• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

All I want for Christmas is an HD radio

But will I get it? I don't think so. If IBOC wants to be successful, it should have pushed its receivers this holiday season.<P ID="signature">______________
17-year-old radio geek
AIM: KewlDude471
WWPH 107.9 FM: http://wwph1079fm.no-ip.org</P>

IBOC Will Start Massive Defections to Other Media

It's just as well that they're not available. Maybe it will buy us another year as profitable terrestrial broadcasters.

I believe that if we think we have problems now, IBOC will exaserbate market fragmentation. This market chop-up will be casued by not only what we inflict upon ourselves by providing new channels, slicing our pie even more, but it will also be caused when people, looking for something else because we gave them the notion that there was something new and wonderful out there (we meant IBOC, of course), started sampling the market, they will find something else and will be gone.

Re: IBOC Will Start Massive Defections to Other Media

> It's just as well that they're not available. Maybe it will
> buy us another year as profitable terrestrial broadcasters.
>
> I believe that if we think we have problems now, IBOC will
> exaserbate market fragmentation. This market chop-up will
> be casued by not only what we inflict upon ourselves by
> providing new channels, slicing our pie even more, but it
> will also be caused when people, looking for something else
> because we gave them the notion that there was something new
> and wonderful out there (we meant IBOC, of course), started
> sampling the market, they will find something else and will
> be gone.
>

Orrrr...

You can look at this "slicing up" as a way to maintain hold on an audience, and perhap interest in people that have not been listening to radio.

If you have a cluster of stations and you spread it out over a number of stations what difference does it make?

What difference it makes is that at some point the economic Law of Diminishing Returns cuts the margins away and no station is profitable.

> What difference it makes is that at some point the economic
> Law of Diminishing Returns cuts the margins away and no
> station is profitable.
>

I dont see that happening with HD Radio. HD does not fragment so much as to get to that point.

In addition, newer "spectrum based" technologies will become available through HD Radio. Something that satellite cannot provide, especially local content.

> What difference it makes is that at some point the economic
> Law of Diminishing Returns cuts the margins away and no
> station is profitable.

Then how about this as a different spin: Perhaps this will cause the huge conglomerates to rethink their philosophies and divest some of their stations to bring their margins back up?<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom