• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Annoying WBUR On Point guy

Annoying WBUR On Point guy http://www.wbur.org/onpoint has a broadcasting style of faux appreciative remarks and voice inflections repeated too often instead of substantive conversations. An example of a professional broadcaster respected collegially but fails to research topics enough going to a set of usual expressions that become meaningless.

I also find him annoying. Particularly his habit of paraphrasing a callers question to a guest right after it is asked. He often say to the guest immediately after the question, what about that then put the question into his own words.

And although he has some interesting guests, I am close to the point that I can no longer listen to Morgan White. Anytime it appears that a caller is hitting it off with a guest he jumps in and cuts the caller off. And it always has to be about him. I was listening to him interview Mel Simmons about his new book. Anytime Simmons mentioned a celebrity, White had to jump and say I have interviewed him twice or she has been on my show. He never offered any insight just that Simmons hadn't done anything that he had already accomplished.

I also find him annoying. Particularly his habit of paraphrasing a callers question to a guest right after it is asked. He often say to the guest immediately after the question, what about that then put the question into his own words.

I remember Larry King used to do this on his old overnight show on Mutual. Instead of letting the listener/caller ask the question he would paraphrase it...and sometimes change it, either knowingly or unknowingly....

On Point et al

Tom Ashbrook is the only reason to listen to WBUR. Ashbrook gets more out of an hour topic than anyone else currently on radio. He keeps the program moving by summarizing a caller's thoughts. He does that because many of his guest are on the phone and not in studio. So,it also keeps his guests on topic. As to Morgan White Jr. it is so true. I have heard he will not be replacing the difficult to replace Jordan Rich.White has never been able to broaden his background beyond trivia. Nonetheless, Morgan White, Jr. is not a bad guy. Would like to see and hear the very funny and knowledgeable Bob Katzen replace Jordan Rich.

And although he has some interesting guests, I am close to the point that I can no longer listen to Morgan White. Anytime it appears that a caller is hitting it off with a guest he jumps in and cuts the caller off. And it always has to be about him. I was listening to him interview Mel Simmons about his new book. Anytime Simmons mentioned a celebrity, White had to jump and say I have interviewed him twice or she has been on my show. He never offered any insight just that Simmons hadn't done anything that he had already accomplished.

Tom Ashbrook is very intelligent and I understand his popularity. My problem is when a caller asks a good brief question and he has to chime in rather than letting the guest answer and then ask as follow up.

Morgan is a very nice guy and very proud of his son who is TV Reporter at the CBS station in Hartford. I enjoyed his 1510 show years ago and would go to his triva shows now and then. He has paid his dues and I hope he continues regular fill ins and the Saturday 10p-12a shift.

I also enjoy Katzen but I am not sure about him going solo for a full show. Back when 1510 was being run by a court appointed receiver Ancel Chaney Katzen was part of the Dana Hersey, Hillary Stevens morning show. I thought it was very entertaining. Bill Rossi Stevens husband finally convinced his wife to give it up since they were getting paid next to nothing if anything. Hersey was interested in buying the station. Hersey comes from a very wealthy family.

Worked with Hersey. For the record he made money the old fashioned way...he married it. Beyond that he was generally disliked at 1510 for his abrasive and sarcastic manner. Hershey's talent was limited to his voice not his intelligence but that did not limit his ego. What Dick Cavett once said to Norman Mailer when Mailer was a guest on Cavett's show applies in spades to Hersey : " Would you like another chair . . . for your ego. "
Not mentioned about 1510 but the real class act minus ego was Tony Pepper. Tony fought to keep the station afloat when others like Hersey were no where to be found. Pepper did this not only emotionally to keep the staff centered but financially. Tony Pepper a class act vs. Dana Hersey, just an act.

I don't mind that he restates callers' questions. It seems to me he does it mostly when the caller is getting off topic trying to make a political point or is just rambling. He gives a concise version of the question that is relevant to the discussion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom