• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audio editing program for Mac?

A

activestatic

I love love love using Adobe Audition, however Mac and Adobe Audition are not compatible and never will be according to Adobe. Adobe is starting to push for their Soundbooth program. It is now included in their Adobe Creative Suite package but not Audition. Audition 3.0 is $350 but Soundbooth is $199. It appears to have half of the capabilities that Audition offers but it is Mac compatible. My point being I already own a fully licensed version of Adobe. Apple has Soundtrack Pro 3 but it is only part of their Final Cut Suite starting at $999 and not as a stand alone product for sale. I need something with Audition and Soundtrack Pro capabilities but at a decent price more in line with Audition's pricing for a single program. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Why not buy a cheap PC or even an XP Netbook can handle recording/editing with Audition. That way you can keep it offline, use your Mac for that.

Not a Mac hater, it was my first computer.

Hi Active Static - I think Adobe did a major disservice by not porting Audition over to Mac and now pushing Sound Booth as the thing to do in a multi-platform world. I happen to work at a facility where I have Audition 1.5 in a production room that is shared and in my office I have a Mac Book Pro with Bias Peak LE and Audacity.

I do all my CD Ripping, EFX Building,Tight Editing, Mastering and CD Burning on Bias Peak LE. For Audacity, I do all the multi-track work then to export as a stereo file to be mastered by Peak LE.

Luckily our machines are all networked so there are times where I'll put together a spot/best of show/sweepers on my computer in my office and just transfer the finished file over to the production room to upload to automation.

Jeff

Three more things I forgot to add:

1. Once you set up Bias Peak and Audacity, you have to download add-ons to export MP2, MP3, & MP4 (AAC). They already handle wav and aiff files quite well as is.

2. I also have a freeware program that I think is really cool when I convert from wav to mp3, it's called Switch. If I have more than two files to convert, I use that program. Windows and Mac Compatible.

3. Speaking of Windows and Mac Compatible, Audacity is also compatible for not only those two platforms, but also Linux for the real geeks of the world.

Jeff

If you have an Intel-based mac you can run Adobe Soundbooth. It is somewhat close to Audition but i still haven't warmed up to it. I find it seems to crash often running under Snow Leopard (10.6.2).

Then again, if you have an Intel-based Mac you can always use Boot Camp, load XP on it and use Audition. I plan on doing this during my weekend off.

Hi Bill - I downloaded Sound Booth demo for my Mac running Snow Leopard and I spend more time restarting the program than getting to really know the program.

Jeff

Just bought Logic Pro 9 here, and SoundTrack Pro 3 is included in the package -- you don't have to buy the whole Apple video production suite. My Mac Pro from B&H Photo also came with free Parallels Desktop 5 to run as a dual-boot machine. So that opens up the possibility of using Adobe Audition 3 as well. I haven't loaded that on yet; I'm totally new to Mac and trying to learn it. The quality is awesome.

I went with Logic specifically for the SoundTrack Pro composite vocal capabilities...and the fact that one of a video editor friend was very pleased with the time compression and take-balancing tools. He does use the whole Apple Final Cut Pro/Logic/etc. suite and likes it overall.

A simpler solution preferred by Beau Weaver is TwistedWave at http://www.twistedwav.com. TwistedWave + Melodyne might be a great solution.

The possibilities are endless; only the money is finite. ;-)

Happy Editing!
jj

I have Audition 3 on a Windows 7 Boot Camp, but as I had Soundtrack Pro with my Final Cut pro package I did some multi-track work (music, jingles, sweeps and Voicetracks) yesterday for the first time using SoundTrack pro and actually was surprised by the speed I was able to do it compared to Audition. Still a ways to go learning more of SOundtrack but first impessions were excellent.

Couple of gotcha's, don't export to MP3 from Soundtrack Pro, it does it in real-time, export to AIFF or WAV (Real fast) and then use Compressor to convert to MP3. Collectively a whole load faster.

Cheers, Richard

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom