• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Breakaway Question

Okay, I am going to take the plunge here. I have a nice machine that I built, with an SSD. Very minimal XP install, fully updated. I am going to buy the recommended Marian Trace Alpha. Can I use the AES In on it? I am coming out of a digital board at 44.1. I know it sounds silly, but it seems like everyone is using analog input.

My assumption is that I can use the digital input and then come out analog into the STL.

I've never run across this question...I've always used analog ins and outs. Whether in can do AES IN and ANALOG OUT is a question for Leif...who often drops by this site. Another part of the equation is whether you use the standard version or the ASIO version. I've used both and I think that the ASIO version sounds better when some delay is tolerated. My delay is about 1/3 - 1/2 second in the "Phase Linear" mode.

I have not tried it but would assume no issues, most sound cards the aes input is just another input. Set the proper input and output in breakaway setup and it should work.

But will BBP do an aes to analog mpx conversion.Not sure that it will.it would have to do digital mpx for that to work. I would also have BBP at the xmtr.imho

Breakaway does not use composite clipping, so in theory, going digital out (L/R) to a digital stereo coder could be as good as the internal stereo coder in Breakaway.

You could also go digital in -> analog composite out, but that depends on your sound card, because for composite out, the sound card must be running at 192 kHz. The tricky part then is for the sound card to accept your digital input which is likely 44.1 or 48 kHz. A card with sample rate conversion on the digital input (such as Marian Trace Pro) would definitely do it, but a cheaper card such as Trace Alpha probably will not -- it does not include sample rate conversion, so you'd then have to feed the digital input at 192 kHz!

Best regards,
//Leif

Another possibility Chris for those with an Axia Livewire network, you can load the Axia AoIP driver on the Breakaway PC and use that as the Breakaway input - so if your studio is AES node connected to the Axia network it stays linear digital right through, and there is no issue having your sound card running at 192 kHz just for the analog MPX output. We do that for both Breakaway and Stereo Tool - works great. There is notable latency in the Axia AoIP pc driver though, if that's a consideration. Cheers AJ

A card with sample rate conversion on the digital input (such as Marian Trace Pro) would definitely do it, but a cheaper card such as Trace Alpha probably will not -- it does not include sample rate conversion, so you'd then have to feed the digital input at 192 kHz!

Leif is correct on this. I am going into the 'processor' with AES and am feeding composite out to the transmitter, but I have to use two cards to do it. The system seems to like the configuration fine... no problems.

In this application, I'm going in with an ESI Juli@ (because I had on onhand), and coming out with a Marian Trace Alpha.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom