• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM may end, but digital prospers in the UK

Chuck said:
Please note that the UK version is DRM, not IBOC. With few exceptions, those of us who are cautious about IBOC have no real problem with the concept of Digital Radio.

Once again, that mellow mind known as “Chuck” has come to the rescue! VERY FEW here (maybe minus the most “infamous”) are uttering a prayer for digital destruction. Any sensible reality tells us that “digital” IS the future—and a MUST! Generally, we are more concerned with the “messenger” than we are prone to oppose the “message”.

I have stated that I can find NO reason to NOT allow the marketplace to follow its natural pattern and pass judgment on IBOC FM HD. This having been said, let me offer a couple observations... First, WHY would I choose to pay $300 for an HD “table radio” which performs WELL BELOW that of its original $150 mono cousin? Understandably, many new (and improved) HD-mode receivers may soon hit the market at a lower price, but that brings a second issue to point...

I Live in Charleston, SC—a very fine and classy “destination city”. Yet the FM dial here is an abysmal collection of “low-end” formats. Yes, we have a couple very good country stations here—but one is either a “fan” or not. We (still) have a classic rocker—but it suffers the usual corporate maladies—a repetitive 250-song playlist and a presentation that lacks imagination and creativity. Adult Standards are off-sat on a broom-closet PC feeding an AM transmitter, and oldies are on a low-powered AM rimshot. WXLC no longer qualifies as a “real” oldies station—it’s “Jack” without the royalty payments! So WHY would I purchase an HD radio to listen to FM formats that I generally DON’T enjoy?

Some reading this may “pass Go and collect $200” by instantly concluding that I’m guilty of the unpardonable sin of turning 50. Let me sober you folks up VERY QUICKLY... I have six young nieces and nephews that span late grade-school to college. NONE have approached me to say “Uncle Hippo—what about 108.1 WXXX FM”... In fact, the terrestrial radio band is non-existent in their lifestyle. So... “radio” seems content to “pass off” their historical fans, yet score a fat ZERO with those “coming up” that may be the digital “early-adopters”.

Something about this doesn’t make for a very intelligent marketing lexicon.

"Uncle Hippo" the greatest argument FOR HD is the ability to give oldies formats a quality voice again, to allow minority formats to be heard, to bring dissenting voices to talk, to bring music to those who thought they could only find something interesting on the 'net, to allow local musicians to be heard, to bring reading services to the blind, in general to enliven radio with creativity, and variety, allowing "all flowers to bloom". Idealistic? You betcha'! I'm a child of the 60s and 70s. Do I believe the future is REALLY that rosy? Of course not. But if it achieves half, or even a quarter of what I've described, it's worthwhile!

Mike Walker said:
"Uncle Hippo" the greatest argument FOR HD is the ability to give oldies formats a quality voice again, to allow minority formats to be heard, to bring dissenting voices to talk, to bring music to those who thought they could only find something interesting on the 'net, to allow local musicians to be heard, to bring reading services to the blind, in general to enliven radio with creativity, and variety, allowing "all flowers to bloom". Idealistic? You betcha'! I'm a child of the 60s and 70s. Do I believe the future is REALLY that rosy? Of course not. But if it achieves half, or even a quarter of what I've described, it's worthwhile!

FMeXtra HD does all of that, without the interference, cost, and problems of iBiquity/HD. You should drop your support of the inferior, more problematic system.

Mike Walker said:

Mike... Obviously you fall into a category of folks that dislike the current state-of-affairs, yet you desire a contract with those folks to provide a v/o to them when they decide to “throw you a bone”. Mike, I’m NOT outside that same position—but I’m NOT using the blogs to stroke their shameless activities. In fact—I’ve chosen to use this forum AGAINST THEM ... And I STILL get their business. A cherished debate coach told me years ago—“Speak your informed and intelligent mind Son”. ‘Think it applies here!

I’m happy that your purchase of the Radio Shack HD Accurian has satisfied you... I DID NOT have the same results with an HD receiver in terrain much less difficult than yours. Frankly... I’m SHOCKED with the demos you provided here (from an 80-mile distance). You presented an HD-2 from a receiver that formerly was in 54-dbu “stereo blend”... DUBIOUS! That can’t realistically happen Mike! WHAT is your agenda?

You live adjacent to a very fine market that has been decimated by the crew that may, and “should” end up in JAIL for their mismanagement of the public trust! I hope you will migrate your opinions back to the benefit of the local stations that REALLY do a good job in transmitting to their communities—and leave your uncompensated IBOC stuff aside.

I’m in myboyhood town for a final evening listeningto our local oldies station on AM. This station recently upgraded its signal with a digital (non-IBOC) rig—it sounds AWESOME on a plain ‘ole AM receiver—I’m listening on a Tivoli iPAL... Quality is excellent! Plenty of “highs”—“S” sib and hi-frequency overtones—EXCELANT AUDIO! On the Tivoli they had FULL BASS and a appreciable high end.

AM doesn’t need to run to the IOOC buzz-saw to provide a compelling audio experience. AM has very embattled audio qualities. It is AWESSOM in its simplicity. It is capable of VERY GOOD AUDIO under right receiver condones...

Mike Walker said:
:D

Well, I knew, all this would eventually catch up to you. Let's see, "ability to give oldies formats a quality voice again" - what do you think, WABC AM is doing, with their ressurrection of Saturday Night Oldies (with Web blogs in support), and with our 101.9 FM, in Maryland, doing the same thing ? We also have 94.7 FM and 100.7 FM for oldies - I think, extra HD channels are needed, NOT ! I really think, I am going to vomit ! :p

Mike Walker said:
From the London Daily Telegraph

Wave farewell to AM radio, say experts

By David Sapsted
12/30/2006

Radio broadcasts on medium wave will end within a few years if a powerful coalition of commercial radio interests has its way.

Ofcom, commercial radio's regulatory body, will launch a debate in the coming months on the future of radio.

Many predict that it will result in the end of AM broadcasts as we have known them since the days of the Home Service and Light Programme.
[EDIT]

[EDIT-citation truncated because size exceeds fair use standards. Unauthorized citation of copyrighted content is in violation of our Terms of Service. To read the rest of the article, please click on the URL below.]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/12/30/nradio30.xml

"Opening Up the Conversation - talk radio new formats to attract new audiences"

"Talk radio is still tremendously popular, capturing 17 percent of all listeners during a given quarter-hour period, a share that has remained stable over the past few years. Radio talk show hosts wield enormous influence... Talk programs also tend to be more expensive for advertisers than music formats... Talk has consistently been among the top three formats in terms of converting audience share to revenue share."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_2001_Oct_1/ai_79052842

Too bad, looks like AM talk-radio is doing just fine, in the US ! ;)

I don't mind responding to detractors. But I'll confine my remarks to the rational ones. Like Hippo.

My sentiments sure as hell don't lie with the Clear Channels and CBS/Infinitys of this world (despite the fact that my work runs on Clear Channel stations in Greensboro quite often).

Be dubious if you like, but my recordings of HD at my house are exactly as I represented them. It works that well WITH MY SETUP. And I'm in a pretty damn lousy FM environment. MOST HD stations are either mono, or severely blended in analog, until the HD kicks in. But it pisses me to no end that the stations providing this are largely (entirely in the commercial arena) Clear Channel and CBS/Infinity operations. YUCK! Imagine if someone you wanted to strangle the life out of gave you a check for ten grand, and the keys to a brand new car...no strings attached. That's HD in a nutshell to me.

By the way, the first hour I experimented with my Accurian, I thought "this thing really sucks. When I kind of get a signal, it goes back and forth from digital to analog, crap...I'm going to box this thing back up". Then I started experimenting with different antennas. Terk amplified antenna? NO WAY! It actually brought in nothing in HD until I turned the amplifier OFF! Rabbit ears suddenly brought in a half-dozen usable signals instead of one. Some of the weaker ones occasionally crapped out, so I tried an FM Reflect. It was an improvement, but was too "floppy" to stay in any position that yielded good results. Then came the Magnum Dynalab SR100. It looks like electrically it should present itself as a pair of rabbit ears, with the elements stacked (and connected on the ends). Except the elements aren't round...they're a flat metal ribbon...think the metal tape on a tape measure. Anyhow after connecting it, and experimenting with position (trying to find one that would bring in signals from the south toward Davidson and Charlotte, and the east toward Greensboro without repositioning the antenna, I found something that worked. MANY stations, solid as a rock...hour after hour, HD2 signals in tow.

That's why I keep posting the particular gear I used, and how it's set up. I know it's much easier to obtain lousy results. Manufacturers should be very specific about antenna requirements. Signal strength actually makes little difference. Amplifier noise (from an amplified antenna, or a separate amp or booster) seems to kill hd deader 'n Elvis!

Pick one HD station in your area with a particularly strong, noise free, non-blended analog stereo signal, and make your first HD 'stand' on that frequency. IT WILL LOCK ON! Expand out from there. Experiment with antenna location until you find a good compromise.

NO IT'S NOT THIS DIFFICULT IN URBAN AREAS! But "in the sticks" it sure is.

By the way, it isn't JUST the big commercial corporations pushing HD. Thank God for NPR, and public radio in general. Signals that truly do approach CD quality, and no agenda other than to provide better service. They ain't stockholders in Ibiquity. In fact HD has cost them plenty. Money they won't get back. They're willing to do it to serve us BETTER.

If I had a small market station, would I go HD now. Almost certainly not ESPECIALLY with an AM that was performing well. Too much expense, I don't want to owe my life to Ibiquity, and public awareness is almost zilch. But thankfully, unlike AM Stereo, we don't all need to "carry the water" this early in the game. The biggies are doing it for us. Down the road, we could actually benefit!

I can't argue with any of your negatives Hippo. But having experienced the positives, I'm kind of glad I don't have a "horse in this race'. 80 percent of my HD listening is to public stations like WDAV. Once in a while I'll go over to WTQR's HD2 stream, because I like country oldies...or Lite 102.9's HD2 stream, because I like oldies (I AM ONE! I played most of these songs on the radio when they were new) My radio listening is largely in bed at night...often while reading...through headphones, to block out my wife's X-Files and Simpsons viewing orgies! (No she doesn't have real orgies with Homer OR Mulder!)

If not for public radio, I wouldn't own an HD radio now, frankly, and would curse them as tools of Satan, Hippo. I admitted it. Ya' happy now?

Mike Walker said:
I don't mind responding to detractors. But I'll confine my remarks to the rational ones. Like Hippo... I admitted it. Ya' happy now?

:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom