• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the week: 1360:

cyberdad

Staff member
Far northwest Chicago suburb....

Days: Semi-local WLBK from DeKalb, IL. 1kw non-directional, about 25 miles to my southwest. Signal here is fair-good.

Nights: WLBK powers down and disappears. 1360 at night here is pretty much a mess. with WSAI most likelu to rise to the top, but very much prone to fading. WTAQ (Green Bay) occasionally puts in an appearance. This is a relatively mew development. It used to be pretty much just the opposite.

Retro: WMOB from Mobile, AL was something of an unlikely regular a few years ago when they were running their 9kw directional day power at night. At the time it was widely heard throughout the Midwest. I havent't heard them lately, however, so I guess they're now behaving themselves.

I've driven by the transmitter site a number of times, Just off I-10. It's adjacent to Mobile Bay in a saltwater swamp. Evem with the swamp and the salt water, the day signal isn't anything special. That's due to very poor ground conductivity in the area combined with the tight directional pattern. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that WMOB is protecting WSMB (or whatever it is now, 1350). to the west, and WCOA Pensacola, 1370, to the east.

In the near north Chicago suburbs 1360 is a fair WLBK during the day. At evening critical hours WKMI can sometimes be heard.
At night it's sometimes WKMI and WSAI in a mess of stations.

Chicago by the lakeshore:

During the daytime I don't really get anything strong enough to listen to. If I'm on the lake I can make out WKMI in Kalamazoo and if I'm inland from the wall of Chicago buildings I can make out WLBK in De Kalb but both are pretty weak.

At night there are a lot of weak stations. For me the most likely to rise to the top is KSCJ in Sioux City, IA. One time I also heard WWOW in Conneaut, OH on Lake Erie. This was an interesting one... an independent oldies station that proudly called themselves "Boomer Tunes" and played songs from the 50s to 70s. When I was a kid there were a lot more independent stations and I was glad to see some still existed. I tried finding them again other days but it was gone. Not sure if the first time they were pulling an all-nighter and using daytime power or I just got lucky (I've gotten some pretty weak signals across the Great Lakes.)

Haven't heard anything besides the above.

East Tennessee: Daytime-Nothing comes to mind, possibly WNAH, Nashville
Night: A hodge-podge including WSAI and WMOB

Retro/other: Dayton, OH. Usually WSAI

Chicago by the lakeshore:

During the daytime I don't really get anything strong enough to listen to. If I'm on the lake I can make out WKMI in Kalamazoo and if I'm inland from the wall of Chicago buildings I can make out WLBK in De Kalb but both are pretty weak.

At night there are a lot of weak stations. For me the most likely to rise to the top is KSCJ in Sioux City, IA. One time I also heard WWOW in Conneaut, OH on Lake Erie. This was an interesting one... an independent oldies station that proudly called themselves "Boomer Tunes" and played songs from the 50s to 70s. When I was a kid there were a lot more independent stations and I was glad to see some still existed. I tried finding them again other days but it was gone. Not sure if the first time they were pulling an all-nighter and using daytime power or I just got lucky (I've gotten some pretty weak signals across the Great Lakes.)

Haven't heard anything besides the above.

I've heard WKMI and KCSJ, but it's been a long time since I've heard either. Perhaps 20 years. I've never heard WWOW here, but it's interesting to me for another reason. It puts a surprisingly good signal into southwestern Ontario, and I used to hear it all the time during the years I frequently made the run between Toronto and Detroit along the 401 freeway. (1993-2012). It was good for nearly 100 miles between the two cities. Format then was canned talk. I'd be interested to check out what they're doing with "Boomer Tunes".

Orange County, TX Days KWWJ Baytown, TX Nights a mess with mostly KKTX Corpus Christi
, TX being the most frequently heard.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: WLBK with fair signal
Nightime: mostly WTAQ Green bay

DX/RETRO: DX wise this is a quite productive frequency for me with over 20 stations heard, including three stations from Texas (KBUK, KRYS, KAHZ). Besides the more common WSAI, WKMI, KCSJ, WIBK, also hear KHNC (Johnstown, CO), WXKY (Milan, TN), WWBZ (Vineland, NJ), WIXZ (McKeesport, PA). Heard WMOB as well thanks to them cheating as cyberdad noted.

Here in Wood Dale, IL in the near NW suburb of Chicago:

Daytime: WLBK with fair signal
Nightime: mostly WTAQ Green bay

DX/RETRO: DX wise this is a quite productive frequency for me with over 20 stations heard, including three stations from Texas (KBUK, KRYS, KAHZ). Besides the more common WSAI, WKMI, KCSJ, WIBK, also hear KHNC (Johnstown, CO), WXKY (Milan, TN), WWBZ (Vineland, NJ), WIXZ (McKeesport, PA). Heard WMOB as well thanks to them cheating as cyberdad noted.

I forgot about WIXZ as I did hear it quite awhile ago.
CADXER, What kind of equipment are you using? You sure dig out the DX very well.

I use a Drake R8 with a Quantum QX Loop for AM DX and an Alpha-Delta Sloper antenna for shortwave. Before the Drake I used a Kenwoood R-2000, which I still have but need to be serviced.

I also haave a portable SONY ICF-2010, which I mostly use when I travel.

For FM I use Sangean HDT-20.

I use a Drake R8 with a Quantum QX Loop for AM DX and an Alpha-Delta Sloper antenna for shortwave. Before the Drake I used a Kenwoood R-2000, which I still have but need to be serviced.

I also haave a portable SONY ICF-2010, which I mostly use when I travel.

For FM I use Sangean HDT-20.

Very nice.

West Central Georgia:

Days: Weak WLWE Roanoke AL 1000/54 CBS Sports

Nights: Most commonly heard is WMOB Mobile AL 9000/200(?) Religious, with WSAI Cincinnati OH 5000 Sports also heard; also have heard WCHL Chapel Hill NC 5000/1000 News/Talk/UNC Sports and WHCG Metter ("It's better in Metter) GA 1000/59(?) Southern Gospel

Mason City, IA:
Daytime-Generally nothing, though KMJM/Cedar Rapids will travel up here somewhat. Have caught them and KSCJ/Sioux City fighting it out earlier this year, with one never really being dominant over the other.
Nighttime-When I did a scan in July of last year, I logged what I thought was KMJM or KSCJ (couldn’t really distinguish it) and WSAI.

Central Kansas:
Daytime-Good signal from KAHS/El Dorado
Nighttime-Slop, maybe WSAI in there on occasion. I’ll try to do another one if I get time next time I head down there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom