• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Arthur Godfrey

Bob and Ray used to do a Godfrey spoof character; I think they called him Arthur Sturdley, and played him as the egomaniacal oaf he apparently was off-the-air. Stan Freberg made a record parodying Godfrey, called "That's Right, Arthur," but Capitol refused to release it for fear of Godfrey's lawyers. (I don't know offhand if it's since been released in any of the Freberg retrospective CD sets.)

The B side of Eddie Lawrence's "The Old Philosopher" had "King Arthur's Mines," where the gag at the end had King Arthur turn out to be Arthur Godfrey.

Godfrey never fully recovered from firing Julius Larosa on TV.

The on-the-air firing of Julius LaRosa, which was in October, 1953, actually took place when the show had finished the TV portion for that day and was only being heard on radio. It was just one of many dismissals that Godfrey did to talent from his shows although it is probably the most remembered. That and the other dismissals appear to have led to a loss of popularity for Godfrey although he continued on in both mediums for many years afterward. I understand that many years later an attempt was made to re-unite Godfrey and LaRosa, but it reportedly turned into a name-calling incident.

Last edited:
I remember a story going around just after Godfrey's passing regarding a still later encounter between Godfrey and La Rosa meeting by chance crossing a Manhattan street coming from opposite directions. The encounter went something like this.....

La Rosa: "We better keep moving along or someone in the press will report some sort of incident"
Godfrey: "To heck with 'em"

Only Godfrey's actual response....said in a lighthearted way....was a single four-letter word. MUCH stronger than "to heck with".

When I worked at WGAU in Athens in 1967 Godfrey was fed at 10:05:10 to 10:58:30. We had a 60-minute cartridge as "stand-by" in case of line failure. Strict instructions were to never join it latte, come out early, or miss the half hour ID (which was a 14-second window). Program was roughly 15-minute segments, each paid for by a major sponsor, with other little "throw-away" ads as he could squeeze them in.

Really have no clue as to when he started taping but certainly was by the end of the run when he did a 2 day interview with Nixon's new EPA chief (who AG thought was absolutely the greatest thing since sliced bread -- "we're going to clean up the environment and save the world from itself.")

Was Tony "That's right, Arthur" working at both CBS and Mutual during the AG show run? He was also the announced on a Mutual Sherlock Holmes show and I think did newscasts.

According to his obit in the NY TIMES (10/16/98) he stayed with Godfrey until 1959 when he moved to Mutual. Started with Godfrey in 1945 at the age of 33.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom