• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

American Top 40 Sunday Morning

I remember getting up Sunday Morning to Listen to American Top 40 on X100 now Movin 997

That was good radio back then

Casey Kasem is the best in the 80's

How about Rick Dees Weekly Top 40

MarioMania said:
I remember getting up Sunday Morning to Listen to American Top 40 on X100 now Movin 997

That was good radio back then

Casey Kasem is the best in the 80's

How about Rick Dees Weekly Top 40

You're young. I remember hearing Casey Kasem on AT40 on Sunday mornings in 1971 on KRLA 1110 AM - a Top 40 station in LA. For that matter, I remember Casey Kasem doing basically the same thing - a count down show - on KRLA Sunday afternoons as early as 1968. Casey was the weekend and fill-in jock on that station, and it was only LA's #2 rock station in those days. Who knew Casey would hit the big time?

Lkeller said:
I remember hearing Casey Kasem on AT40 on Sunday mornings in 1971 on KRLA 1110 AM - a Top 40 station in LA. For that matter, I remember Casey Kasem doing basically the same thing - a count down show - on KRLA Sunday afternoons as early as 1968. Casey was the weekend and fill-in jock on that station, and it was only LA's #2 rock station in those days. Who knew Casey would hit the big time?
...in fact, on that 1968 KRLA countdown show, didn't Kasem use the Cash Box Top 100 Singles chart instead of the Billboard Hot 100 that was used on American Top 40? Back in the early '70s, I never heard AT40 on a Sunday morning, the local affiliate where I was growing up -- KFIZ/1450 Fond du Lac, WI -- ran it at 8:00 P.M. Sunday night. I think I might have even caught one of the late-late-late night runs on WCFL/1000 Chicago in '72, but that was only technically Sunday morning, in the real world that was late Saturday night ;-) ...

Ultimajock said:
Lkeller said:
I remember hearing Casey Kasem on AT40 on Sunday mornings in 1971 on KRLA 1110 AM - a Top 40 station in LA. For that matter, I remember Casey Kasem doing basically the same thing - a count down show - on KRLA Sunday afternoons as early as 1968. Casey was the weekend and fill-in jock on that station, and it was only LA's #2 rock station in those days. Who knew Casey would hit the big time?
...in fact, on that 1968 KRLA countdown show, didn't Kasem use the Cash Box Top 100 Singles chart instead of the Billboard Hot 100 that was used on American Top 40? Back in the early '70s, I never heard AT40 on a Sunday morning, the local affiliate where I was growing up -- KFIZ/1450 Fond du Lac, WI -- ran it at 8:00 P.M. Sunday night. I think I might have even caught one of the late-late-late night runs on WCFL/1000 Chicago in '72, but that was only technically Sunday morning, in the real world that was late Saturday night ;-) ...

Yes, pre-AT40, Casey used Cash Box for his Sunday afternoon program on KRLA.

The local AM station where I grew up listening to the radio had Casey on Sunday afternoons from 3:00 until 6:00, back when the show was three hours, in the mid-to-late '70s. They didn't have it on at all those oddball times back then, like 6:00 on Saturday (or Sunday) mornings! :mad: What teenager in his right mind would get up that early on a weekend morning just to listen to a countdown? (I seemed to recall that they also had some bonus re-airings during the overnight hours on weekend mornings, but those were not the only airings (as later became the case! ::)))

firepoint525 said:
The local AM station where I grew up listening to the radio had Casey on Sunday afternoons from 3:00 until 6:00, back when the show was three hours, in the mid-to-late '70s. They didn't have it on at all those oddball times back then, like 6:00 on Saturday (or Sunday) mornings!

ISTR Sunday nights being the most common time for AT40 to run, I don't think I heard anyone it on Sat. or Sun. morning until the 80s.

Oldbones said:
firepoint525 said:
The local AM station where I grew up listening to the radio had Casey on Sunday afternoons from 3:00 until 6:00, back when the show was three hours, in the mid-to-late '70s. They didn't have it on at all those oddball times back then, like 6:00 on Saturday (or Sunday) mornings!
ISTR Sunday nights being the most common time for AT40 to run, I don't think I heard anyone it on Sat. or Sun. morning until the 80s.
The station that I used to listen to (referenced above) moved Casey to Saturday mornings sometime in the '80s, when they shifted him over to a new FM station that they acquired back about that time. They used Sunday evenings for reairs of Rick Dees Weekly Top 40. At one time, they also carried the John Leader/Dick Clark-hosted Countdown USA (or was it Countdown America?), giving them a total of three countdown programs every weekend, two of which were Radio & Records surveys. I believe they dropped Casey for a while, but then picked him up again about six months later.

Every week, AT Top 40 is heard on great radio stations like
WIMP, AM 1340 in Eephus, Kentucky, KRUD-FM 99.1 in
Glockenspiel, Montana, and Power Radio OU812 in
Mugupugunutugupu, Papua, New Guinea, at 109.9 FM.
Thanks for listening, and now it's on with the survey! ;D

WGTZ/Z-93 ran AT40 with Casey on Sunday mornings starting in March, 1987...and later aired Westwood One's Casey's Top 40 Sunday mornings from 9A-1P. They aired Casey's Top 40 until the end in March, 1998. I remember them airing the Shadoe Stevens version of AT40 on Sunday nights from 7-11P, followed by Joel Denver's "Future Hits". After AT40 stopped syndicating in the U.S., 'GTZ replaced it with Rick Dees' Weekly Top 40, which eventually moved to Saturday mornings until the station flipped to Adult Hits Fly 92.9 in November, 2007.
I also remember "On the Radio" with the late Big Ron O'Brien airing on Z as well, on early Sunday mornings. O'Brien left that show and was replaced by someone else whom I can't recall...and then the show was cancelled from syndication in mid-2002.

Heres a good explanation of what happened w/ Countdown America & Countdown USA:

http://at40fg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=generalmusic&action=display&thread=1646

Around here, I remember hearing Casey on sunday nights in the 70s, could of been 8-11 or 9-12, an then 8-12 when it expanded to 4 hours in '78. Not sure if it aired any other time or not. In '83 Casey moved to Q107 where AT40 stayed sunday mornings 8-12. Opposite of him was Countdown AMerica an then Rick Dees and then Caseys Top 40 on Power105 8-12. B106 carried Rockin America Top 30 sunday morning but can't remember if that was 8-11 or 9-12. B106 disapeared in '88, AT40 w/ Shadoe stayed on Q107 til '91 apparently and disappeared for good. Caseys top 40 stayed on 105 till their demise in '92. Casey never returned. Except when his American top 10 show popped up on WASH fm this century (originally known as AT20 AC).

I remember radio station WZAT in Savannah in '89 aired CT40 sunday mornings, and then AT40 sunday nights.
WAPW Power 99 Atlanta aired CT40 sunday mornings.
WRVQ Richmond ALWAYS, and to this day STILL airs AT40/CT40/AT40 at the same time it always has 8-12 sunday morn
WMDM All hit 98 Lexington park MD aired AT40 I believe on Saturday nights.
WRAR 105 Tappahanock VA aired AT40 sundays 3-7pm, Rick Dees saturday nights 6-10pm

B104 Baltimore aired AT40 sunday mornings, re-played it sunday night at midnight.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom