• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 820

Status
Not open for further replies.
.Hearing WLS in Hawaii had to be real nice.
Exactly what my homesick teenaged self needed! Of course having K-POI two blocks away from me and getting to hang out there once in a while also helped ease the pain!

@DavidEduardo

Way back last century, as a bunch of DXing kids and other less socially advanced slobs, our very first 'broadcast radio station' was from a transmitter the size of a large charcoal briquet that ran off a wee, square transistor radio battery and into the legal 10-foot wire. We'd wait until when WNYC 830 signed off at 10(?) PM in their deference to WCCO Minneapolis. Then we'd start in with our jollies on 820. The 'station' was in the middle of the block. Half of us wanted to be DJs ; half were concerned with the 'coverge' of the darned thing. I was into both facets, and would often be outside, hearing how far we went.
We got out maybe the usual 3 houses' distance back there in Queens. And whenever I got to the corner, there was no us. Just HJED. I don't know what power HJED ran, but it was probably more than we put out.

The Covid year managed to bring most of us back together in communications. This past March several of us had a GTG out this way. Naturally, the years and decades of careers and marriages and service have done their duty in molding us into responsible, mature adults. So this time around we just used a part 15 *FM* transmitter to belaeguer the local Comfort Inn - Cracker Barrel Market and suburban metro with self-indulgent and inappropriate music CDs. 1600 feet up was a good HAAT to try out an eager sequel.
But I will always remember how easy and loud a catch HJED was,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom