• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Audacy App.

I use the Audacy app often, and find it gives me much more variety than iHeart's, largely because Audacy carries stations from many other broadcasting groups, large and small. This is especially helpful when I'm looking around for country stations from other parts of the country and don't want to hear the same morning show on all of them. With iHeart, you get a bunch of stations all running Bobby Bones. With Audacy, you get some running Big D and Bubba, but not all of them, and quite a few still running local morning shows. (And actually, while neither iHeart or Audacy has stations here in the sticks -- Market #217 -- one of our local country stations, owned by Maine-based Binnie Media, also carries Big D and Bubba and is on the Audacy app.)

Will all the non-Audacy stations currently in the Audacy app also be made available on TuneIn, if they're not already there?

Working hard enough can certainly change a meaning...but good luck without the investment and significant (& smart) work.
Think of how many brands have not been able to redefine their role in the market yet were leaders in a different time. Burma Shave comes to mind immediately.

The products themselves were not deficient. Their image with younger generations was.

An even better example: Ipana, washed away by the Crest tidal wave.

A radio example, and a recent and very successful one: the rebranding of the classic hits station in Philadelphia. They found out that the station name was not a positive one with younger potential listeners, so they changed the name but not the format... and sales demo ratings increased.

However, some terms have zero meaning for current generations. It's not that they are old, it is that they have zero significance. To "tune" anything but a musical instrument is just meaningess.

While the term might not mean much to younger generations, the number of downloads the TuneIn app has doesn’t seem to indicate that people aren’t finding it. I don’t know how many use it regularly nor how many subscribe to its premium tier, but the name doesn’t seem to be hurting downloads. If usage declines enough, one would think the company would research why and change or otherwise update the product's name if that was revealed to be a reason. After all, the company has had at least one previous name (Radio Time) before becoming TuneIn.

Will all the non-Audacy stations currently in the Audacy app also be made available on TuneIn, if they're not already there?

That will be up to them. They have their own agreements with the various aggregators. Audacy has never required exclusivity as a condition for being on its app and affiliated sites, though not all of those operators are on TuneIn. Seven Mountains Media, for example, doesn’t have a deal with TuneIn but is also on iHeart.

I use the Audacy app often, and find it gives me much more variety than iHeart's, largely because Audacy carries stations from many other broadcasting groups, large and small. This is especially helpful when I'm looking around for country stations from other parts of the country and don't want to hear the same morning show on all of them. With iHeart, you get a bunch of stations all running Bobby Bones. With Audacy, you get some running Big D and Bubba, but not all of them, and quite a few still running local morning shows.

Umm... iHeart's app includes Cumulus, Alpha, Salem, Beasley, Cox, NPR, Emmis, various college stations and even some independent streamers.

Umm... iHeart's app includes Cumulus, Alpha, Salem, Beasley, Cox, NPR, Emmis, various college stations and even some independent streamers.
Thanks for that info. Has that changed recently or have all those other broadcasters always been on the iHeart app? I admit I haven't listened to iHeart much over the past year or so. I'll give it another go.

Think of how many brands have not been able to redefine their role in the market yet were leaders in a different time. Burma Shave comes to mind immediately.
Is Aqua Velva still a thing or only to men who were wearing it back in the ‘70s? 🤣

RadioShack…Kmart…Sears…

Ok, they had a plethora of issues. But still…

Is Aqua Velva still a thing or only to men who were wearing it back in the ‘70s? 🤣
That is a good example, but like fashion clothes, cosmetics and perfumes would seem to have more finite life spans. Of course, you have the Little Black Dress and Chanel #5, both from the amazing Coco Chanel.
RadioShack…Kmart…Sears…
There we have issues about retail, not a product.

In the case of Radio Shack, we have the same issue as has affected personal computing magazines: far fewer people doing construction projects in electronics due to rapid obsolescence and the un-reparability of most items today. With Kmart and Sears we have bad administration coupled with more aggressive retailers like Walmart and online retail.
Ok, they had a plethora of issues. But still…
They are the encyclopedia definition of "plethora of issues".

I always thought that Sears should have self-shrunken to retail appliance sales and service given their reputation and the general distrust of service providers for home electrical devices. Likewise, they should have developed an online tool source, based on Craftsman's good, solid name and a mid-price but high quality reputation.

But... they never asked me.

My father was a textbook Craftsman ambassador, and they seemed like a reputation they squandered away. He frequently remarked about how they stood behind the products—broke a hammer, no problem. Walked in with the well used and quite old hammer, but it was a Craftsman so out he walked with a brand new one. I still have various Craftsman tools of his that still work fine, and will certainly outlive me just as they did him. I’m not so sure about the ratchet set with the name that I snagged at their liquidation sale. But it was a good markdown, so however long it lasts, so be it.

I see that brand now that is nothing more than a name they licensed away, that really has no equity. No value. Same with the Kenmore brand in my experience. Maybe not quite so easy as Craftsman, but they were solid appliances that delivered a long life. Now, the only remnant of anything Kenmore I have is a grilling tool set they stuck the name on that I piled up in that liquidation.

There’s a five and dime I like to visit from time to time that stocks the old health and beauty lines made by whichever company bought up the trademarks. Names that were once nearly household terms…V05, Prell, et al. It’s good for a laugh to see those and remember when they meant something.

Then there’s the interesting case of Champion brand, that has managed to be resurrected. I remember well when it was regarded as declining to become the cheap, garbage brand no self respecting young person would be caught dead in, and somehow it managed to turn all the way around to become popular again.

Audacy has agreed to make all their stations and podcasts available on TuneIn.
Also, “select” TuneIn content will be accessible on Audacy’s app.
What took them so long? IHeart stations have been on TuneIn for over a year.

Finally

This is great for radio listeners. Most of the radio stations can now be accessed on one platform. A big improvement over when it was necessary to go to different apps to hear IHeart and Audacy stations.
I believe Townsquare is now the largest owner that still makes its stations available only through its own websites and apps.

I like ooTunes which has every terrestrial station with no ads of its own. The way it should be for an aggregator. No content of its own, and not out for a profit. Similar to a physical radio.

And some Brylcreem.
And don't forget Burma-Shave!

The 70's?? Try the 50's-60's.
I remember seeing many Aqua Velva commercials on the TV during the 90s and 2000s, plus it apparently still exists, so it's apparently not as dated as one might think!

Incidentally, it was apparently first created and sold in 1917, so it predates the 50s by quite a margin (more than 30 years), so even by the 70s – by which point it was available for about 53 years – it might've been considered "dated" by somebody.

c

Audacy should actually create podcasts of their shows, rather than the limited time replays that can only be streamed.
Try going through Omny.fm which has been the CBS Radio/Entercom/Audacy primary method of podcasting - it's still used to embed audio clips/podcasts on their websites. Not convenient since it's away from the Audacy site and app and takes more work on our own, but it's what's available. Also gives options to follow the podcasts through Apple, Google, Stitcher and RSS feed where they could be downloaded.

For example: search for "Omny.fm Dierks Bentley Superstar Power Hour - Katie & Company" or similar - it should return this:

or for example: "Omny.fm Boomer and Gio WFAN" -

Boomer + Gio plus related clips and podcasts:

and Boomer + Gio only:

Try going through Omny.fm which has been the CBS Radio/Entercom/Audacy primary method of podcasting - it's still used to embed audio clips/podcasts on their websites. Not convenient since it's away from the Audacy site and app and takes more work on our own, but it's what's available. Also gives options to follow the podcasts through Apple, Google, Stitcher and RSS feed where they could be downloaded.

For example: search for "Omny.fm Dierks Bentley Superstar Power Hour - Katie & Company" or similar - it should return this:

or for example: "Omny.fm Boomer and Gio WFAN" -

Boomer + Gio plus related clips and podcasts:

and Boomer + Gio only:
Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom