• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audacy Layoffs

The study I referred to was not done by Arbitron.

I did the study with our in-house research division, SIP, back in the early 2000's for HBC to allow a better evaluation of stations they bought, particularly rimshots. We looked at 5 of the top 10 markets and 5 of those between 11 and 25 and 5 in the 26 to 75 rank. We tabulated the data on ZIP Code vs home and work (when known) location for millions of diaries of adults 18 and over.

We found that 80% of all fixed location listening was in the 70 dbu coverage area and 95% was in the 65 dbu area. Nearly none was outside the 65 dbu area, and those that were generally were very close to that contour or, per Langley-Rice, in an area that actually had better coverage.

Since there has been no significan change in receiver technology in the last 15 years or so, the results are

Sounds like very interesting research. Would love to see something like that done for today's Greenville. However, regarding statements to the effectiveness of 40dbu signals in reaching listeners, you must have discovered that passionate formats tend to perform better, even through signal challenges. WZWK has a passionate audience.

FM stations are protected out to their 60dbu contour. However, they are generally quiet, even down to below 40dbu. Where the issue of quieting becomes an issue is when stations suffer interference from co-channel and adjacent channels. Some stations do well out to their 30dbu. Some you can't hear beyond their 60.

Who would buy it? And better use for whom? Greenville is a perfect example of an "over-radio'd" market. Too many stations for market #191. That dilutes the audience to the point where a bunch of stations end up with less than a 1 share. No matter what they do. My take is it's being used in the most efficient way it can, given the signal.

Well I don't wanna say 104.9 isn't more useful potentially as another K-Love station but Greenville only gets a weak signal from WLXK near Shelby NC. That would complement them well.

Or maybe HIS radio can take it for their other format and trade off 103.9 or 89.7 instead.

Another option is to move X98.5 or Awesome 99.5 to a stronger signal, all better options than whats painfully on there now.

I drove by WZWK's small tower yesterday, it looks high up but its actually quite low compared to neighboring Roper Mountain and the big hill where where Hilton Greenville is, I think that area would be much better for their site since its much higher, or something closer to Downtown. ERP really shouldn't have been lowered to 25 watts, its not very high HAAT. and almost lost the signal 5 minutes after leaving their site.

There's still a few places within 2 miles where the signal is almost non existent, such as the I-85/I-385 interchange, as well as going up Pleasantburg Drive just above 385 towards Wade Hampton. In these areas I was getting interference at equal strength from a different 101.5 translator near Tryon NC (repeats WCQS).

Their 107.7 signal is also pretty bad unless you get well above downtown Greenville but I've heard their signal well (better than 101.5) near the Taylors area.

It's a great station if you're lucky enough to be within 1 mile of their site and you can leave it on all day if you never leave the area.
The current tower is 59 meters HAAT. Old site was 30 meters. Currently double the height. Granted the station has signal issues scattered all over, it does have 3 co-channels, 2 1st adjacent and 101.1 with full HD to contend with. 107.7 has 2 or 3 problem stations as well. In a market like Greenville, tower space is not cheap.

I see some advantages with WZWK's current site, and also their old site.

Their current site has a much stronger signal in the area just East of Downtown / East of Pleasantburg Drive where I seem to spend more time whenever I'm in town.

The old site was much better in other ways however definitely giving a stronger signal near downtown, which was closer.

On paper the coverage map says the 60 dbu contour should reach downtown Greenville but it definitely cuts out almost completely at times well before then, too many obstructions near ground level even a few miles away.

Yes this station has a loyal following for those that want an alternative to other commercial cookie cutter stations in the market (iheart / Audacy) and the people running it are a blessing to the community.

Last edited:
Yes this station has a loyal following for those that want an alternative to other commercial cookie cutter stations in the market (iheart / Audacy) and the people running it are a blessing to the community.
That is exactly the purpose of LPFM stations: to provide services that appeal to smaller audiences that could not be successful commercially but which fill a need in the community.

I see some advantages with WZWK's current site, and also their old site.

Their current site has a much stronger signal in the area just East of Downtown / East of Pleasantburg Drive where I seem to spend more time whenever I'm in town.

The old site was much better in other ways however definitely giving a stronger signal near downtown, which was closer.

On paper the coverage map says the 60 dbu contour should reach downtown Greenville but it definitely cuts out almost completely at times well before then, too many obstructions near ground level even a few miles away.

Interference from both Tryon & Brevard translators who, both at 10 watts, seem to have unrealistic signals cause WZWK problems downtown. On the south end, WORD's Anderson translator eats up important areas. However, you should drive 85 from one side of the signal to the other. It's about a decent 8 miles. That's a major route for those who work in Greenville. Certainly not the best signal, but pretty solid. Most of Greenville (with the exception of west & downtown) are OK. Also, the station now has a signal on Woodruff where it was pathetic before the move. 107.7 is only 10 watts but it is 266 meters higher (ASL - not sure its HAAT as its on Parris Mt). Its 60dbu shows it should do better in areas as well, but it does do pretty well in areas in Taylors and patches between Greer & Easley. Due to interference, those were areas WZWK never reached. Interestingly, in many places, where 101.5 doesn't come in, 107.7 covers and vice versa. So, there were likely winners & losers in the transmitter move. 101.5 sits there with a 300 watt transmitter set to 80 watts TPO. Don't doubt there have been moments of temptation over the past 7 years...

Another option is to move X98.5 or Awesome 99.5 to a stronger signal, all better options than whats painfully on there now.

Those two stations are HDs owned by Summit. WROO is owned by iHeart. Two different companies.

I'm sure if a religious company offered to buy WROO, iHeart would gladly sell.

I don’t see iHeart giving up a C3 signal in a market where they have 4 FM’s and a useless 50kw AM and another AM with a non existent signal in many areas unless someone is really willing to pay. Most FM’s they’ve sold have been the former Aloha stations, or rimshots that don’t serve much purpose. If anything, the sports format is probably a decent combo sell with the rest of the cluster even with dismal ratings.

GSP is a large market EMF is missing from. They could have bought 103.9 if they had wanted to when it was on the market forever. I’m not sure how many ears they’d get for donations with 89.3, 103.9, and even 106.9 having such a lock on CCM, and then there are all of those southern gospel stations as well.

I don’t see iHeart giving up a C3 signal in a market where they have 4 FM’s and a useless 50kw AM and another AM with a non existent signal in many areas unless someone is really willing to pay. Most FM’s they’ve sold have been the former Aloha stations, or rimshots that don’t serve much purpose. If anything, the sports format is probably a decent combo sell with the rest of the cluster even with dismal ratings.

GSP is a large market EMF is missing from. They could have bought 103.9 if they had wanted to when it was on the market forever. I’m not sure how many ears they’d get for donations with 89.3, 103.9, and even 106.9 having such a lock on CCM, and then there are all of those southern gospel stations as well.

660 is only 5kw now and has been for 2 or 3 years

660 is only 5kw now and has been for 2 or 3 years
Duh, my bad. I do wonder if 660 or 1440 is worth more at this point considering 1440 is at least 24 hours. If iHeart is trying to shop 660 around, it’s obviously there are no buyers (for good reason)

I see this in cases when (and this is real, no kidding!) someone posts that the format on WSKQ in New York should be put on WLEY in Chicago to fix the perpetual bad ratings the Chicago Spanish language station has!
Maybe another Spanish CHR like WMEG in PR? Onda 107.9, anyone?

Attachments

• sketch-1667751201012.png
    sketch-1667751201012.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 4
Maybe another Spanish CHR like WMEG in PR? Onda 107.9, anyone?
Chicago Hispanics in the sales demos are almost totally of Mexican origin or heritage. The Mega approach from the Island would not work. The overwhelming preference in taste in the market is regional Mexican.

The issue for WLEY is not format, it is signal. WLEY is a suburban station from the far western part of the market, which is not where the majority of Hispanics are. Think Cicero, not Aurora.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom