• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1420

cyberdad

Staff member
Far northwest suburban Chicago.....

Days: Pretty much empty. Occasionally on the Superadio, I can hear WOC from Davenport, IA. Less commonly WIMS from Michigan City IN. Both of those are 5kw with somewhat favorable patterns.

Nights: Usually its a mess with either WOC or WHK most likely to rise to the top. And/or perform the battle of the "three letter call stations". I've also heard KTOE a couple of times. And just this morning, about 90 minutes before sunrise, WIMS came through with a legal ID. And then quickly disappeared.

In the Atlanta area WWSZ Decatur, GA. occupies that spot. It is one of the dozen or so hip hop urban stations in the area. It has a rather weak signal to my QTH which is surprising since Decatur is only 10 miles away.
It was once a religious station owned by Bob Jones University.

Near north Chicago suburbs, 1420 is all splatter from WEEF on 1430. The few times WEEF has been off the air I can hear WIMS.
At night WEEF is weaker and I hear a mixture usually of WIMS, WOC, and sometimes WHK.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

Daytime it's WIMS in Michigan City, IN, with a reasonable signal. It's one of several stations on the east shore of Lake Michigan playing oldies that I can hear.

Nightime, the most common is WOC in Davenport, IA. I don't think I've heard WIMS at night. Other logs are WCED in Du Bois PA and KTOE in Mankato, MN. Have not ever heard the WHK station that the other locals mentioned.

Mankato, MN

KTOE Mankato
5kw signal....tower is about a mile out of town

I may be telling you something you already know, but KTOE is a monster at night in the Minnesota and Wisconsin northwoods. Also common at might in Winnipeg.

East Tennessee: Pretty clear, with only WEMB, Ervin TN nearby.
Night: Pretty much a hodge podge

Chicago by the lakeshore:

Daytime it's WIMS in Michigan City, IN, with a reasonable signal. It's one of several stations on the east shore of Lake Michigan playing oldies that I can hear.

Nightime, the most common is WOC in Davenport, IA. I don't think I've heard WIMS at night. Other logs are WCED in Du Bois PA and KTOE in Mankato, MN. Have not ever heard the WHK station that the other locals mentioned.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: WIMS Michigan City, IN
Nightime: open frequency with WOC frequently heard

DX/RETRO: others heard include KTOE (Mankato, MN), WKPR (Kalamazoo, MI), WHK (Cleveland, OH), WVJS (Owensboro, KY), WRCG (Columbus, GA), WFLT (Flint, MI), WHBN (Harrodsburg, KY), and XEEW (Matamoros, Mexico)

WHK goes DA probably 30 minutes before Chicago Local Sunset. WOC is one of the stations WHK protects well. Both are obviously very old stations, so they were III-As and not supposed to interfere greater than 125 uV/m field strength to each other.

From NW San Antonio:

Day: Semi-local, classic country KGNB in New Braunfels.

Sunset: XEH "Antologia Vallenata" in Monterrey comes up in the N/S null of KGNB. A weak KPIR in Granbury, TX, occasionally pops up in that null.

Night: KGNB drops from 1 kW to 196 watts and is weaker and in/out. To the N/S, XEH is most dominant, with XEEW in Matamoros sometimes coming up for a while. Aiming more NE, KHBS "La Zeta" in Hot Springs, AR, can be heard occasionally. KPIR still pops up briefly for bits.

Sunrise: KGNB and XEEW are stronger when they go to day power/pattern. XEH is still most dominant N/S.

DX/RETRO: I've heard KPEL in Lafayette, LA, and KWBF in Lubbock, TX, once each at sunrise. Also, the other night I heard a brief "country hits and 15-minute weather guarantee" ID from a station that was neither KGNB nor KPIR. Haven't been able to identify it so far.

Daytime, a weak WOC. Sometimes not even audible. Only 65 miles away.
Nighttime, usually KTOE Mankato, MN. Occasionally WOC is there.

WOC has is nulled somewhat to the northeast. Perhaps to protect KTOE. At my college location in Mount Pleasant, I was about 70 miles southwest of Davenport, and WOC was solid 24/7. (WOC-TV, Ch 6, was something of another story. Vieweable, but not as clear as the other Quad Cities VHFs on Chs 4 and 8.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom