• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 1430 Signal - Howard Dean vs. Downing Street *DELETED*

Re: AM 1430 Signal - Howard Dean vs. Downing Street

Millenium commented:

> ON another matter - the reception for AM 1430 is dreadful in
> Winchester and certain other cities and towns, though it
> comes in fine in Woburn or Stoneham or Medford, it seems to
> drift in and out. Is it the hills & valleys?

If it's during daylight hours, you should be getting a strong signal from WXKS-1430.

If not, your problems could be the result of local interference.

At night, even Winchester might have problems getting the station. The WXKS-AM night signal is directional to the east and northeast from their transmitter near the "T"'s Wellington station in Medford. Everett and Revere, perhaps up into Saugus get a good nighttime signal, downtown Boston gets a mediorce signal, and areas south and southwest of the transmitter site usually can't get much of a signal at all after sunset.

> At night, even Winchester might have problems getting the
> station. The WXKS-AM night signal is directional to the east
> and northeast from their transmitter near the "T"'s
> Wellington station in Medford. Everett and Revere, perhaps
> up into Saugus get a good nighttime signal, downtown Boston
> gets a mediorce signal, and areas south and southwest of the
> transmitter site usually can't get much of a signal at all
> after sunset.

I live in Somerville just under two miles southwest of the WXKS site (in the deepest null) and I still get a fairly good signal at night because I'm that close, but just over one more mile southwest past the Harvard Square Cambridge area, it's shot.

> I live in Somerville just under two miles southwest of the
> WXKS site (in the deepest null) and I still get a fairly
> good signal at night because I'm that close, but just over
> one more mile southwest past the Harvard Square Cambridge
> area, it's shot.
>

While they were music (until last October), I used to hear it very strong every night, even in the winter months, at Fresh Pond Circle (Cambridge), which is another 2 miles west-northwest of Harvard Square. It SEEMS as though the signal is not as good now.

> > I live in Somerville just under two miles southwest of the
> > WXKS site (in the deepest null) and I still get a fairly
> > good signal at night because I'm that close, but just over
> > one more mile southwest past the Harvard Square Cambridge
> > area, it's shot.
> >
>
> While they were music (until last October), I used to hear
> it very strong every night, even in the winter months, at
> Fresh Pond Circle (Cambridge), which is another 2 miles
> west-northwest of Harvard Square. It SEEMS as though the
> signal is not as good now.

Fresh Pond is a couple of miles farther northwest of Harvard Square, which is far enough north to get out of the extreme of their southwest null. It's closer to due west of Wellington.

WXKS-AM at night is audible, though noisy, farther west in that same direction in Arlington and Belmont, but not the same distance away to the southwest, past Harvard Square. On most nights, it's buried and gone in Allston, Brighton, Brookline, Newton and even Watertown, except perhaps the east end right near the Cambridge line.

>
> WXKS-AM at night is audible, though noisy, farther west in
> that same direction in Arlington and Belmont, but not the
> same distance away to the southwest, past Harvard Square. On
> most nights, it's buried and gone in Allston, Brighton,
> Brookline, Newton and even Watertown, except perhaps the
> east end right near the Cambridge line.
>
1430 is almost always listenable after dark on Concord Ave just east of Belmont Center. But take a right under the stone railroad bridge onto Leonard St, go through the Center, and proceed across Pleasant St and up Belmont Hill, and 1430 is usually toast within a couple of tenths of a mile. I think what we're dealing with here is more local anomalies in soil conductivity than the eccentricities of a very simple two-tower directional pattern.

During the day, 1430 should come in just fine in Winchester. And if it doesn't, 1200 should be OK, though not as strong as 1430 during the day in Winchester.

It's also possible that work is starting on connecting WILD up to one of WXKS (AM)'s towers, which could mean that 1430 is operating, at least some of the time, at less than full power.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom