• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Atlanta Radio Ratings: August 2023

Covering the survey period from Thu. 7/20/2023 thru Wed. 8/16/2023, age 6+ overall:

or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis by Research Director Inc. will be posted on their own "Hot Topics" blog page on Wed. 9/6/2023.

Press release:

Blog page: Hot Topics | Research Director, Inc.

Power jumped up big and Q dropped some to be side by side with each other. Interesting. The CHR chart right now has had the least movement I think I have ever seen. Hardly any new music. I’ve noticed the same songs playing over and over for the past several months. Hopefully new material will transpire soon or CHR is headed for the early 90s again. 99X holding steady. As mentioned earlier on another post - the imaging is amazing on 99X. I truly hope it survives. Playlist is dead on IMHO.

When is Cumulus going to put something new on 98.9?

W255CJ cannot be meaningfully moved closer to midtown due to co-channel WWGA in west Georgia, as well as 2nd adjacent limits from B98.5 and two LPFMs on 99.1 In fact, the translator already downgraded once, from 250W to 144W to reduce interference with the LPFMs.

W255CJ cannot be meaningfully moved closer to midtown due to co-channel WWGA in west Georgia, as well as 2nd adjacent limits from B98.5 and two LPFMs on 99.1 In fact, the translator already downgraded once, from 250W to 144W to reduce interference with the LPFMs.
Didn't the translator go through a series of FCC issues with interference with WWGA? I seem to remember it going off the air and then there were drive tests being done. There was a long saga. I think the translator had to reduce power and possibly go directional.

The CHR chart right now has had the least movement I think I have ever seen. Hardly any new music. I’ve noticed the same songs playing over and over for the past several months.
Both of these stations are underperforming (WWWQ and WWPW). Is this a trend that is being seen in other markets? CHR losing steam?

When you think about it though... the majority of CHR listeners are tech-savvy. Is streaming killing CHR?

For instance, the best performing CHRs in each market:
NYC - #5 (Z100)
LA - #9 (KIIS)
CHI - #11 (103.5 KISS FM)
SF - #7 (997 NOW)
DFW - #5 (1061 KISS FM)

Last edited:

I am proposing the opposite - that it be moved a good 25 to 40 miles to the NE of Atlanta.

LPFMs have no protection.

Didn't the translator go through a series of FCC issues with interference with WWGA? I seem to remember it going off the air and then there were drive tests being done. There was a long saga. I think the translator had to reduce power and possibly go directional.
I thought it was an issue with 99.1 in Macon. Of course, that might have been when that translator was on 99.1.

In any case, it is directional to the east. W255CJ-FM Radio Station Coverage Map

I am proposing the opposite - that it be moved a good 25 to 40 miles to the NE of Atlanta.

I suppose you could put it on River's Chateau Elan tower...translators have no height limit. That's why so many of them are on the TV candelabras.

Not sure what other stations are up that way that it could interfere with, though.

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. via their "Hot Topics" blog:
(scroll down to see Atlanta)

25-54: 1. WSRV 2. WAMJ 3. WVEE 4T. WSB-FM 4T. WALR
18-34: 1. WSRV 2. WALR 3. WUBL (up from #8) 4. WSB-FM 5. WWPW 6T. WAMJ 6T. WVEE 6T. WRDG 6T. WZGC
_______ 10T. WWWQ (down from #5) 10T. WSB-AM 10T. WSTR
18-49: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WSB-FM 4. WALR 5. WAMJ 10. WWWQ (down from #4)

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis from Research Director Inc. via their "Hot Topics" blog:
(scroll down to see Atlanta)

25-54: 1. WSRV 2. WAMJ 3. WVEE 4T. WSB-FM 4T. WALR
18-34: 1. WSRV 2. WALR 3. WUBL (up from #8) 4. WSB-FM 5. WWPW 6T. WAMJ 6T. WVEE 6T. WRDG 6T. WZGC
_______ 10T. WWWQ (down from #5) 10T. WSB-AM 10T. WSTR
18-49: 1. WSRV 2. WVEE 3. WSB-FM 4. WALR 5. WAMJ 10. WWWQ (down from #4)
WSB-AM & 95.5 showed up as #10 in the 18-34? That has to be a fluke.

LPFMs have no protection from full-power services. However, a translator cannot displace an LPFM, or vice versa. It is simply first-come-first-serve.

Ah. That might be possible. I don't know of an obvious blocking station, that direction, but I didn't look very hard.

If the LPFM was on-air first, they have protection from the newer translator. The rules were re-written a couple of years ago to make interference complaints against the translator even easier. Just a few listener statements within the protected contour and the translator has to resolve.

WSB-AM & 95.5 showed up as #10 in the 18-34? That has to be a fluke.
If you drive in Atlanta's rush hour traffic, sooner or later you will encounter a back up or traffic stopped that is not on your app. WSB's frequent traffic reports can really save you some time. They do not cover all the sections of the city every report. You might have to listen to 2 or 3 reports before you can reprogram your driving app ( or mentally replan your route) to avoid the wreck(s). I guess the PPM device picks up the WSB enough to a give them credit for that quarter hour or more.

I believe they are the only major signal in the market that does News through out the day. It is hard to legally read news from you phone while driving in Georgia

LPFMs have no protection from full-power services. However, a translator cannot displace an LPFM, or vice versa. It is simply first-come-first-serve.

Ah. That might be possible. I don't know of an obvious blocking station, that direction, but I didn't look very hard.
WYRD 98.9 the Word in Greenville frequently interferes with W255CJ in the mornings similar to how WSSL interferes with WNNX in the mornings in the NE part of town. Both Class C’s. I see the HD info for WYRD show up on my car radio. WSSL’s logo shows up during heavy tropo as well. The song and title for 99X displays while the logo and station description for Whistle 100 is on the other side of the screen.

WYRD 98.9 the Word in Greenville frequently interferes with W255CJ in the mornings similar to how WSSL interferes with WNNX in the mornings in the NE part of town. Both Class C’s. I see the HD info for WYRD show up on my car radio. WSSL’s logo shows up during heavy tropo as well. The song and title for 99X displays while the logo and station description for Whistle 100 is on the other side of the screen.
Sometimes when I tune to 93.7 in my car, The Fan comes in loud and clear, but the logo for Greenville's B93.7 displays.

Back
Top Bottom