• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

August 2016 Boston Radio Ratings.

Kiss and Magic have seen better days. :rolleyes:

My 2 cents

a)WROR is Classic rock hits. No Motown or dance music

b)WBQT is NOT Rhythmic AC

WROR is definitely "classic hits". Motown is too old for many classic hits stations and quite a few such stations exclude disco era tunes or severely limit them.

"Classic Hits" is not the same as "classic rock".

WBQT self describes to Nielsen as "Rhythmic AC". BDS describes it as rhythmic.

WROR is definitely "classic hits". Motown is too old for many classic hits stations and quite a few such stations exclude disco era tunes or severely limit them.

"Classic Hits" is not the same as "classic rock".

CBS FM in New York is Classic hits

I said ROR is Classic Rock hits

WBQT self describes to Nielsen as "Rhythmic AC". BDS describes it as rhythmic.

The original intent may had been Rhythmic AC but when you start playing Hard rap like Drake the AC factor goes right out of the window

WZLX used classic hits as slogan years ago though it was maybe more classic rock.WROR may have a slightly harder edge than what, say, WODS was playing. Some stations previously known as "oldies" wanted to ditch the o-word, reminded people they were getting old? ODS opted for "Boston's Greatest Hits" for a time.

At the time WODS ditched oldies I noted maybe their oldest stuff was from 64 or so (I Wanna Hold Your Hand heard on day before the switch) and "if you were 12 in 64 you're 60 in 2012". Yes most of their stuff was after that--they even added the 80s toward the end..but they changed format and ROR competition had to be a bit of a factor.

WZLX used classic hits as slogan years ago though it was maybe more classic rock.WROR may have a slightly harder edge than what, say, WODS was playing. Some stations previously known as "oldies" wanted to ditch the o-word, reminded people they were getting old? ODS opted for "Boston's Greatest Hits" for a time.

The former WODS "Classic Hits" playlist from just before their format change, featuring some hits of the late '60s and heavy on hits of the '70s and '80s, is still playing on their HD2 channel (with no DJ's).

The big difference from WROR is not just a bit of a "harder edge" on WROR, it's also that the WODS "Classic Hits" format played many major late '60s/early '70s Motown hits and some other major Soul/R&B hits of the era, and major '70s disco and R&B hits of the '70s and '80s, genres that the WROR "Classic Hits" format won't touch at all. The WROR "Classic Hits" playlist is strictly rock/pop hits, none of the Soul/R&B/disco/dance hits that were played on WODS are played at all on WROR. I guess you can't argue with consistent #1 books, though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom