• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

An....errr....interesting mix on Q105.

Four songs as played, in order on Q105 today:

Rock With You-Michael Jackson
Sister Golden Hair-America
Wild Thing-Tone Loc
Wouldn't It Be Nice?-Beach Boys

They did frame the Tone Loc song with DJ banter (before) and a Q105 i.d. (after), but it still seemed a bit out of place. I didn't mind a little "spice", but I'm sure it sent more than one dial spinning among the older set.

Same happened to me. But Instead it was WMFQ 92.9 Big Oldies in Ocala playing MC Hammers "Can't Touch This" after "Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles.

I'm thinking whoever holds the rights to reruns of AT-40 jacked up the price. I know its been off weekends for awhile, but I tuned into the 1981 weekly countdown today, and, literally it was just some local announcer reading the intros of the songs. I mean it was a visit to generic city.

No, I don't want the puking like the monday through friday guys have, but c'mon...

Is "Flashback" still on around here?

I give CBS the credit for keeping heritage DJ's around. Dick Purtan until his retirement in Detroit, Machine Gun in LA, Pat.St.John and others on WCBS. I know CBS can weild the ax as totally as other groups, but they should get credit for this from history buffs

I, for one, applaud Q105 for that kind of mix. That kind of diversity and spontaneity is exactly what music radio is missing nowadays. There's no reason not to have a diverse mix of music. The audience grew up with it all - if someone doesn't like a particular song, well, they probably didn't like it the first time around, either. Trying to program to a narrow demographic base is what's made music radio so boring today. In my opinion, Q105 should do more of this.

MsMusicRadio said:
I give CBS the credit for keeping heritage DJ's around. Dick Purtan until his retirement in Detroit, Machine Gun in LA, Pat.St.John and others on WCBS. I know CBS can weild the ax as totally as other groups, but they should get credit for this from history buffs

You figure a lot of these older jockeys CBS is keeping around keep their radio stations alive. Radio would be extremely dull without live DJ's. In particular DJ's that are experienced and know how to keep things entertaining. All radio is without DJ's is an MP3 Player on shuffle. These newer personalities are just not as entertaining as more experienced ones. CBS knows this, other companies do not.

WCBS and Q105 wouldn't be as great as they are without good DJ's.

Speaking of WCBS-FM in New York: Just this morning, they played A-Ha's "Take On Me" into Martha and the Vandellas' "Jimmy Mack." And a "hard seg," no less.

Hardly unusual for the great oldies station...back in the 80s I heard "The Morning Mayor" Harry Harrison play a current hit, which would be a "future classic", managing to squeeze funk-rockers like Prince inbetween 50s and 60s hits.

gamefreak said:
Same happened to me. But Instead it was WMFQ 92.9 Big Oldies in Ocala playing MC Hammers "Can't Touch This" after "Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles.

In 1990 I heard a small market station cold segue "U Can't Touch This" (which was a current at the time) into Hamilton Joe Frank and Reynolds "Don't Pull Your Love". My impression is they didn't even put any thought into what a crazy segue that was.

Ummmh.....Guys and gals....Tone Loc and Hammer were hits when current 35 to 45 year olds were in the prime top-40 demo... Admit it gang... WE ARE GETTING OLDER! Loc is a good actor and I am enjoying watching him and Coco's cable show....Traget there: 35 and up.... Time flies and rockets forward!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom