show on the country station in Panama City, Florida, that's way more expected.

B105 should be the number one station in the market in non baseball books. If you see the research, they underperform the format opportunity....a lot. Even more now that they have a classic flanker.

B105 should be the number one station in the market in non baseball books. If you see the research, they underperform the format opportunity..

If you look at the city demographics, their ratings have mirrored some of the shifts in the population.

There's also saturation of the format with 3 country stations that sound the same. Not to mention the fact that you have so many smaller country signals outside of the metro area. I doubt Cat country 94.1 is hurting them much though.

The classic country station has also become very competitive. In Nashville, the Nash Icon station often beats the two currents based stations.

How is classic country doing outside 55+? Does '80s and '90s country have cross-generational appeal the way classic rock does? We don't have a classic country station in Hartford/New Haven, but when I'm out of state, I often listen to Nash Icon and Outlaw branded stations and like what I hear -- Alan Jackson, Hank Jr., Mary Chapin Carpenter, Clint Black, Patty Loveless, Garth Brooks, etc. But I'm 65. Are there really enough people in the money demos to make the "success" of classic country stations meaningful in $$$?

I'd find it hard to believe nobody gardens in the 'burbs.

Very few country radio stations, especially in PPM markets, embrace a country lifestyle. And the reason for that is simple: few listeners live a country lifestyle in Florence, KY or Mason, OH -- or Philly or Charlotte or Seattle for that matter.

If there was a gardening show on the country station in Panama City, Florida, that's way more expected.

How is classic country doing outside 55+? Does '80s and '90s country have cross-generational appeal the way classic rock does?

I'm surprised how many 30-somethings love 90s country, and know it as current music. But I imagine the bulk of their audience is over 40.

Then again, the classic rock station is also in Cincinnati's Top 5.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom