• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ambitious Project - The Alternative Archives

J

JimmyJames

As someone who's way too obsessed with radio, specifically alt/modern rock radio, for his own health.. I've got an idea.

How about a site, non profit - dedicated to memories and memories of every modern/alt rocker ever.

I'd eventually like to catalog every station that ever did modern rock - no matter if its KROQ LA or KSPI Stillwater or KXIX Bend. Think of it in a Wikipedia style but with jock lineups, playlists if possible, complete airchecks, logo gallery.

Here's what I do have:

Airchecks. Tons of them. Some scoped, some unscoped. Perfect for using the IDs for computer alert sounds, ringtones, whatever. Airchecks, well, some of this stuff isn't out there in circulation.

Playlists. Tons of them. I try to spend some time on web.archive.org tracking down playlists for various past AAA and Alt stations.

Plenty of spare time to research, organize and digitize audio.

Here's what I do not have:

Server space

Web design skills of any kind

Any clue how much it would cost to maintain this site. I figure we could start with a basic wiki that was user editable - then work out the multimedia later.

Anyone interested? This could be a memorial to the stations of our generation. I figure it would be also nice to have a forum where people could easily post clips of songs to ID or discuss current alt/modern radio, streams, and post their personal playlists and music views. Similar to the CFNY Toronto tribute site.

I'm personally afraid a lot of knowledge about some great, or at least mildly entertaining radio, will be lost the longer we wait to preserve it. What do you all think?

OP i once had this thought too.

One thing, if you do this, don't make it non-profit. Why not get rewarded for your hard work? This is America! see the ads on this site? They help the site owners keep the lights on. So please make it literally worth your while if you do decide to take on this large, noble project.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom