• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Amp Radio In San Diego?

CBS Radio had their chance to jump on the Top 40 bandwagon in San Diego and now it's too late. We don't need a 4th Top 40 station.

4th? By my math, San Diego has two: 933 and Q96. What's the third one? Star is Hot AC, and Z90 (unless there was some change I'm not aware of) is Hip-Hop.

That said; yeah, with Q96 in the 619, Amp radio wouldn't make a lot of sense (unless CBS somehow though that starting Amp radio would take attention away from Q96).

A little off topic but,
I still think that Q96 is going to get a good boost. People stil remember Q106 when it was CHR, and are giong to think its the same thing. In fact, if Cherry Creek wanted to rally stir things up, I could seem them buying 106.5 (if it really is for sale). That would put Q106 back in business!!!!!!

Would also be too good to be true.

your dreaming....the target audience could care less about Q106...they care about compelling entertaining content, personalities, promotion, all delivered taking advantage of the features that today's technology can provide to connect the audience with the station, and each other, and to the advertisers that pay the bills. For the terrestrial signal...people have to be able to hear it across a good proportion of the marketplace.
Also....106.5 is probably not for sale since Univision makes a lot of money with it....

mj said:
your dreaming....the target audience could care less about Q106...they care about compelling entertaining content, personalities, promotion, all delivered taking advantage of the features that today's technology can provide to connect the audience with the station, and each other, and to the advertisers that pay the bills. For the terrestrial signal...people have to be able to hear it across a good proportion of the marketplace.
Also....106.5 is probably not for sale since Univision makes a lot of money with it....

Respectfully, I disagree.

Maybe a year or 2 ago Z 90 was Hip Hop... But now Z 90 has almost an identical playlist to Channel 933.

It's Top 40. San Diego doesn't have a Hip Hop station now that Blazin 989 is gone.

Radio3787 said:
Maybe a year or 2 ago Z 90 was Hip Hop... But now Z 90 has almost an identical playlist to Channel 933.

It's Top 40. San Diego doesn't have a Hip Hop station now that Blazin 989 is gone.

Unless you live in a market that can support a true Urban station, and that isn't the case with most markets out west, your rhythmic station and top 40 station probably sound identical. It has more to do with lack of fresh product in the hip-hop genre.

People in LA are also complaining about Power 106 sounding identical to KIIS and AmpRadio. Its a sign of the times, though, and somewhat a result of PPM and chasing after the same demographic now that stations are monitored and the diaries are out of play. Stations going after the same demo have to basically be on top of each other's playlists so listeners can seemlessly jump from one station to another, hearing the same song after song, and they all get a piece of the pie.

Regardless, I never thought I'd see the day when all I heard Big Boy on Power 106 talking about was Justin Bieber.

That's very true. Last time I was in LA I was surprised at how Power 106 sounded. I'm curious as to how KMEL in San Francisco is doing. They've always been more R&B leaning and heavy on the old school music so perhaps they're sticking to that.

Radio3787 said:
That's very true. Last time I was in LA I was surprised at how Power 106 sounded. I'm curious as to how KMEL in San Francisco is doing. They've always been more R&B leaning and heavy on the old school music so perhaps they're sticking to that.

After seeing their demo ratings dive nearly 50% from early in 2009 to the end of the year, KMEL changed Program Directors. They had their first up month in February. They were significantly down from diary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom