• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

After 95 years, 990 WCAZ Carthage IL is deleted

Was it Republican in the 30s?

that should be NOT trying to start an argument. sorry fingers faster than the brain.

I had the "pleasure" of working with one of their former sales guys. Almost every day I was reminded how "non" historical the Nashville market was.

It is amazing that WNOX did not grab a better channel and more power but East Tenn traditionally is Republican, and the big shuffle was on FDR's watch.

I was just recently informed about this issue by a former employee of the station. This is very upsetting to me personally, as I am Bob Compton's granddaughter and my parents ran the station for many years. I have not lived in Carthage for a number of years and so have not really kept up with the station since my family sold it, I believe sometime in the early 80's. I understand some local people tried to purchase the station after the FCC issues started but the owner would not sell. I don't know if they will be able to work with the FCC to take it over at this point. I can offer my view on why the station was no longer successful. From the time Bob Compton moved to Carthage until my family sold the station, it was being run by local people. Everyone for three counties around knew who the family was. My dad was active in almost every organization in the community. He briefly served as mayor of Carthage. Mom was no slouch in participating in activities either. The community knew them and trusted them and were happy to support the station and the activities it sponsored. It is my feeling that once the station was sold, the new owners had no particular connection to the area. When my dad passed away, I was told numerous times how much people missed his voice on the radio. There was a disconnect between the station that was supposed to serve the community and the involvement of the station owners in the past. Without that connection, which as far as I know was never re-established, the community turned to other sources. Personally I think that's one of the problems with owners of any business who are not invested in the communities where they operate. I am deeply sorry that the legacy of the station my grandfather built has been thrown away.

In recent days on another site dedicated to the sale of broadcast equipment, it looks like all the former WCAZ equipment is for sale. Sad footnote for what was a proud small town station that had been among the 100 oldest broadcast licenses in the US.

Meanwhile, about 200 miles northwest is another 1 kilowatter on 990, KAYL Storm Lake IA, which went Spanish as "Juan 990 and 99.9" a few years back to serve a growing local Mexican community. Wonder what the economics would be in turning up the juice to 10 kW or maybe 25 kW for KAYL 990, with WCAZ gone, to serve a number of isolated small town Mexican populations that are too small by themselves to support a Spanish language station.

Meanwhile, about 200 miles northwest is another 1 kilowatter on 990, KAYL Storm Lake IA, which went Spanish as "Juan 990 and 99.9" a few years back to serve a growing local Mexican community. Wonder what the economics would be in turning up the juice to 10 kW or maybe 25 kW for KAYL 990, with WCAZ gone, to serve a number of isolated small town Mexican populations that are too small by themselves to support a Spanish language station.

KAYL is 250 watts, 6 watts at night. There's a problem with the 50KW blowtorch on 990 in Winnipeg. Besides, during tower maintenance a few weeks ago with the AM off for long periods, we had no complaints, most of the audience is listening to the 250 watt translator on 99.9. There really isn't much money in serving the hispanic community, mostly little mom and pop businesses with little to no money to spend on advertising.

KAYL is 250 watts, 6 watts at night. There's a problem with the 50KW blowtorch on 990 in Winnipeg. Besides, during tower maintenance a few weeks ago with the AM off for long periods, we had no complaints, most of the audience is listening to the 250 watt translator on 99.9. There really isn't much money in serving the hispanic community, mostly little mom and pop businesses with little to no money to spend on advertising.

Looks like I typed on assumption looking at RadioTimeTraveler's coverage maps...KAYL and WCEZ covered about the same amount of dirt, but should have known NW Iowa dirt is just that much better. Farm broadcasting might be a tough nut with WNAX not that far away. How much ag does KWMT do?...was back within range a couple weeks ago and seems like they are more oriented towards classic country.

Forgot about protecting class A Winnipeg during critical hours...you're right, that's enough to make a KAYL upgrade a non-starter..

It's 2018... does ag programming move the needle in any way? Three main reasons:

1. Even in little towns, there's not very many decision-making farmers. I'd guess in the coverage area of KAYL there's 200-400 decision makers, around 1-1.5% of the county population. The rest of the "farmers" are hired hands, part-time, or landowners who cash rent.

2. Those decision-makers will throw around a lot of money every year, but it's almost all put back into agricultural products. The question is, whether a 250 watt station in Storm Lake, Iowa can get any money out of a very small number of potential clients who sell seed, fertilizers, herbicides, and tractors. But there's a catch: If you take programs from any of the syndicators such as Brownfield, they will have contracts with those groups of clients as part of the barter for airing the program. How much extra would Monsanto or Bayer or Mahindra pay to be on your ag-formated station, on top of the network ads?

3. Even in rural parts of the corn belt, there is usually enough cell service to check prices on your phone. No need to wait until 12:20 for the mid-day markets.

It's 2018... does ag programming move the needle in any way?

Yes, it still does. I understand KWMT outbills all their FMs. WNAX still does well, as does KICD-FM in Spencer and WHO. KICD-FM in particular has the farm audience around Spencer and Storm Lake. We do make money from local farm advertisers on our two FMs and have Brownfield on both. Brownfield isn't barter, they pay compensation for running their spots. They sort of serve as our farm ag rep, getting agency business we couldn't get on our own. The farmers may prefer KICD or KWMT for farm news, but they listen to KAYL-FM for local news and sports.

As I posted previously, my family owned the station through my grandfather, Bob Compton. I was very distressed to see what had become of our station. I have now been told that a group of local businessmen have purchased an AM station from Macomb, IL and will be moving it to Carthage. They will likely get the call letters back, but will be on 1510 AM. During our tenure as owners, the station usually had about 7 employees. Dad was manager/announcer, mom was office manager/announcer, and I was whatever was needed as I grew up. We had a receptionist and about 3 or 4 announcers. Dad was on almost every board and committee in town, so he was always on the local news. Our listeners ranged from 3 counties around, and we were the daily source of local information. The programming was mixed and I would say about 70% music. I am hopeful that the new owners will return to a similar format that provides a variety for our rural listeners. I haven't been back to Carthage in about 10 years but I'm hoping to make a trip there next year to see what changes have occurred.

Likely Not

[ I have now been told that a group of local businessmen have purchased an AM station from Macomb, IL and will be moving it to Carthage. They will likely get the call letters back, but will be on 1510 AM.]

I would not be so sure. The current licensee (Virden) has a FM translator associated with the station. Which usually cements the station or makes it much more costly or complex to buy.

Second, the FCC rules requires a community of license must maintain at least one license in a given service/band. IOW, a station which is the only station assigned to that community in a band can not move without a replacement being moved in to take it's place. Since the 1510 is the only AM station assigned to Macomb proper, the FCC will block/reject any attempt to move the community of license. The only possible way to cover Carthage is to insure the 5mV contour will reach both communities. Something next to impossible with 1KW at the top of the band. Never mind the complexities of moving the translator with it.

FWIW, those are very separate communities and cultures, each being county seats of their respective counties (Hancock and McDonough). It would be a terrible move to try and cover both. Never mind, Macomb is the far larger and healthier community commercially. And with the ever increasing noise floor, covering both would be futile.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's the way it is....When WCAZ went away, it's really did go away.... Let it go....

RG

[ I have now been told that a group of local businessmen have purchased an AM station from Macomb, IL and will be moving it to Carthage. They will likely get the call letters back, but will be on 1510 AM.]

I would not be so sure. The current licensee (Virden) has a FM translator associated with the station. Which usually cements the station or makes it much more costly or complex to buy.

Second, the FCC rules requires a community of license must maintain at least one license in a given service/band. IOW, a station which is the only station assigned to that community in a band can not move without a replacement being moved in to take it's place. Since the 1510 is the only AM station assigned to Macomb proper, the FCC will block/reject any attempt to move the community of license.

RG

I believe you're incorrect on the need to maintain service to a community of license in each band. The only requirement is that a local service is maintained, but that can be either AM or FM.

Moving 1510 to Carthage wouldn't be impossible, but I'd have to say the economics of it make it a long shot at best.

Second, the FCC rules requires a community of license must maintain at least one license in a given service/band. IOW, a station which is the only station assigned to that community in a band can not move without a replacement being moved in to take it's place. Since the 1510 is the only AM station assigned to Macomb proper, the FCC will block/reject any attempt to move the community of license. The only possible way to cover Carthage is to insure the 5mV contour will reach both communities. Something next to impossible with 1KW at the top of the band. Never mind the complexities of moving the translator with it.

FWIW, those are very separate communities and cultures, each being county seats of their respective counties (Hancock and McDonough). It would be a terrible move to try and cover both. Never mind, Macomb is the far larger and healthier community commercially. And with the ever increasing noise floor, covering both would be futile.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's the way it is....When WCAZ went away, it's really did go away.... Let it go....

RG

FCCdata.org (RECNet) is reporting this transaction (the proposed 1510 move from Macomb to Carthage) was accepted for filing on July 27. Nothing on the FCC's AM query, however:

https://fccdata.org/?call=wyec&facid=&city=&state=&ccode=1&country=US

1510 has gone religious, however, since about 2015, but still owned by Virden Broadcasting--who also owns the Kewanee-area stations in addition to the remaining Macomb commercial FM's, and just bought Canton's WBYS-AM/WCDD-FM. Could one of Virden's current stations have had to go bye-bye as a result of buying the Canton pair, which could possibly be Macomb's 1510?

The application you mentioned is simply for the transfer of ownership isn't it? W226CH (the translator) has a similar license assignment application.

Current FCC rules are band specific

I believe you're incorrect on the need to maintain service to a community of license in each band. The only requirement is that a local service is maintained, but that can be either AM or FM.

Incorrect. A client tried to move a couple stations and were denied by the FCC as each was the only AM station assigned to the community. Each had FM's assigned to the same communities.

RR

There is nothing inherently wrong with trying to bring back the past for nostalgia's sake. My prior comments remain valid However. Given the spatial diversity between the two cities/counties, I just don't see this being economically viable as a business to try and cover both Macomb and Carthage given the signal for the station must continue to provide 5mV/M contour over the majority of Macomb.

There is nothing inherently wrong with trying to bring back the past for nostalgia's sake. My prior comments remain valid However. Given the spatial diversity between the two cities/counties, I just don't see this being economically viable as a business to try and cover both Macomb and Carthage given the signal for the station must continue to provide 5mV/M contour over the majority of Macomb.

The plan is to eventually move the AM on 1510 into Carthage using the old 990 tower I think... the Translator where its got a CP for now is because it cant exede a certain contour of the AM.. i suspect when the AM moves, the translator will be further improved.

I'm not aware of the requirement to maintain one service in each band, never heard that one...

If they want to move the AM, and they do.. it'll be easy.. the FCC will look very favorably upon restoring service to a community that lost it.

These guys have the great potential to do well.. no one wil lget rich, but theyll do well.... the folks involved are all western illinois folks, including several radio people, one a carthage native.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom