• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alt 104.5 No Longer "Rocks"

Saw this on Facebook, where they recently made a very subtle change to their logo. Now they are "Philadelphia's Alternative" instead of "Philly's Alternative Rock." Probably Mike Kaplan putting his touch on things. Website hasn't changed yet.

Just something new to over-analyze now that the WJBR hubbub is over!
1697216931721.jpeg

1697217628168.jpeg

Perhaps I'm biased considering the station I run (WZML) but WRFF hasn't been Alt Rock in ages. And the alt rock they do play is the same few songs beaten into the ground like a dead horse. Oh wow! Learn To Fly for the millionth time! Wow! I've never heard smells like teen spirit on the radio before!

So yeah, allow to me say if you want real alternative variety, give us a shot haha.

They havent “Rocked” since the Radio 1045 era. Same songs over and over, no rarities like there used to be. Wish i recorded that station more back in the day, because it used to be awesome. Sucks for the listeners, but its all about the dollar so if its making them some loot, good for them. It was way less repetitive back in the day, thats for sure. There was a good one up in Hazleton called Fuzz 92.1 for awhile, that got ruined too when it became “Alt 921”

This is a classic Kaplanism. He does not believe "rock" is relevant today. Not going to adjudicate that, but his career speaks for itself if you catch my drift.

Per NY Times:
“We don’t even say the word ‘rock’ on the radio station — we’re New York’s new alternative,” said Mike Kaplan, the ALT 92.3 program director and format captain for alternative across Entercom, the station’s parent company, in an earlier interview. “I don’t think there’s a big win in using the word rock today,” he added.

Alternative can be a lot more than rock in the traditional sense, so it’s not necessarily a stupid move, even if the playlist is mostly rock. It opens the door for more variety to be added in to the playlist that might not fall under “rock.”
It always was more than rock, tho i do get your point. Alternative has been a very broad term for years.

Considering that the station has been playing Eminem's "Without Me," a song that definitely does not belong in the Alternative category IMO, alongside "Chemical" by Post Malone, this is oddly not a surprising move.
Without me peaked at 15 at alternative, and must test well as a consensus gold for them to play it. Post Malone charted at Alt as well. Listeners must like them for stations to play it.

They probably now mean all types of Alternative and not just Alternative Rock. Many stations have done this before when they added songs from TikTok into the format.

Back
Top Bottom