• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Airchecks: KMCK (K-106) Siloam Springs and KCIZ Springdale 21 March 1982

In March 1982, my family and I had a chance to drive to northwest Arkansas and visit relaives. Just before heading home, I recorded two hours of a couple of stations to take back as a 'souvenir' of my trip. One hour was from my personal favorite, KMCK, then known as "K-106." As there were no Top-40 stations in St. Louis in 1982, a station like K-106 was a breath of fresh air to my ears.

The second hour was from a station I also enjoyed--KCIZ Springdale. Back then, their studios were located on Quandt Street, not far away from my grandmother's house (on Meadow). KSPR/KCIZ was the first radio station I had ever visited.
From 1976 to at least 1983, KCIZ ran as an automated station, running pre-recorded time checks, and open reel tape. This recording contains crosstalk, which came from their sister station, which was then known as KQXK, and ran a country format.

There were quite a few commercials on these recordings, especially considering these was recorded on a Sunday afternoon. It's a real time capsule, and a reminder of how the region has changed from then to now.

For those interested, Here are KMCK and KCIZ recorded on the early afternoon hours of 21 March 1982. These files are encoded at 192/44.1.

The KMCK files can be found at this folder link:

http://www.4shared.com/folder/xZvhPoRj/21_March_1982.html

The KCIZ files can be found at this link:

http://www.4shared.com/folder/xXAn5VSD/21_March_1982.html

Thanks for sharing this. Nice flashback! I used to listen to K-106 when I lived in Bartlesville Oklahoma in the early 80's. Some nights it's 100K signal would really boom over there.

Tulsa didn't have any Top 40 stations for part of 1981-2, so K-106 was the only Top 40 I could get until KAYI "KAY-107" (Now KHTT "K-Hits") came on the air in the summer of 1982.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! Maybe it is because top 40 in March 1982 was still coming out of the post-disco hangover period but KCIZ seemed a little more AC-ish than I remember when they were "KC-105" in the mid to late 80s. Sometime in the mid 80s, their studio moved to Sunset Avenue. It was about this time that KCIZ become KC-105 and KQ-16 became oldies Sweet 16.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! Maybe it is because top 40 in March 1982 was still coming out of the post-disco hangover period but KCIZ seemed a little more AC-ish than I remember when they were "KC-105" in the mid to late 80s. Sometime in the mid 80s, their studio moved to Sunset Avenue. It was about this time that KCIZ become KC-105 and KQ-16 became oldies Sweet 16.

Plenty of AC and even country crossovers on the charts in March 1982 -- "Key Largo," "Leader of the Band," "Theme from 'Chariots of Fire'," "Somewhere Down the Road," even Alabama's "Love in the First Degree" and Kenny Rogers' "Through the Years." The MTV era was just beginning, with video-friendly songs like "Centerfold" and "Do You Believe in Love."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom