• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 1300 WRDZ goes silent

Wonder if Polnet Communications could diplex WRDZ with the the co-owned WNVR (AM 1030).
Obviously the WKTA 1330 site won't work.

The WNVR site might work for an STA. I have seen STAs from nearly that far away.

There might be some clues on the WOOD 1300 application for 20000 watts. WRDZ was one consideration in this, one of the ones that made WOOD have to go very directional Daytime. They needed to simulcast on 106.9 Muskegon very soon to make up the lost service to the West and Southwest, especially Ottawa County. The other station to consider is 1290 in the Milwaukee Area.

Wonder if Polnet Communications could diplex WRDZ with the the co-owned WNVR (AM 1030).

You'd have to shoot more signal south, whereas the Alsip site shot almost everything north. It would be an engineering mess. Maybe go south to the cornfields like WMFN 640?

I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the operations within the company (Polnet Communications).

On the other hand they might not be in too much rush to put the station back on the air and stick with their FM translators on 104.7, 105.5 and 107.1 FM along with WNVR to carry their Polskie Radio programming.

Last edited:
Weren't they simulcasting WRDZ 1300 on WNVR 1030? Seems like I read that someplace. They might be able to reduce overlap with 1 kW nondirectional Day for a replacement somewhere near the old or original site. With a 199 foot tower, they would have decent efiificency and no lighting requirements. My experience in reviewing applications and interference calculations is that they wouldn't be able to get much power at Night. WKTA 1330 is AUTHORIZED with just 110 watts with 6 towers Night, because all the nearby 1330s are relatively well protected. WOOD 1300 would probably be the limiting factor for a nondirectional Class D for WRDZ. I usually find that they can't get more than a few tens of watts, if that. But that would be enough for a translator, though those are limited in both availability and coverage.

Last edited:
I sort of doubt it. The WNVR toweers are short sticks about three miles west of where I live in Crystal Lake. I can't see this as a good site for replacing the coverage they'd be interested in replacing in the west and south of the metro area on 1300,

I sort of doubt it. The WNVR toweers are short sticks about three miles west of where I live in Crystal Lake. I can't see this as a good site for replacing the coverage they'd be interested in replacing in the west and south of the metro area on 1300,
It would probably be OK for an STA, but not good for a new licensed facility. They could also go to a very short top loaded tower like some of the newfangled designs. I think they are around 85 feet tall.

Here's a link to one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom