• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Atlanta Radio Ratings: December 2023

That notwithstanding, am I the only one who is slightly skeptical that WSB is #4 in 18-34? Terrestrial radio listening in that demo is down, and I wonder if a small and therefore unstable sample is being weighted up. Who knows?
Eh, I don't find it that surprising. You figure #4 rank in a demo cell is going to be a mid-single digits share. Is it plausible that 4%-6% of Atlanta 18-34s listen to WSBB with some regularity? Yeah, that seems plausible.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director, Inc.:

25-54: 1. WSRV 2. WFSH (up from #9) 3. WNNX 4. WVEE 5T. WAMJ 5T. WSB-AM 5T. WWWQ (up from #8)
18-34: 1. WFSH (up from #5) 2. WSRV 3. WVEE 4. WSB-AM 5. WWWQ
18-49: 1. WFSH (up from #6) 2. WSRV 3. WNNX 4. WVEE 5. WAMJ 7. WWWQ
When you think about it the highest ranked Atlanta CHR in the 18-34 demo is the Q @ #5, Really makes you wonder about the state of CHR. Also, 99X didn't show up in the top 5 (18-34) either. Is there a disconnect musically say from 1985 (start of Grunge) with this group? WNNX with it's late 80's and 90's emphasis which would be what folks graduating High School late 1980's would have heard didn't make the top 5 until the over 34 folks are added in. Is the "classic" rock that much better than what the record companies have been releasing since 1985? I know there was some talk on the NYC board about CBS FM's success in some of the sub 34 demos.

99X is a nostalgia play with listeners 35 to 54. The brand means little to listeners 34 and younger. I am not surprised at all that the station isn't top 5 in 18 to 34. It is performing very well where it matters - P25 to 54 performance is outstanding.

Last edited:
WSB has been fortunate to find effective replacements for the talk hosts they've lost. When Boortz retired, they installed Herman Cain but eventually moved Eric Von Haessler, who is perfect for the slot, into it. On a smaller scale, when Walter Reeves retired from the Saturday morning Lawn & Garden Show, they gave the slot to traffic reporter Ashley Frasca. I don't know how they knew she would be a great fit, but she certainly is and does an amazing job. Erick Erickson is not Rush Limbaugh, but he handles his show really well and gives CMG content for their other News and Talk stations.
Ashley filled in and co-hosted with Walter often, so they knew they were getting a winner there...

1) I don't think I can remember another time when V-103 was as low as #6. That has to be an all time bottom for them.

2) The popularity of WSRV (which has a wide playlist)...... I just wonder why we've never had a Bob or Jack radio station here. WSRV results might suggest that a (we play anything) format would be popular here too.

I don't know about ranking, but V-103 had a 3.8 share in a monthly 2 or 3 years ago.

Adult R&B (Urban AC) has eclipsed R&B/Hip Hop in ratings these days, a reversal from years ago. Moreover, several stations have come directly at V-103: 94.5, 107.9, 105.3. It's not surprising that V's dominance has faded. But V-103 is still one of the top stations in the important demos.

1- WSRV has a wide playlist? It's a very hit based classic rock station. No surprises or deep digs. Lots of Classic Rock artist, especially prog rock artists, are ignored. I'm 41, grew up on classic rock and my parents love the station. Stream from South Georgia on a regular basis. All they listen to. No doubt what the station is doing is working but for me, it's boring. Wished WSRV would add in a few specialty shows that allows them to play deeper stuff.

2- WNNX performance is actually surprising me. WNNX is full of specialty shows and digs deep. Lots of surprising cuts. I've always argued this doesn't work on commercial radio but WNNX is telling me to hold their beer.

1) I don't think I can remember another time when V-103 was as low as #6. That has to be an all time bottom for them.

2) The popularity of WSRV (which has a wide playlist)...... I just wonder why we've never had a Bob or Jack radio station here. WSRV results might suggest that a (we play anything) format would be popular here too.
Gregg, 103.7 out of Mayesville/Gainesville is owned by Cox and calls itself "Chuck-FM". The station is only around 4k watts but does a decent job north and northeast of the perimeter all the way into the mountains and to South Carolina up I-85. When the format changed to "We Play Anything", I remember a liner they would play touting that the format was created by a student in his dorm at UGA.

Back
Top Bottom