• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Analog TV in emergencies

I really have to wonder.....
If every DTV station upped their power by 400%, would most people drop their antenna's capability by the same amount?
Most folks assume that, if they are getting a picture right now, then everything is hunky-dory.

It's all about "margin". What works in clear weather and ideal conditions may not work tonight, tomorrow, when it rains, or in a different season. You need 15 dB or so above noise to decode the data. You need additional "margin" to compensate for daily and seasonal variations, and weather conditions. These are all normal variations in tropospheric communications.

Wait a minute, am I missing something here? Does 10 kW digital take up more power to run than 100kW analog did? As far as I can tell, most stations are running a heck of alot less power than they did in analog and most have been running both for years before the end came, how is a doubling of an output of a digital signal going to cost more than the previous situations each station had to pay? If for example WTIC-TV Hartford who used to have over 5 million watts analog on ch 61 going to spend more money than they did with that if they were to double the current 470kW at ch 31 digital? (BTW; they do have a CP MOD for 495 kW).

I used to get pretty much all of southern New England full-power analog before the transition (though much of Boston/Providence after 4pm) and now I can't even get New Haven which is 20 minutes drive from here in Middletown.

I say let the doubling begin!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom