• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alternative to gasoline

A

am-fm

Ok, since my I cant afford to buy a more fuel efficient car (theres an irony in there somewhere), Im looking at ways to spend less on gasoline. Ive found one way - make your own fuel! I found some instructions on how to make a still to make ehtanol for use in internal combustion engines (most cars can run on up to 10 or 15 percent ehtanol). Has anyone else tried this? <P ID="signature">______________

AOL IM: wnjoldies or jamminoldies105
CBS-FM lives at http://67.83.125.155:8010
Oldies Board co-moderator</P>

> Ok, since my I cant afford to buy a more fuel efficient car
> (theres an irony in there somewhere), Im looking at ways to
> spend less on gasoline. Ive found one way - make your own
> fuel! I found some instructions on how to make a still to
> make ehtanol for use in internal combustion engines (most
> cars can run on up to 10 or 15 percent ehtanol). Has anyone
> else tried this?

Have you asked the friendly folks at ATF for their suggestions?

Regardless, I don't think it'd be cost-effective on a small scale.

Not even if you process your weeds, lawn clippings, corncobs, orange peels, and uneaten vegetables.

Be patriotic.... Turn all your <font color=green size=+1">broccoli</font> into ethanol!

(Except Albert.)

73s from 954
<P ID="signature">______________
The Ballad of Saddam Hussein</P>

> > Ok, since my I cant afford to buy a more fuel efficient
> car
> > (theres an irony in there somewhere), Im looking at ways
> to
> > spend less on gasoline. >
> Not even if you process your weeds, lawn clippings,
> corncobs, orange peels, and uneaten vegetables.
>
> Be patriotic.... Turn all your broccoli into ethanol!
>
> (Except Albert.)
>
> 73s from 954
>
I spent the last 2 years working on this. The problem with biofuels is the high cost. I can make a biofuel blend with a good part ethanol that will give very good mileage, but the cost is still very high. I made a gasoline additive that improves both mileage and horsepower, but I had problems. I don’t have enough money to produce a professional looking container (to sell it in) and customers are big on brand names. In the future I will advertise and explain how it works. For now I am using it myself with very good results. Also keep in mind, your car can be converted to run on many different fuels, but the suppliers would only raise the price on that as well. My best advice to you is to get a horse or use dogs to pull you around on roller blades or a wagon. Remember the Amish have been doing very well using horses and only use oil to light their lamps at night. The problem isn’t oil companies, the problem is the stock market. The globalist plan is to make capitalism so ugly that we will welcome communism with open arms. The best way to make biofuels work is to get rid of the property tax for farmers.

An interesting alternative that I saw on the news awhile back...

www.greasecar.com

Kills two birds with one stone - it's supposedly a less-polluting form of fuel, and takes the used vegetable oil off the hands of restaurant owners who'd otherwise have to pay to have it trucked out.

- M<P ID="signature">______________
Marcus McBride
Supermixx/XM
Select Mix</P>

Another thought...

Anyone think the demand for hybrid cars might see a slight jump if things go really sour with the present oil situation?

I'm already on board ('03 Civic Hybrid), but my understanding from a few friends in the car business is that there's already a high demand for certain hybrid models in certain areas. The Honda dealer in SoCal that I bought mine from couldn't keep them on the lot; they were selling that fast. I'm wondering if a major hike in fuel prices might cement the deal for people who were already considering them.

- M<P ID="signature">______________
Marcus McBride
Supermixx/XM
Select Mix</P>

Re: Another thought...

> Anyone think the demand for hybrid cars might see a slight
> jump if things go really sour with the present oil
> situation?

Folks in Milwaukee are already trading in their SUVs for hybrids. In fact, story on Fox 6 last night, a couple went in to a dealership and test drove a used Toyota Prius hybrid. They got back to the dealership, went inside to ask the manager a question, and when they got back outside, somebody else had already bought the car and was driving it off the lot.

One of the bigger dealers in the area was quoted as saying he has two hybrids in stock right now, and his waiting list went from two months to six months.<P ID="signature">______________
Dan Cooper
AM540 The Word/105.3 The Fish Milwaukee, WI
Notice: My views, opinions, and statements are my own, not those of Salem Communications, its employees, partners, affiliates, or sponsors.</P>

> else tried this?
>
(haven't read other responses yet)

I'm going to say this might be considered illegal unless you can obtain the proper local permits and whatever.

But seeing as my job is under 2 miles away, I am highly considering repairing my 10-speed, or just buying a new bicycle (I looked at prices the other day and they are actually cheaper now than when I bought this other one nearly 20 years ago).

(/serious mode off)

Of course this is not going to be as effective once they start taxing foot traffic going across the portland bridge (arrigoni for you sticklers). No they haven't announced it yet, but I'm sure eventually they will be taxing for all distances travelled once they get everyone tagged with under the skin RFID chips.

Re: Another thought...

> Anyone think the demand for hybrid cars might see a slight
> jump if things go really sour with the present oil
> situation?

The last time gas prices experienced a sustained increase, in the summer of 2002 I believe, Volkswagen dealers everywhere were sold out of diesel-powered TDI models. I would be very surprised if there was NOT a significant increase in demand for diesel-powered passenger vehicles (now including Mercedes-Benz, Jeep, and Dodge, as well as VW) as a result of these high fuel prices today. It will also increase the resale value of used diesel cars & trucks. Used diesel Volkswagens are already selling for up to TWICE the resale value of equivalent gasoline models!
noiboc.jpg
</P>

No Easy Answers

> It will also increase the resale value of used diesel cars & trucks.
> Used diesel Volkswagens are already selling for up to TWICE
> the resale value of equivalent gasoline models!

Careful there. Diesels are known to generate a lot more soot and other types of pollution that are now under much stricter controls in some states. You may not be able to get that old diesel through your state inspection anymore. And, diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded in a lot of places, which will lower your savings.

I love the ideas of hybrids, but I live in a northern state that uses a lot of road salt during our interminable winters. I'm still wondering how the batteries will hold up in 0 degree weather, how the added weight will affect handling in snow, and if road salt will react with the electric drive system to create more corrosion than is typical with an internal combustion engine. I'm sure that it's all sealed and shielded - but if you've replaced a CV boot, you'll understand just how well that sealing and shielding works in northern climates.

> else tried this?

This reminds me... has anyone else heard anything about those guys in Clearwater who're working on a water-based engine? Last I heard, they've already got a car that runs half on water, half on gas, and they're supposedly working with Detroit on a full-water engine. I saw this on a local newscast here in Michigan and rejoiced, but I haven't heard anything about it since. Anyone else hear about it, and if so, any ideas as to what's going on with the project?

Post 893 dedicated to 89.3 WJKN, Jackson, MI, which could be put to better use by remaining "Power Praise FM" while sister station WSAE flips to Christian CHR. But that ain't gonna happen.<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie
http://theradioblog.blogspot.com</P>

You created an Alternative & an Additive to Gasoline

Yet it's too expensive to make a nice looking bottle? Why not put it in a Mason Jar, Print a label on your Computer, and call it Mason's Gas extender?. When you advertise it on TV, the magic price to charge is always $19.95. Make sure to Patent your product first, but I know your Mind is on the packaging.

> I spent the last 2 years working on this. The problem with
> biofuels is the high cost. I can make a biofuel blend with a
> good part ethanol that will give very good mileage, but the
> cost is still very high. I made a gasoline additive that
> improves both mileage and horsepower, but I had problems. I
> don’t have enough money to produce a professional looking
> container (to sell it in) and customers are big on brand
> names. In the future I will advertise and explain how it
> works. For now I am using it myself with very good results.
> Also keep in mind, your car can be converted to run on many
> different fuels, but the suppliers would only raise the
> price on that as well. My best advice to you is to get a
> horse or use dogs to pull you around on roller blades or a
> wagon. Remember the Amish have been doing very well using
> horses and only use oil to light their lamps at night. The
> problem isn’t oil companies, the problem is the stock
> market. The globalist plan is to make capitalism so ugly
> that we will welcome communism with open arms. The best way
> to make biofuels work is to get rid of the property tax for
> farmers.
>

Re: You created an Alternative & an Additive to Gasoline

> Yet it's too expensive to make a nice looking bottle? Why
> not put it in a Mason Jar, Print a label on your Computer,
> and call it Mason's Gas extender?. When you advertise it on
> TV, the magic price to charge is always $19.95. Make sure to
> Patent your product first, but I know your Mind is on the
> packaging.
>
I have been out and about looking at what's out there. I have some different bottles here and I have a very plain label. People feel funny trying anything new. They like name brands they can trust. Even my best friends are tough to sell to. I found most people want a cheap product and I cannot compete with Wall Mart. For the time and effort I decided to make a very high quality product, but like I said, the big spenders always stay with a name they know. I do have a unique ingredient though (it burns clean) and I was told the oil companies would get so mad they would try to kill me. I am tempted to go on the radio and just share it with everyone, but most people are afraid to make the stuff at home and I doubt any would try it. I read a booklet presented to congress by the ethanol lobby and I found it was full of lies and half-truths, hence we now have re-formulated oxygenated fuels. That adds to the high cost of gas. I could write a book on all the trouble lawmakers have caused in this matter. I blame it on corruption and stupidity.

Re: No Easy Answers

> Careful there. Diesels are known to generate a lot more soot
> and other types of pollution that are now under much
> stricter controls in some states.

Europe has solved the diesel emissions problem with particulate trap filters. However, this technology requires low-sulfur diesel fuel, which is not yet widely available in North America. New low-sulfur standards for U.S. diesel fuel are supposed to be implemented next year, after which point our diesel fuel will be pure enough for these new emissions control devices to work properly. (Low-sulfur diesel fuel will also help to clean up the emissions of all existing diesel-powered vehicles, although not as greatly.)

> You may not be able to get
> that old diesel through your state inspection anymore.

A vehicle can only be tested and judged according to the emissions standards in place when it was built. It has to be done that way, otherwise all gas-powered vehicles built prior to 1996 would have to be taken off the road and junked because they don't meet the current 1996+ "OBD II" emissions standards.

Furthermore, in many states there basically is no emissions testing for diesel cars and light-duty diesel trucks. Here in NJ none of my diesel cars have ever been subjected to emissions testing. NJ only requires emissions testing for heavy-duty diesel trucks, to help get the horrendously smoky ones repaired or off the road entirely. Only a small minority of passenger cars are diesel-powered, thus strict emissions testing for them is not seen as a priority compared to emissions testing for the large majority of gasoline-powered cars.

> And,
> diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded in a lot of
> places, which will lower your savings.

Right now in my area of NJ, diesel is selling for 25 to 40 cents per gallon less than regular-grade gasoline. Although I don't expect that kind of major difference to last, even before this week's price hikes, diesel was already selling for slightly less than regular-grade gas.
noiboc.jpg
</P>

> else tried this?
>
What about the Fischer-Tropsch method of turning coal into gas, diesel, and aviation fuel or the experimental oil shale removal process being tested by Shell? There's enough oil shale in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming to meet 1/4 of our oil needs for 400 years. Somewhere around 5 trillion barrels of oil are locked in oil shale here at home. That should be enough to get us through to the point where we develop fossil fuel alternatives.

The other problem lies in the fact that both sides have created the refining issues we now have. Environmentalists have made it damn near impossible to get a permit to build a refinery and these tight-assed oil companies don't wanna plunk down the $500 million to $1 billion it'd take to build a refinery because they'd rather rape us with high gas prices.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom