• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 840

cyberdad

Staff member
Far northwest suburban Chicago.....

(Travel day tomorrow. 6/13, so I'm here a little early)

Days: Nothing. Until about a year and a half ago it was splatter from a local daytimer using the WAIT call letters on 850.

Nights: A very solid signal from WHAS

Other Location: This past week at our beach location, as posted in another thread, I was hearing what I'd describe as "easy listening" vocals and instrumentals on a Spanish language station. All alone one night. Mixing or under WHAS on a couple of other ocasions. I'm guessing it was Cuba, but I never did catch an ID. WHAS is usually as strong at the beach near Pensacola as it is at my home location.

Daytimes at that location, 840 is a fair-weak signal from WBHY, 10kw non-directional, from Mobile, AL. About 50 miles northwest of me via a land path with very poor ground conductivity. KGLA from Norco, Louisiana is stronger, although it's only 5kw and three times farther away. Saltwater path makes all the difference.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

Daytime: Usually nothing, but I've gotten WHAS several times during winter skywave.

Nighttime: WHAS and only WHAS. When it was off for repairs, there was total silence on this frequency.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing
Nighttime: WHAS dominating the frequency

DX/Retro: sometimes during good conditions at night the Cuban Dobleve can be heard under WHAS. In recent months WHAS went off the air on several occasions opening the frequency up. The most common catches were the Cubans CMHW Dobleve and CMKC Radio Revolucion. Another station logged recently with WHAS off was KVJY (Pharr, TX). Other DX on this frequency includes KTIC (West Point, NE), KWDF (Ball, LA), and the now defunct CHUR (North Bay, ON) back in mid-1980's.

In the near north Chicago suburbs: daytime nothing. At night a strong WHAS. When WHAS has been off the air I've heard Cuba a couple of times. I've tried for KXNT which is strong in the southwest, but I've never heard it in the midwest.

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago:

Days, nothing, though one October in 1995 in came KWPN West Point, Nev., either at sunrise or sunset. Log doesn't say.

Nights, WHAS Louisville, first and always. As dependable as my horse following other horses in the Derby. During one of WHAS's recent off-air moments, CHMW Dobleve, Cuba made, a weak cameo appearance.

From south Overland Park, Kansas:

Day: Nothing except a very weak KTIC, West Point, Nebraska in winter.

Critical Hours: Either KTIC or WHAS.

Night: A solid and listenable WHAS. No other signals logged.

Bob

840 isn't terribly exciting in the eastern half of the country so it would seem.
East Tennessee---Daytime: A weak WHAS
Night: A stronger WHAS
When WHAS was off the air recently, I was able to catch "W" (Doubleve) and Radio Revolucion weakly, but there via the Edinburgh IN SDR (confirmed with Key West).

From Reynoldsburg, Ohio, a weak WHAS daytime and much stronger at night.
It was one of the stronger 50K stations from this part of the country when I lived in Houston. Often stronger than WLW.

In west Houston, daytime I heard KWDF weakly once last winter after local 850 went silent. Sunset I've heard KWDF, KVJY, and KTIC mixing with WHAS. At night, WHAS with some Spanish often underneath - likely Cuba but haven't ID'd.

South Mississippi:

Day - WBHY Mobile, AL is very weak, stronger during critical hours
Night- WHAS with good signal, KWDF Ball, LA comes in occasionally. CMHW Dobleve sometimes can be received with WHAS nulled.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom