• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Albany to get an old school Soft AC

So far, if this stations' first day is any indication, it won't really classify as "soft AC". Or it may, but maybe in a different concept than perhaps we might hope.They've advertised Sinatra & Diamond, but haven't heard any yet. Can't see Carpenters, Mathis, or Streisand coming aboard. but... maybe i'm wrong :-\ So far EVERY song has had a "sunny" reference to it. And aside from The Beatles (Here Comes the Sun / I'll Follow the Sun) and John Denver (Sunshine on my Shoulder) many of the selections are very uptempo!

A small sampling;

Don Henley; Sunset Grill
Animals; House of the Rising Sun
Katrina & the Waves; Walkin on Sunshine
Donovan; Sunshine Superman
Eagles; Tequila Sunrise
Shawn Colvin; Sunny Came Home
Sheryl Crow; Soak Up the Sun
Johnathan Edwards; Sunshine

I think you get the idea. Perhaps as they settle-in, the format will evolve.

Well, the truth became known THIS afternoon.

It's NOT SUNNY AT ALL---it's 'HOT' --- literally-- "HOT-Fm."

So.........forget that you EVER heard about it on this board.

DELETE

Even RBW's playlist didn't belong here.

It wasn't a "soft" AC except in comparison to today's so-called "Lite" stations. I do wish they'd take "soft AC" out of the name of this board because that just confuses people. That plus the misnaming of stations like WDUV.

That's right! They should take "Soft AC" out of the name of this board and add it to the name of the "Adult Contemporary" board.

Over the past decade the line between the Soft AC format and the AC format has blurred completely. The Soft AC format plays everything from Elton John and Rod Stewart to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and the AC format also plays everything from Elton John and Rod Stewart to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. NO DIFFERENCE!

The Easy Listening/Adult Standards format is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from the Soft Adult Contemporary/Adult Contemporary format. The format is based-on Elton John, Rod Stewart, Paul Davis, Ambrosia, The Carpenters, Barry Manilow, Barbra Streisand, and such and that the format is 100% (not 99.9%) safe from Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taio Cruz, and Black Eyed Peas. Even safe from Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, and Natasha Bedingfield!

Some use the term "Supersoft AC" to describe a station like WDUV or WFEZ. I think even that could be a misnomer because such stations play very little in the way of "contemporary" music (which is exactly why I like such stations, so I view that as an asset in terms of my personal preference). "Gold-Based Soft AC" might be better, or other terms I've seen poking around certain sites include "Soft Oldies" and "Adult Gold." I think the appropriate term for such a format should make it clear that it plays little if any current music.

Otherwise it seems like the only thing that separates so-called "soft AC" from mainstream AC is that so-called "soft AC" stations play the occasional token Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan, or Michael Bolton song mixed in with the Elton John, Rod Stewart, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.

ChrisInMI said:
Some use the term "Supersoft AC" to describe a station like WDUV or WFEZ. I think even that could be a misnomer because such stations play very little in the way of "contemporary" music (which is exactly why I like such stations, so I view that as an asset in terms of my personal preference). "Gold-Based Soft AC" might be better, or other terms I've seen poking around certain sites include "Soft Oldies" and "Adult Gold." I think the appropriate term for such a format should make it clear that it plays little if any current music.

Otherwise it seems like the only thing that separates so-called "soft AC" from mainstream AC is that so-called "soft AC" stations play the occasional token Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan, or Michael Bolton song mixed in with the Elton John, Rod Stewart, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.

I like the monikers "Soft Hits"; "Light Hits"; "Easy Hits" or something similar. If you insist, the prefix 'classic or 'traditional' may be appropriate.

Magic 590 does a good job serving the audience who would be interested in a Soft traditional ac/easy listening.

I doubt in spite how well 590 shows that any FM will ever adopt this format again. Like 50s/60s oldies, the demos are too old for
an FM station. Not going to happen. Except perhaps in retirement areas.

There is no such thing as Soft AC anymore either. Those stations all evolved to mainstream AC or in some cases "greatest hits."

Mainstream AC targets a 40 year old female. And today's 40 year old female is generally accepting of CHR music. So the mainstream ACs are quite comfortable sprinkling in Gaga or Katy Perry. There really is no such thing as an "AC only" hit today. The currents come from other formats after they've been established.

Seltzer said:
Magic 590 does a good job serving the audience who would be interested in a Soft traditional ac/easy listening.

I doubt in spite how well 590 shows that any FM will ever adopt this format again. Like 50s/60s oldies, the demos are too old for
an FM station. Not going to happen. Except perhaps in retirement areas.
Which is why (I suppose) WFEZ and WDUV do so well in their respective areas in Florida.

It seems like 590 is doing respectable and I was thinking this might be something that a struggling AM with a halfway decent signal (for its market) could try.

Seltzer said:
There is no such thing as Soft AC anymore either. Those stations all evolved to mainstream AC or in some cases "greatest hits."
Hence my suggestions for the monikers in my previous post.

Seltzer said:
Mainstream AC targets a 40 year old female. And today's 40 year old female is generally accepting of CHR music. So the mainstream ACs are quite comfortable sprinkling in Gaga or Katy Perry. There really is no such thing as an "AC only" hit today. The currents come from other formats after they've been established.
Good point, but sometimes you just want to listen to something no one else will offer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom