• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 1350 KCKC, San Bernardino, CA format in the 1950s

This subject was addressed in an earlier, now closed thread, so I'm reviving the topic to add some info about the station in the 1950s, which no one really addressed in the previous answers.

My dad, Dan Cotterman, was a disc jockey, announcer, and engineer at AM 1350 KCSB, which changed to KCKC, in San Bernardino, California in the late 1950s. The format at that time was definitely middle-of-the-road music. They played light jazz, pops and novelty instrumentals, and current pop singers' hits. By the very late 1950s they were playing more and more to rock-and-roll. My dad had no interest in that musical genre, so he moved on to KYNO in Fresno, California, then KHOT in Madera. Unfortunately (for him), rock-and-roll was here to stay, and most stations were embracing it. By the early 1960s he had changed careers.

What career did he change to? KYNO was a great AM & FM station in the 70's. I met Billy Moore, Jim Carson & Bill Drake providing the programming. Elvis died that month, I only lasted 1 month

What career did he change to? KYNO was a great AM & FM station in the 70's. I met Billy Moore, Jim Carson & Bill Drake providing the programming. Elvis died that month, I only lasted 1 month
After giving up on his radio career, which lasted from 1951 to 1961, he became a writer and editor for various special interest magazines, like "Golf Illustrated", "Horse and Rider", "Private Pilot", and "Gun World". That led to a stint as an associate professor teaching graduate courses in non-fiction writing at the University of Southern California. Along the way, he also owned a Triumph motorcycle dealership for several years. He got into radio because he loved the popular music, particularly jazz/swing, that was still the big thing in the early 1950s. The switch to rock-and-roll in the late '50s and early '60s was not to his taste, and often put him at odds with program directors.

Back
Top Bottom