• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 770

cyberdad

Staff member
40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago......

Days: Splatter from 35kw (former 50kw) WBBM (780).

Night: Even though WBBM adds a little "hamburger helper" and goes up to 42kw, WABC is strong enough to break through on most nights.

Other Location: I;ve now been in Arizona and Southern California for a little over a week. Since I arrived, it's been all KKOB at night, Usually with a fair- good signal.

From south Overland Park, Kansas:

Day: Splatter from local KCCV on 760 kHz.

Critical Hours: WEW in St. Louis and KKOB, Albuquerque while they are on day pattern.

Night: Usually nothing. On rare occasion, WABC will come in.

Bob

Daytime, a weak WAIS from Buchtel, Ohio, but for all intents and purposes Nelsonville, 60 miles to my southeast down U.S. 33. Contemporary Christian but before that country for quite a while.
It's a daytimer. At night, always WABC.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

Pretty simple frequency for me. During the daytime, nothing. During the nighttime, usually I can hear some WABC, though it's not as strong or reliable as WCBS for example.

Retro: In the 80s in the Bay Area, KOB Albuquerque would come in every night. At some point during that period they added a K and became KKOB, as they are known today.

East Tennessee: Daytime-absolutely nothing
Night: WABC with possibly some Latin American interference

Retro/other: Dayton, Ohio area, WAIS, Buchtel, Ohio during the day, WABC at night
Other loggings include WVNN, near Huntsville AL and WEW.

During my Junior High and High School days in Western, Ohio, some winter days I could catch Dan Ingram as early as 4:30pm. WABC had a better night signal than WLS or WCFL, because the Chicago rockers were still within the groundwave/skywave cancellation zone. WABC often was gone by sunrise, but sometimes re-appeared later (a phenomenon I've noted over the years---still having good conditions to the east a couple hours after sunrise.

The tone, het, internal birdie or whatever that's on 770 has always been a mystery

In the near north Chicago suburbs: Days all WBBM splatter. At night WABC. I can usually null WBBM well enough for WABC to come through with a good signal. Back in it's Top 40 days WABC was a go to station for me at night.

Critical hours I've heard WEW, KUOM and many years ago WCAL in Northfield, Minnesota.

Other location: When in the desert southwest it's all KKOB at night.

From the southwest suburbs of Chicago:

Day: nothing aside from WBBM stopover.

Critical Hours: Rarely, WEW St. Louis. It’s probably there often but I don’t look for it.

Night: WABC New York. Usually the most reliable of the NYC blowtorches. Odd to hear Fox News at the top of the hour, along with the FM simulcast ID.

Other loggings include WVNN, near Huntsville AL
Forgot all about that one. I have heard them a couple of times around sunset when they were on day pattern, but not recently

In the 1990s, Huntsville was a regular business destination for several years. WVNN had a really nice day signal for 10kw in an area with generally poor ground conductivity. At night, they dropped to something like 500 watts, IIRC, and WABC trashed them.

From Carrollton, MO:
Daytime: Splatter from KCCV, Overland Park, KS
Nighttime: Splatter from WBBM, Chicago, IL & a very weak WABC, New York, NY.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: nothing except splatter from nearby WBBM
Nighttime: normally WABC

DX/Retro: WEW can be heard during local sunset. My most recent catches on this frequency are the two Cubans Radio Aretmisa and Radio Rebelde in December 2020. Both with 10 kW. Others heard in the past include KJBC (Lafayete, LA), KATL (Miles City, MT), WVNN (Athens, AL), WJMM (Nicholasville, KY), HJJX (Bogota, Colombia) and the now defunct YSKL (San lavador, El Salvador)

San Jose, CA

Days: KCBC..... A very strong 50kw westward signal out of Manteca, CA

Nights: Very weak KCBC, with a very definite KKOB out of Albuquerque, fighting to be heard underneath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom