• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"At Ford, Windows is Job One"

700WLW

"At Ford, Windows is Job One"

"What is YOUR group doing to be in front of this trend? What is YOUR group doing to be in every car in every way in 2007 and beyond? What content do you have that every Ford will want to stream? And where does this leave satellite radio and especially HD radio ?"

http://www.hear2.com/2006/12/at_ford_windows.html#comments

No wonder, Ford and GM have been holding off on HD Radio ! :D

"Microsoft to Synchronize with Ford"

"The Windows based, in-car technology will initially be available for only two Ford models in 2007, but it will expand to cover all the automaker's lineups in 2008. With the Microsoft Sync integrated into Ford models, auto owners will have access to email, connect to Virtual Earth, download and upload media content, or transfer information via the wireless capabilities. In 2007, Sync is expected to be integrated into Ford Focus and the Five Hundred Sedan series. This will only be available in the United States. Similar technology has already been introduced in Europe, through a partnership between Microsoft and Fiat."

http://bink.nu/Article9175.bink

"The First Internet Service Provider Specifically Designed for Cars"

"Without question there will be significant demand for the services that always-on connectivity can provide. And that includes streaming audio, a.k.a. "radio." It is absolutely, positively inevitable that virtually every new vehicle will, within the next five years or so, be a potential roving hotspot." :D

http://www.hear2.com/2007/01/the_first_inter.html#comments

Move over in-dash HD Radio - more mobile Internet, coming to a vehicle near you ! :D

Try this: http://www.goautonet.com/wp/
It is a web site for AudioNet, a company that claims: "TURN YOUR CAR INTO A WI-FI HOTSPOT.
The first Internet service provider specifically designed for cars. Fasten your seatbelt. Because the driving experience will never be the same again. With Autonet Mobile, the first ever, always-on mobile broadband network, you and your passengers can now enjoy internet services and Wi-Fi connectivity whenever you want to by turning your car into a Wi-Fi hotspot on wheels. IM, chat, stream media, email, game on-line, listen to music and more...."

Chuck said:
Try this: http://www.goautonet.com/wp/
It is a web site for AudioNet, a company that claims: "TURN YOUR CAR INTO A WI-FI HOTSPOT.
The first Internet service provider specifically designed for cars. Fasten your seatbelt. Because the driving experience will never be the same again. With Autonet Mobile, the first ever, always-on mobile broadband network, you and your passengers can now enjoy internet services and Wi-Fi connectivity whenever you want to by turning your car into a Wi-Fi hotspot on wheels. IM, chat, stream media, email, game on-line, listen to music and more...."

Pretty cool stuff, if worked as advertised - I would assume, WiMax would eventually allow for connects, just about anywhere:

"We’re unveiling Autonet mobile in Las Vegas on January 8 at CES International 2007, where you can test drive it for yourself. To get more information or to find out how you can be among the first to get yourself, your family, or your driving fleet connected, please enter your email address."

http://www.goautonet.com/wp/

I wonder, if there will be anyone at iBiquity's booth ? :D

In a way, the technology is already here for streaming radio in our cars.

Back when I lived in Birmingham (AL) I had T-Mobile's unlimited internet through my EDGE-capable phone. With "only" 128 kbps downstream (equivalent to ISDN, I believe) I was streaming Windows Media and Shoutcast stations to my Pocket PC, which in turn was fed into the stereo through the tape-deck adapter.

The sound quality was about as good as satellite radio. Which, isn't that great, but is good for something (good radio) that just isn't available around these parts.

Surprisingly, there wasn't much in the way of buffering, buffering, buffering even on that connection. It was actually getting connected to a congested server that was the issue. If there were some better programmed streams out there, I may have kept that and never got XM. Most radio stations that I would have listened to use proprietary idiotic streaming software which doesn't work on a Pocket PC.

It did work. But it was a pain selecting stuff on a tiny PDA screen which trying to drive, lol!

Now that I live in the sticks (MS) the only high speed options on cell phones is Cingular / Unicel... Cingular wants $80/month for unlimited... Hmm. $80/mo or $10/mo for awesome radio? Ha, no brainer. :)

Zach said:
In a way, the technology is already here for streaming radio in our cars.

Back when I lived in Birmingham (AL) I had T-Mobile's unlimited internet through my EDGE-capable phone. With "only" 128 kbps downstream (equivalent to ISDN, I believe) I was streaming Windows Media and Shoutcast stations to my Pocket PC, which in turn was fed into the stereo through the tape-deck adapter.

The sound quality was about as good as satellite radio. Which, isn't that great, but is good for something (good radio) that just isn't available around these parts.

Surprisingly, there wasn't much in the way of buffering, buffering, buffering even on that connection. It was actually getting connected to a congested server that was the issue. If there were some better programmed streams out there, I may have kept that and never got XM. Most radio stations that I would have listened to use proprietary idiotic streaming software which doesn't work on a Pocket PC.

It did work. But it was a pain selecting stuff on a tiny PDA screen which trying to drive, lol!

Now that I live in the sticks (MS) the only high speed options on cell phones is Cingular / Unicel... Cingular wants $80/month for unlimited... Hmm. $80/mo or $10/mo for awesome radio? Ha, no brainer. :)

Hmmmm.... On my kids' new BlackJack Cingular cell phones, unlimited Internet access is just $20/each/month... A no-brainer ?

Heh. Yah, if you have a phone like that, it's $20/mo. I think Blackberry unlimited plans are $40/mo. But to tether your phone via a special card or via a cellphone as I did, they want $80/mo.

Of course, as with T-Mobile, tethering supposedly works on the lower rate plans. I'm tethered right now on the "Unlimited T-Zones" phone-only plan ($6/mo.) since the DSL is out (AGAIN) here. But why should I switch to take advantage of their loopholes? T-Mobile could fix this little loophole anytime and I'm back to dialup, lol.

With the exception of T-Mobile, the other carriers really wanna stick it to you with unlimited internet. I supposed in a hundred years when WiMax is everywhere the prices will be reasonable. Or will they? Most new technologies charge out the wahzoo for service, I'm sure "ubiquitos" wireless internet will be no different.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom