• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

An EAS oh-oh

At about 7:24 pm, 04/12/24, I heard the EAS go off on WCCR AM-1260. It shared, in terrible quality sound, that there is a high wind warning until midnight. Right as it started, I flashed around to 3 or 4 other stations and did not hear the EAS warning at all.

Right as it started, I flashed around to 3 or 4 other stations and did not hear the EAS warning at all.
This is because WCCR-AM has it set to relay High Wind Warnings from NWS, whereas other stations may not have it set up that way. When it comes to EAS, the only obligations stations must comply with are: relaying presidential alerts, relaying monthly tests within an hour, sending one weekly test per week, and logging anything received/sent. Stations are not required at all to relay weather warnings - not even for tornadoes, but they are required to monitor the local primaries for the area and the local NOAA Weather Radio station, and log anything received.

At about 7:24 pm, 04/12/24, I heard the EAS go off on WCCR AM-1260. It shared, in terrible quality sound, that there is a high wind warning until midnight. Right as it started, I flashed around to 3 or 4 other stations and did not hear the EAS warning at all.
That's around the time my electricity went out last night. Yup 🤣

Another EAS question: must a station still be required to monitor an LP 1 or LP 2 station if either of those stations cannot be received? I am in a rural area and the LP 1 FM station is too far away to be picked up, even with an outdoor antenna. The LP 2 and CAP can be monitored.

Another EAS question: must a station still be required to monitor an LP 1 or LP 2 station if either of those stations cannot be received? I am in a rural area and the LP 1 FM station is too far away to be picked up, even with an outdoor antenna. The LP 2 and CAP can be monitored.
This is where you contact the manager of your state EAS plan, explain the situation and have them modify your monitoring assignments.

I know it's in poor taste to nitpick an emergency service, but it's 2024. Can't they upgrade their equipment at all? I heard the tornado warning come across on 102.1 yesterday as the storms fired up, but I could barely make out anything about it besides "Bellevue."

Are they sending these warning messages out from inside their doomsday bunkers?

I know it's in poor taste to nitpick an emergency service, but it's 2024. Can't they upgrade their equipment at all? I heard the tornado warning come across on 102.1 yesterday as the storms fired up, but I could barely make out anything about it besides "Bellevue."

Are they sending these warning messages out from inside their doomsday bunkers?
The only thing they did in recent years was making the announcement a bit clearer to hear, going from phone quality to "HD".

Remember it is not always the station rebroadcasting that is responsible for the quality of the EAS message. I was in Houston, Texas and from time to time I'd get an activation that was of such horrible quality I wrote it out and went on air with it. More often than not it was terribly overmodulated

the one upside to EAS monitored over satellite.. it usually sounds fine.

The bad side..... my primary is 250 miles away.. useless here

Back
Top Bottom