• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Advertising to Casual Listeners in Offices

People listening in offices use the radio for background music. They are obviously not paying close attention to the radio as they must do their jobs. Are advertisements effective in formats that appeal to such listeners?

Are advertisements effective in formats that appeal to such listeners?

That's a question to ask advertisers. They know what they're buying and they see the data. The major agencies do their own research on the effectiveness of their ads in all situations. How effective are TV ads when people have the volume off?

The other thing is advertisers don't just buy one spot. They buy time across multiple dayparts in order to improve their chances of reaching potential customers. However, some formats are difficult to sell during the middle of the day. Less interest in buying ad time during the work day is partly what leads to those dayparts either being unhosted or voicetracked from outside the market. No sense staffing a time that isn't bought.

Here's the secret: Many jobs do not actually require 40 hours per week, so that gives staff time to tune into the radio if they choose.

For example, a tax accountant is slammed from January 1 to mid-April, and probably has some busier weeks when quarterly filings for businesses come due, but it's probably going to be pretty slow in their office this coming week.

Foreground or Background, Advertising is still digested by the brain. The level of importance the brain gives the information is key in this situation. I'd love to see data on that.

Back in the pre-internet days, in a car far from where I lived, I was a passenger. We got a flat, changed it to the spare that wasn't much better. Stopping at a restaurant, those of us in the car had passed a billboard for a tire shop with emergency service. Opening the phone book, we saw their yellow pages ad and told the driver to call this guy because they offered emergency service. None of us specifically recalled the billboard until prompted because we were ignoring billboards but we digested the info anyway and recalled it when prompted by the sight of the shop's logo.

In the above situation, we were not in the market for a tire store. Then we were in a short amount of time. So, it seems it's remembered when not in the market for the product. The big question is how long the info is retained. I think it would be longer, much longer, if you are in the market for the product.

The classic case is advertising for new cars and car dealers. Most of us are not in the market for a vehicle for more than, perhaps, one month out of every 60. So the dealers know that only around 2% of the people who hear their ad will pay any attention to it... yet winning a percentage of that 2% is still financially justifiable and they keep buying ads.

The classic case is advertising for new cars and car dealers. Most of us are not in the market for a vehicle for more than, perhaps, one month out of every 60. So the dealers know that only around 2% of the people who hear their ad will pay any attention to it... yet winning a percentage of that 2% is still financially justifiable and they keep buying ads.
If you can beat your brand into people's heads in the meantime, they're likely to remember when it is time. If I was looking for carpet (now whatever other markets they're in.), what's the first business I think of? (800)588-2300. Empire.

If you can beat your brand into people's heads in the meantime, they're likely to remember when it is time. If I was looking for carpet (now whatever other markets they're in.), what's the first business I think of? (800)588-2300. Empire.
But there is a difference. Most of us don't know one carpet brand from another, so the dealer and their pricing are key.

With cars, we have strong brand preferences based on a variety of criteria ranging from personal image enhancement to economy to brand loyalty. We have little or no loyalty to dealers... most of us detest car dealers in fact. So when the time comes for a change, much of the decision is about the brand and not the dealer.

We have little or no loyalty to dealers... most of us detest car dealers in fact. So when the time comes for a change, much of the decision is about the brand and not the dealer.
Sites that tell us what people in our zip code are paying for the particular car and options we're looking for, has improved the consumer experience by leaps and bounds IMO. When buying my last car, I went to the dealership with a printout of the Blue Book value of my existing car, and the printout from one of the sites that tells me what I should pay for the car I was buying. Also to my advantage was the fact that I wasn't in a hurry to buy. I wasn't terribly unhappy with the car I had and if the new one I wanted could be had for the right price, then so be it. If no, I walked away, no harm done.

I sat down and they played the game where the salesman went to his managers office to get the best deal possible for me. He came back and started asking where I needed my monthly payments to be, which is BS, because they could just stretch out the amount of months it'd take me to repay, in order to get it down to the monthly payment I wanted to hit. When I pressed, he gave me a solid number for the price of the car with trade. I gave him the KBB and TrueCar printouts and said, give me these prices or better, or I walk. His initial offer was about 4 thousand $$ off from where I needed to be. He scurried back for another huddle in his manager's office and returned with the number I told him I needed to see, and I signed on the dotted line. Simple.

If you're willing to buy sight unseen, there are other sites available that could possibly help one save even more and have your car purchase delivered to your home.

Sites that tell us what people in our zip code are paying for the particular car and options we're looking for, has improved the consumer experience by leaps and bounds IMO.
All of what you mention increases the need of retail dealers to get you to go to them.

I did some curiosity shopping this week for a replacement for a 7-year-old car. I did online submissions to three dealers for the same model and in "notes" I specified that I was asking for quotes for every dealer within 100 miles. The return quotes were within a couple of hundred dollars of each other, and all were at the low end of the online sources for price estimates.

As you say, it is much better than walking into a dealer where you are just an "up" and they try to talk you into a deal.

They will still try to talk you into added things you don't need. I'm in Palm Springs and don't ever need "undercoating" or a temperature cracked glass guarantee.

Apologies for the long response:

I was reading some info given to me by a client recently for their new campaign (it was put out by the peak ‘sleep product’ professional body) focussing on their latest comprehensive survey about the mattress buying habits of people. I found it an amazingly interesting read (but hey! I'm a data nut!).

Their survey showed that they REALLY know their customers. And that they are constantly probing them to find out more.

Don’t believe me…: It used to be said that… “Buying habits of customers change, and if you only have 3 days to make an impact on a client who is only buying once every 15 years…”
* But that 15-year time frame has now compressed. In 2007, it was just over 10 years, in 2016 it is once every 9 years. Now, in 2021, it is expected that the average customer is looking to buy a mattress is closer to 7 years. But buyers also want a product that will last at least 10 before it needs replacing. This means that consumers can take advantage of technological advancements, better comfort and more choices as their bodies change and they age if they buy more frequently.
* And they expect the price… to be higher than last time. In-fact significantly more than last time.

If you owned a mattress store, then you had better be advertising all the time to catch customers, when they are ready to buy. And that means, not just advertising at traditional times, but all the time! Remember: Buying cycles have changed and changed a lot.

If you don’t own a mattress store… then you should either look for data specifically about customers in your industry and their buying habits, and if that data doesn’t exist, then do it yourself. And then adjust your advertising to suit the buying habits of your customers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom