• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Altoona Mirror Article

It was good to see someone talking about WJAC-TV. Let me add to it...
Yes, it was Chick Young. In the 50's the big Channel Six story was when his infant son died. Chick was a ham who's call letters were W3NDG which he joked about them meaning "No Damned Good". After retirement he moved to Arizona and has since passed away. Weather-In-Motion was made famous by John Moorhead, a balding man who worked part time for Executone. He was very popular at the time. Other names...Rodge Wood who became a minister and is still involved in the church in the Pittsburgh area. Ron Lorence (Lorenzo) moved to TV from radio then moved on out to build WADJ in Somerset. He was also a ham operator for awhile with the call sign of WN3CZV I think. Ron Stephenson was without a doubt the best small market newscaster the world has ever seen. At times he could be a bit full of himself and he made more than his share of enemies both within the station and without. If you can go back far enough, you'll remember him getting arrested while covering the Peggy Ann Bradnick case in south centeral Pa. This was when a guy called "The Mountain Man" allegedly kidnapped her. Stephenson was dumped in the 70's I think and became a county commissioner. I think he's out of office now. WJAC-TV was owned by the estate of A. H. Walters. The man overseeing it was Walter W. Krebs. He was known as "Do-Bee" Krebs, as in "Do-Bee" and "Don't-Bee" as per Romper Room! THe WJAC building then housing AM, FM and TV was known as "The Ivory Tower".

More later as I dive into Johnstown radio. Stay Tuned!

"This is DXDXDX, Serving Millions From Atop the Alleghenies"

MORE MORE MORE!

When Rodge Wood left for the ministry he was replaced by a slightly overweight man named Adam Bittinger. Bittinger didn't last long and moved to radio at what used to be WARD-1490 and then known as WJNL. He did talk there and got himself elected to the State House of Representatives. He promptly got himself into legal trouble involving money or ghost employees etc and was impeached.

Anybody know more about Moorhead???

I think Adam called his program "Adam's Rib". I also heard that Ron used to enjoy the amber brew and one evening "threw up" on the news set (the flag in the background.?) I think he also may have been pinched for DWI. But I think this is how you have to behave when you're in the radio/tv business. It has something to do with show business.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom