• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

After NPR's Major Layoff, Employees Accuse CEO of Racism

Not been a good year so far for NPR. Such a shame to see such a quality organization go through so many tumultuous troubles. I hope they can work it out.
---------------------------------------
Wow, it seems that zero hedge dot com is an unacceptable site from which to post content. My apologies for the inadvertent postcrime. It is a relevant story about radio, not politics, and zero hedge is primarily a finance and economics site (as implied by its name), so the content moderation is a bit baffling.

Last edited:

Not been a good year so far for NPR. Such a shame to see such a quality organization go through so many tumultuous troubles. I hope they can work it out.
---------------------------------------
Wow, it seems that zero hedge dot com is an unacceptable site from which to post content. My apologies for the inadvertent postcrime. It is a relevant story about radio, not politics, and zero hedge is primarily a finance and economics site (as implied by its name), so the content moderation is a bit baffling.

That's weird. ZH has a lot of crazy commenters and fear mongering headlines, but I check in there regularly and if you did too you would have known about what became Covid months before regularly people.

Keep in mind that NPR CEO John Lansing previously worked in the Trump administration.

And anyone can accuse anyone of racism, as we have seen. It doesn't mean it's true.

When there are large amounts of layoffs or reductions at larger companies or in the case of broadcasting, across an entire industry, individual discrimination cases are probably difficult to prove.

When there are large amounts of layoffs or reductions at larger companies or in the case of broadcasting, across an entire industry, individual discrimination cases are probably difficult to prove.

Also keep in mind that NPR production staffers are members of AFTRA, so they will have union representation in any case.

Also keep in mind that NPR production staffers are members of AFTRA, so they will have union representation in any case.
The benefits of which are debatable in cases of RIFs. I worked at at AFTRA facility where one of their stations went automated and a short time later all their stations were sold, both of which resulted in staffing reductions. Some of the airstaff had been paying dues for years and in the end got little support or assistance or "representation" to show for it. About the only action I remember AFTRA taking is when all the remaining staff aside from the shop steward voted to ditch them and they sent the NLRB in to find out why.

Gee, Frank, maybe it was blocked because of stuff like this:

US accuses financial website of spreading Russian propaganda
I tried to find a follow-up with specifics on this as well as more specific data on the alleged "propaganda"

Forbes says, "The AP story did not quote any on-the-record sources or offer definitive proof of ties between Russia and Zero Hedge. U.S. officials have faced occasional criticism for releasing Russia-related allegations with limited evidence: Most recently, reporters grilled the State Department for not offering evidence of a Russian plot to stage a false Ukrainian attack.

It's obvious that a Bulgarian website might arouse suspicions based on its Soviet bloc history and current alliances, but all the articles (and there are lots of them for sure) point more to failure to verify data and sources than any agenda.

Their economic position is what researchers would call "outlier territory" as it is not mirrored by any traditional economic thought centers in any position on the socioeconomic spectrum.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom